ArboristSite.com Sponsors
www.harvesterbars.com

Antique saw thread

edju1958

edju1958

Addicted to ArboristSite
Got out and made a quick video since it's a beautiful(yet very windy) day.
Having a little fresh fuel in the system overnight must have done something, because when I checked it out today the saw can now reliably start on a few pulls with the choke on, no need for priming.
It's still obviously in need of some love and care though. Usually need to hit the throttle every few seconds to keep it going, though there's times like in the video here where it will idle on its own for up to a few minutes before it eventually bogs down and needs another hit of throttle or it dies.
Also, this carburetor confuses me. Am I seeing two fuel and two oil lines going on here? I also had a minor incident when I turned that thumb screw on the left side of the case that says "<-- Open".
I thought this looked like it was to control the flow of bar oil, but the moment I started turning it while the saw was running it immediately got stuck WOT. I had to quickly hit the off switch to make it stop. Odd.
Anyway, here's the video. It's running a bit lean, right?
I think a rebuild kit in the carb & you'll have a good saw.

McCullochKid

McCullochKid

ArboristSite Lurker
Here's some more of the D49. I'm trying to figure out how to get this carb out so I can find some identifying marks on it. It's quite the puzzle.
I was hoping that the whole thing would pop up by unscrewing those two screws in the back, but it's pretty stuck on there. I'm worried about using too much force and damaging something, since as far as I've been able to determine parts for this are nonexistent.
d49_carburetor.jpg
Here's the back of the air cover.
d49_aircover.jpg
And finally a look at the piston/rings through the exhaust. What's that little pointy thing sticking out?
d49_exhaust.jpg
d49_rings.jpg

ML12

ArboristSite Guru
Here's some more of the D49. I'm trying to figure out how to get this carb out so I can find some identifying marks on it. It's quite the puzzle.
I was hoping that the whole thing would pop up by unscrewing those two screws in the back, but it's pretty stuck on there. I'm worried about using too much force and damaging something, since as far as I've been able to determine parts for this are nonexistent.
View attachment 861726
Here's the back of the air cover.
View attachment 861725
And finally a look at the piston/rings through the exhaust. What's that little pointy thing sticking out?
View attachment 861727
View attachment 861728
The carb is mounted on 2 studs, you can see the nuts in the photo on either side of the carburetor. You may need a set of off-set or "ignition wrenches" to get them undone. Yes it will be difficult, and you may need to remove the oil pump and perhaps some other things, but there seems to be decent access.

That carb looks like a "Tecumseh" diaphragm carburetor, if so, the kits are still available. I've never had one on a saw, but shouldn't be too hard to figure out.