Antique saw thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Because the Super EZ put out tons of compression and they really needed them. 180-190 lbs that I have seen. The 1050's don't put out like that, but the one that floored me was the Super XL925 that did put out 190lb's. They have a much bigger bore and absolutely should have had a decomp. They tear up starter parts a lot.
Mark, while we are on the Super EZ, I have a question. My cousin picked up this 1977 vintage EZ for me. I pulled the plug to see if it has spark. It does. I had a bit of trouble getting the plug back in and took a closer look and the threads look a bit buggered. I carefully got it lined up and it screwed in normally. Put a shot of mix in the carb and would not fire. It has enough compression that I was using the decomp. Was going to pull the muffler to take a look at the piston. I think the WangNut that had the saw put lock tight on the threads, and it has round head screws with stripped straight blade screw driver slots. I'll probably just grind the screw heads off the muffler so I can see inside. In the mean time, is there anything that would keep it from firing with spark, fuel, and what feels like good compression? I've had saws with the spark so weak you could hardly see it in a dark room, and they still fired.
rwzNFNg.jpg

One thing that I was thinking, the saw looks like they used burnt motor oil for bar oil. Every where a rag could not reach, it's black filthy. It looks like the decomp might not be seating tight? But, with the decomp open, it should start, so I figured it would at least pop if the decomp was not sealed. I'm going out now to try and clean up around it.

Mark, while we are on the Super EZ, I have a question. My cousin picked up this 1977 vintage EZ for me. I pulled the plug to see if it has spark. It does. I had a bit of trouble getting the plug back in and took a closer look and the threads look a bit buggered. I carefully got it lined up and it screwed in normally. Put a shot of mix in the carb and would not fire. It has enough compression that I was using the decomp. Was going to pull the muffler to take a look at the piston. I think the WangNut that had the saw put lock tight on the threads, and it has round head screws with stripped straight blade screw driver slots. I'll probably just grind the screw heads off the muffler so I can see inside. In the mean time, is there anything that would keep it from firing with spark, fuel, and what feels like good compression? I've had saws with the spark so weak you could hardly see it in a dark room, and they still fired.
rwzNFNg.jpg

I have had them make spark on a plug outside the saw but was weak and would not fire under compression. I always use a spark tester to check spark. If it will jump the gap on the tester, it will be a good spark. I was looking yesterday, I have a couple SEZ in a box, one complete one not, but both scored, one not terribly. If someone wanted them for parts they can have them for shipping..

Hey Mark, good to hear from you. Couple reasons I was away. I moved out of the city a few years ago, sold off a bunch of saws. Then I was busy doing a lot of work the the house we bought in a town 1/10 the size of where we were which has been the best decision we made. Small town life has suited the whole family well. Also helped my mom and dad move from where they’d been since 79, did some land clearing out there with dad have more to do. Bought a ‘79 c30 Chevy as a parts truck for my ‘84 and that ate up saw time too.
Started on the saws a year or 2 ago popped in here but I didn’t see you or Gregg or mike or any of the guys on the Poulan thread from years ago. Long story long I have slowly been building my shop, changed it twice already got it to a point I like now. I’m going to be posting some more cool stuff I’ll get some more pictures of the saws in that picture soon. Wife has me doing a chair rail and molding boxes in the hall way this weekend maybe I can sneak off.
The 034 is a great saw. I had a real nice one, gave it to my cousin to replace his 290. The 49s are tough, I’ll have to find a cover for it. This guy Steve gets nice stuff, good prices and the old USA stuff he all but gives away
Glad things are good. I have stepped back some and view saws as strictly a hobby, only mess with them when I feel like it now.

FB278AE7-7159-448A-A762-DE86FDBA5289.jpeg
Glad things are good. I have stepped back some and view saws as strictly a hobby, only mess with them when I feel like it now.

Yeah me too. I have sold a lot of mine. There’s still a few that I’ve had since the beginning. One is my thin ring 3.7. It has one of the 5200 style mufflers you made on it. I also added a 4000 intake cover. Use that one often, but still clean. The one Poulan I’m still looking for is a 4200. I’ll find one.

View attachment 802646

Yeah me too. I have sold a lot of mine. There’s still a few that I’ve had since the beginning. One is my thin ring 3.7. It has one of the 5200 style mufflers you made on it. I also added a 4000 intake cover. Use that one often, but still clean. The one Poulan I’m still looking for is a 4200. I’ll find one.
I like your handle. The 25DA is one of my all time favorites. I learned to climb with EZ's and XXV's. I finally picked up a 25 in Sears clothes last year for $15, and it was a screaming runner. I know Mark saw this one a few months ago. I'm not a big Poulan collector, but for $40 I couldn't pass it up. Got it home and it fired on a prime. Filled the tank and 3-4 primes it started and ran fine. An old Stihl dealer in WV cut me a loop of 1/2" for $30.
XGX5TJQ.jpg

I like your handle. The 25DA is one of my all time favorites. I learned to climb with EZ's and XXV's. I finally picked up a 25 in Sears clothes last year for $15, and it was a screaming runner. I know Mark saw this one a few months ago. I'm not a big Poulan collector, but for $40 I couldn't pass it up. Got it home and it fired on a prime. Filled the tank and 3-4 primes it started and ran fine. An old Stihl dealer in WV cut me a loop of 1/2" for $30.
XGX5TJQ.jpg
Yup old sand cast Poulan. Never see them in the north East. My dad heated the house with an S25DA in the 80s

I got the Super 68 at a farm auction in PA. First one I had ever seen. It was advertised as having a 4’ bar. I went through every page of Acres site trying to ID it from the poor pics and 4’ bar. Turned out it’s a 31” bar.

