Antique saw thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Perhaps, I assumed sharpening big chippers and scratchers might be a prerequisite for posting on an antique saw thread, silly me. I must admit I suck on square chisel or race chains in general, although that's not my bag. I have to talk to you about some of the old goats that used to hang here in my time. I hope they're all OK. BillG, Thall, ...., etc, etc.

Well, I'm still kinda hit and miss on some old chipper chains getting them to cut decent. I had some Mac 1/2" chain that I never could get to cut worth a tinkers Damn.. Finally had to put it on a grinder with a extreme side plate angle grind and ground the rakers really down as well.

I think I could have ground the rakers completely off and the Poulan Super 72 wouldn't have even noticed. :laugh:

As to the Scratcher chain, I have watched Chris do them and that's it, that stuff is just a pain. Glad I never had to deal with it.

I did just get some Allis Chalmers chainsaw service manuals this week and found they do have sharpening instructions for the bladesaw blades, found that interesting.

I came across a decent Tecumseh AH81. I am on the hunt for a coil and condenser. What are my chances of finding some parts for this?

1457205281746_IMG_20160305_131353_235_zpsxfxiirhe.jpg

I came across a decent Tecumseh AH81. I am on the hunt for a coil and condenser. What are my chances of finding some parts for this?

I think most of those motors used simple common ign parts on them, don't remember off hand what brand, but I want to say Wico. They show up all the time here and there.

MnSam
I have a few points and condensers for Tecumseh and Power Products saws made about that time, but have no list to know what they fit. Sometimes there are numbers on the condenser. I had a Tecumseh book at one time but it disappeared when I had a sale of some shop items. I do have Wico and Phelon books that might tell something. What are the numbers on the plate?
chainsawlady

MnSam
I have a few points and condensers for Tecumseh and Power Products saws made about that time, but have no list to know what they fit. Sometimes there are numbers on the condenser. I had a Tecumseh book at one time but it disappeared when I had a sale of some shop items. I do have Wico and Phelon books that might tell something. What are the numbers on the plate?
chainsawlady

Hello Joyce,
It's been a long time since we talked, I always had a great time doing so. Been through some rough times with sons, something you may be able to relate to. It sounds as if you're doing well, I certainly wish so. I wish to talk sometime soon. I've since lost your phone number. I have two left to get running before I give up, you may be able to help me with as you have with so many in the past. One is a beautiful 26LCS the other a 770GS. Let's find a way to contact one another once again.
Jay

IMG_20150918_110028.jpg can anyone tell me what saw this is. It sits on the side of an older fellows drive way hes been working on saws for 40 years but says he doesn't remember. I visit with him to pick his brain cause he's forgotten more about saws then I'll ever know.

There may be a chance that the toro snow pup snow blowers might have parts to retro fit into that saw. Tecumseh kept things simple for many years to keep cost down. Is the coil on the outside of the flywheel or under flywheel?

The coil/condenser is under the flywheel. I believe the coil and condenser are available. I have a coil in hand (hopefully the correct one) and think I have located the correct condenser. I just wish I had a picture to reference for installing these parts. Mine are gone and I have nothing to start from. The points block is loose as well so the indexing of that is surely off.

Here's a Hornet i just brought back from Ont.
It's probably my oldest saw now.Turns over and came with bar and chain.I had it hung up before i took any pic's.
It's missing it's ID tag
Thomas, while you were gone, I noticed at least 60 some odd saws in front of your garage that somebody had dropped off, so I brought them to my my place for safe keeping.

I've ended up with this Homelite 360. Has compression, the coil does not contact the plug well IIRC from playing with it years ago. Is it worth anything?

Attachments

• 182fabbc-8c0d-4899-9686-ab5a3cf0348a.jpg
    182fabbc-8c0d-4899-9686-ab5a3cf0348a.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 26
I've ended up with this Homelite 360. Has compression, the coil does not contact the plug well IIRC from playing with it years ago. Is it worth anything?

They will cut wood, not a highly sought after saw but when working properly wood can be cut with them. Common problem areas with them was the intake boot develops cracks early on and spark loss issues. Not a hard saw to work on but parts are getting harder to find for them.

I picked up this Sears, model 917.60051, gear drive, 1/2 inch chain, David Bradley made saw along with a red 3.7 craftsman last year. It came to me running poorly but had a carb kit included. After a quick cleaning, check out and carb rebuild it runs fairly decent. I used this direct drive version owned by my grandfather as a kid for cutting firewood for camp so when I saw it I had to have it. This saw is still as loud as I remember my grand paps saw was and ear plugs are mandatory these days. Pics and hopefully video attached.20151120_184337.jpg 20151120_184447.jpg 20151120_184459.jpg 20151122_151652.jpg

Back