Antique saw thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a Remington PL4 I got off CL and it has a Lombard Lighting clutch cover. Anyone know what other companys Remington made saws for? I think there is a John Deere model and a Montgomery Wards model.
Yup, Wards Power Kraft and John Deere. Several models for each one.

The Lombard clutch cover is a field expedient. Drill the stud holes to 3/8" I bet.

Yup, Wards Power Kraft and John Deere. Several models for each one.

The Lombard clutch cover is a field expedient. Drill the stud holes to 3/8" I bet.

That's interesting, I wasn't really sure what I had for a saw at first. I paid ten dollars because the guy said it didnt run and the paint was gone and b/c rusted. I fixed the pull rope and gave it a tug and it fired right up! My next question is on the inside of the air filter cover it says to mix kerosene and motor oil for the bar and chain. Can I just use my jug of stihl lube?

Use 30 weight bar oil from Walley World in the summer. Mix same 5-6 parts oil to one part kerosene in the winter.
Open the flow adjustment at the bar mount 1 1/2 - 2 turns.
When done running the saw, crack open the oil fill cap to relieve the tank pressure.
If left alone the pressure in the tank will fill the crankcase with bar oil and the engine will hydro lock.

I'd be very surprised, if the duckbill in the automatic oiler is still intact. Most every one has turned to tar by now. And, the engine will suck bar oil and smoke lots.

Hello. I'm working on a antique, but not a chainsaw. A Solo 40123 mist blower. The cylinder has cast iron liner, and the piston has some wear [0,10-0,12mm]. The clearance between piston and cylinder seems bigger compared to other 2 stroke[chainsaws] i'v worked . Is this normal? Thank you.

So the cylinder should be 48 mm.A new piston 47.95-.97. My piston is 47,92 above the pin and 47,79 at the bottom. Thanks.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 53
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    957.7 KB · Views: 48
From what I've observed, Most PL-4s are manual oiler.
Post a picture of the flywheel side without the recoil starter. Should be able to see if it is the auto oiler model.
Here ya go.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 37
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    901 KB · Views: 32
Ok in the pile of saws I got to fix a poulan 50cc I got a mcculloch eager beaver and it has great compression and it had some fuel so decided since I can't wrench cause wife is sick I stepped out for a smoke and gave the McCulloch a few pulls it pops, a few more pulls started coming to life, a couple more pulls and it ran ok. Pig rich plenty of smoke and not much rpm. I think I will clean it up clean exhaust port and screen fuel line and se how it is after that one heavy saw

I have a vivid memory of my grandfather cutting wood one day when I was really young with his XL12. The only blue saw he had. The super ez and super 2 are red. I can remember putting my fingers in my ears because it was so loud and watching smoke fill the forest and seeing sunlight coming through the leaves and hitting the smoke. My question is since I use fully synthetic in my saws I dont get any smoke. I want to at least for one tankful run his Xl12 and have it smoking like a chimney. Any suggestions on oil and mix ratio that will make it smoke like back in the day?

20160301_153834.jpg 20160301_153816.jpg 20160301_153824.jpg 20160301_153859.jpg

Can anybody identify this saw? I picked it up at an estate sale and can't find any markings. Thanks.

Back