Antique saw thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No. The link between the throttle trigger and valve opens the valve at WOT. Without it you get no oil to the bar mount.
Good news - I found the missing linkage.Now I need to know which way it goes on the carb & oiler linkage.Will I have to pull the carb to reinstall it,or can I just unscrew the linkage doo-dad & hook the rod in that way?thumbnail.jpg
The linkage is just resting on the oiler linkage doo-dad.

Hi, All,
I'm looking for some help identifying this Montgomery Wards I picked up recently. There is no model number that I can find. The sticker on the sprocket cover says "Heavy Duty Montgomery Ward 2.8 cu. In." and on the on the pull cord cover it says "lightweight". There is no model number that I can find. I looked at acresinternet but I couldn't find much info or many pictures of small wards saws. Its got a HS-107B Tillotson carb. that needs a ket job . . . Manual thumb oiler . . . 3/8 x 7 tooth drive sprocket . . . dunno what else to tell ya. Any thoughts anyone?0418201754.jpg0418201754a.jpg0418201754b.jpg0418201756.jpg0418201803.jpg

Thanks, Ed! Yea just looked that up and found a picture of an SL9 thats just like it, just a different color. Perfect!
--Marcel

OK gang,I've got 2 Lombard saws,an AP-42 & a Comango.The AP-42 has broken cylinder by the muffler bosses & a broken off screw in another boss.The Comango cylinder is fine,but the crank is a bit messed up where the Woodruff key goes.I put a new key in it back in the spring,but it didn't last long & sheared off again.Last time I was able to get the key out,but this time I had to enlist the services of my son's buddy who had a special pick tool set & he was able to get the sheared key out.
I'm thinking if the cylinders are interchangeable to swap them.I'll put the Comango cylinder onto the AP-42Of course I'll end up making all new gaskets.

OK gang,I've taken the muffler off the Lombard Super Comango & disconnected the oil line.I pulled the elbow off & inserted a drywall screw.For the life of me I can't budge that brass sleeve.I've tried putting a vise grip on the screw & another vise grip on the elbow & then taken a hammer to hit the vise grip to try to get the brass sleeve to move.The only thing that happens is the vise grip falls off.When I put the screw in it felt like I was tapping into hard rubber.I'm finding that the only thing Super about this saw is that it's a Super PITA!

I finally got that damned brass sleeve out of the elbow.I put the end with the screw in a vise & put a vise grip on the elbow & hit the vise grip twice & it finally came out.The next thing was to get the screw out of the brass sleeve.Again 2 vise grips.I don't know if the brass sleeve is supposed to come apart,but it did for me,maybe I broke it,I dunno.I put it back together & the manual oiler is working.I need to reattach the linkage & fire up the saw to see if the duck bill is in the right way.I'm assuming it is since the manual oiler works..

You'll have to go to the Beg For Manuals thread here.Ray Benson & his crew can probably help you out with an IPL.Sorry,when you posted over on the other forum I thought you were talking about a lawn tractor.

You'll have to go to the Beg For Manuals thread here.Ray Benson & his crew can probably help you out with an IPL.Sorry,when you posted over on the other forum I thought you were talking about a lawn tractor.
I’ll put up a request on that thread. Thanks Ed.
I have nothing on Bolens chainsaws, a hole in the saw manuals folder.

echo 702vl

i recently bought this saw for 100 bucks but the only probably is that it needs a carb rebuild. i can’t find any kits anywhere if you can point in the right direction that would be great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

echo 702vl

i recently bought this saw for 100 bucks but the only probably is that it needs a carb rebuild. i can’t find any kits anywhere if you can point in the right direction that would be great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ipl shows the 702vl using a Tillotson HS-166a carb. That carb uses a RK-23HS kit. Seen the kits on amazon, ebay - should be easy to find that kit.

Looking for some information on a Bolens CS3700. Are there any parts list around?
Nice saw. I have a little brother direct drive version of that saw. Your basic Power Products / Fairbanks Morris saw of the era with the AH47 engine. Bolens specific parts will be difficult to track down. The Power Products and F/M parts should be a bit easier to source depending on exactly what may be needed.

0704181747a_resized.jpg

Nice saw. I have a little brother direct drive version of that saw. Your basic Power Products / Fairbanks Morris saw of the era with the AH47 engine. Bolens specific parts will be difficult to track down. The Power Products and F/M parts should be a bit easier to source depending on exactly what may be needed.

It was well cared for from what I can tell. The ignition still works. I was able to get it to fire off of a prime. The carburetor is in need of a rebuild for sure, but hopefully that’s it. I’m sure there will be some surprises.

I’ve never owned a gear drive or worked on a saw this old before. I’ve tinkered mostly with Homelite and Pioneer from the 70’s. I’ve got some learning to do...

I just stared at it for a couple days trying to just figure out what and where everything was. Lol!

Root Lumberjack runs and cuts. [emoji106]

f5cb6a906ba2a9d8747f4ab5cb77ab39.jpg

Yes, that’s the air filter. [emoji15]

Latest posts

Back