53EB5387-3418-4511-8975-CACB4079C0C3.jpeg FA3C49BA-4F8A-4A40-B9E0-FF8E10E317C8.jpeg B984A153-435F-45A8-9226-76449CAAF588.jpeg 10A2836F-B441-46D8-9D49-5B9D75B4D65D.jpeg 202319CB-90E1-4F5D-9808-4B3DA7C0A1F5.jpeg 7533F9BD-61A9-4953-BA00-5F623F2BF6AF.jpeg BD074FDF-FF0D-4E3E-BFA1-EADE38593E20.jpeg 9D4A708F-F081-45F2-87B7-938E5308C5F2.jpeg AECD5BEE-8FDD-44DE-85B0-9BD293F8C283.jpeg Some of my new to me stuff
Low hour 3.0 craftsman (3400)
Barely used 3.3 sears best. Chrome bore
Junkyard find partner chopsaw. These scrappers will toss anything for weight. So far as I could find nothing wrong with it. Runs excellent.
The 2800 is for my wife’s cousin I need to go thru it.
The 3.7 is clean. Missing the a/c cov in er so I put a spare 4000 one on. Haven’t started on it yet know it has good compression.
The 3450 (type 3 has 60cc gilladroni top end) is going to work have some trees to cut

Attachments

• 248907FC-084B-4F81-96F3-CB1358F455B3.jpeg
    248907FC-084B-4F81-96F3-CB1358F455B3.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 8
RITE-WAY Timber Hog Bantam model 4.

I got this saw about a year ago, It came locked up and broken handle clamp,
Bent handles rusted away in one place. No recoil starter.
I searched for a parts saw and found one for sale a few weeks ago.
There was some corrosion to deal with. The parts saw was stuck but got it
freed up. The piston and cylinder are in good shape, just needed cleaning up.
I had to use a flywheel and ignition from a old Lombard witch was the same.
I am waiting for some decals to be made,then it will be complete.

impressive looking saw

Here’s one I’ve been looking for since I started on this site years ago. Poulan Timber Master 3750. These were the last of the pro grade Poulans. The PP330 came out a little later and stuck around longer but those were were 55cc and....yellow and black not green. The 3750 were not marketed as pro saws. They were though same as the 3700, 4000, 245, 306, 5200 S25DA. The 3700 and 4000 did say “pro use only” though. Gilladroni Chrome bore, mag case, adjustable oil pump, good ergonomics and vibration isolators. Easy to work on fully adjustable carb and 14,500 rpm also big 3 shoe clutch. My 3450 type 3 (same saw) has the 2 shoe as did my PP380. I think the 3 shoe was only on the 3750 no guarantees. They are fast. Will clean it up and do a compression check this week. Not a lot of use. 3A5D39D9-6BE1-4B24-A05C-1AD80CA158A6.jpegF408B86F-1D00-4704-B5FC-ACD0ED4B69C5.jpeg8B1969A6-97CC-4DC6-9854-1234BEC8DD3E.jpegD513276D-071B-4CCC-8B4B-D5342535CEA8.jpeg0A7FB340-CF58-4C97-9362-8989C82DBAB6.jpeg

Hi guys,Does anyone know much about the Lombard saws?I've been thinking of getting a cheapie Comango to play around with.I saw a few on Feebay,but a little too pricey,or parts are missing,or has the white death.I'd go $40-$50 + shipping
Ed

Hi guys,Does anyone know much about the Lombard saws?I've been thinking of getting a cheapie Comango to play around with.I saw a few on Feebay,but a little too pricey,or parts are missing,or has the white death.I'd go $40-$50 + shipping
Ed

68cc of reed valve snort.

Known to have chronic oiler check valve failure. But, that’s an easy fix.

Like a Homie SXL on steroids. [emoji106]

There is/was a Lombard thread. [emoji848]

Ed
I have a Comango that I would let go for $75 plus the ride. It isnt very pretty but it runs great. I rebuilt the carb, replaced fuel lines and filter and put a 16" oregon power match bar and chain on it I had laying g around. It even has the original bar scabbard. I can get pics tomorrow if you want.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

It didn't look that bad in the video Kevin.I'd like to put a nice Homelite muffler on it to make it a bit quieter.The blue colored saws were the earlier ones from what I've read,later they were orange & white.Yeah,put up some pics if you want & we'll go from there.It's a little more than I was looking to spend,but you've already got it running
I have a Comango that I would let go for $75 plus the ride. It isnt very pretty but it runs great. I rebuilt the carb, replaced fuel lines and filter and put a 16" oregon power match bar and chain on it I had laying g around. It even has the original bar scabbard. I can get pics tomorrow if you want.

Yeah,post some pics.It sounded pretty good in the video.
Ed

It didn't look that bad in the video Kevin.I'd like to put a nice Homelite muffler on it to make it a bit quieter.The blue colored saws were the earlier ones from what I've read,later they were orange & white.Yeah,put up some pics if you want & we'll go from there.It's a little more than I was looking to spend,but you've already got it running

Yeah,post some pics.It sounded pretty good in the video.
Ed
I sent you a PM with some pics.

Update on the Comango.A Homelite muffler bolted right on,now it sounds real good & doesn't make my ears bleed.I put a 20 in.bar & chain on it & I can't believe how that saw cuts.The only issue I have with it is the oiler doesn't work properly.I took the plunger out & found the spring was broken & stacked 1/2 inside the other half.I picked up an AP42,which I was told was pretty much the same saw,& I took the plunger assembly out of it & put it in the Comango,but it wouldn't work.Maybe there was a difference in the length of the springs?
Ed

Latest posts

Back