Antique tractor thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also have this diesel, 57 Farmall 450, to repaint next. I've been doing the mechanical work the last 10 months. All the seals, TA and clutch, new rear rims, good replacement rear rubber. I had gone through the motor many moons ago with a rebuilt injection pump. Just this past month I got my hands on new injector nozzles and swapped those in as a set along with gaskets I was missing. What a difference. Idles smooth, no smoke. Paint soon--I'm still recovering from my last paint job. The gasser I redid had several coats of paint that fought me all the way. This diesel has almost no paint. Different kind of challenge.

20180610_094716.jpg
20180610_094738.jpg

I think I found a pic of my old JD 2010 with my Dad on it. I know the JD guys think of the 2010 as the ugly step child, but I loved mine. It was in the late 70's and I had just bought a Bliss wood splitter. It cost about $3500 back then. It had it's own pump and ran off the PTO. The recommended HP to run it was a mine of 40. I went to a local farm auction to look at a Ford 3000. When I got there the Ford had been repainted right over all the grease, new decals stuck over the old ones. An old guy came over and started talking. He asked if I knew tractors. I said I knew cars and trucks, so I knew basic mechanics. I was also young enough that I didn't realize that climbing all over some one else's stuff was all right at an auction. I told the old guy I didn't like the way they painted over all the crud, looked like the were trying to hide something. He went behind the tractor and picked up on one of the lift arms and gear oil gushed out of the bearings/seals. I said, well that doesn't look good. He laughed and walked over to the 2010, and proceeded to start it, poke, prod and point out every little thing on the tractor. So, I passed on the Ford and bid the 2010 up to $2750. The auctioneer looked over at the old guy and said, hey Fred, you have a $3000 reserve on it, what do you want to do? He smiled and said, the kid needs it more than me, let him have it. As soon as I dig the pic up I'll get my son to scan it in.

Thanks Al. Yes a Cuda, and a special one. They started putting big blocks in them in late 67. Mine is a 68 Formula S convertible with 383 4 speed. They only made 64 of them, 20 auto's and 44, 4 speeds. In late 69 they started putting 440's in them, but only with autos. I was told that after the first batch of convertibles came out, the body couldn't take the torque of not have a roof, so in 69 no big blocks went in convertibles. I have a numbers book and it does not list any big block convertibles made in 67 either, but I saw an article of a 67 rag top restored, with all matching numbers, so I guess at least one was made. Officially it was a one year only option. This a pic after I drove it home. It's been taken apart, media blasted and is in PPG primer sealer. The engine and trans are done. Still looking for a body man I trust to do the sheet metal work. If I'm lucky I'll get it finished before I croak.
H6FIR32.jpg

I'll get pics of the 2010 up soon.

I picked up a ‘52 farmall cub. The son restored it mechanically for his dad he rebuilt the engine. It did cultivating for the corn till it grew too high.
Then I had an interest in IH cub cadets and IH 154 mowers and estate tractors. My first int154 had a rebuilt engine before the po passed away.

Note, I feel jinxed with both IH tractors with rebuilt engines were there po passed away.......three of my cub cadets have replacement engines. The cub cadet is a little workhorse garden tractor with the same transmission as the cubs. It’s nice riding while tilling the large garden. Mowing my two acres of grass on the int154 feels so comfortable it’s like riding a couch.

The farmer in the family used all IH equipment from tractors to trucks. It’s in my blood type IH.

I picked up a ‘52 farmall cub. The son restored it mechanically for his dad he rebuilt the engine. It did cultivating for the corn till it grew too high.
Then I had an interest in IH cub cadets and IH 154 mowers and estate tractors. My first int154 had a rebuilt engine before the po passed away.

Note, I feel jinxed with both IH tractors with rebuilt engines were there po passed away.......three of my cub cadets have replacement engines. The cub cadet is a little workhorse garden tractor with the same transmission as the cubs. It’s nice riding while tilling the large garden. Mowing my two acres of grass on the int154 feels so comfortable it’s like riding a couch.

The farmer in the family used all IH equipment from tractors to trucks. It’s in my blood type IH.
Dang, now I'm going to have to find a pic of my 55 International R120. It was a 1 ton with an 8 ' stake body and single rear wheels. Had 7.50X16 split rims. I loved the old split rims, you just had to be careful beading them up. I've seen a lot of R series pickups, and a few bigger R's, but I've never seen another R120 stake body. If I did I'd buy it.

My cousin who had the farm had a IH truck with dual rear wheels, 4x4 it looked like a one ton, he boxed the frame. He had a farmall H tractor with a front and rear snowplows. He backed up to the garage drop both plows and plow one shot. He would plow after a blizzard for over 24 hours.

Any one have any parts laying around for this old girl ? 1949 farmall cub , missing the carb, starter , battery box, starter on/off switch, back light, let me know would love to get this thing running soon, also its a 6 volt + ground

Attachments

• 1210190847d.jpg
    1210190847d.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 14
Got this plain 656 gas over the summer. Nothing fancy and no 3 point. It came to me with a Schwartz wide front that turned out to be quite worn. The seller included the original narrow front so I reinstalled that. I like the look. The steering is so much nicer with this series than old orbit motors of the 450s. I still want to change the trans oil and put in fresh Hytran. Rears are a bit oversized at 16.9x38 but they don't look out of place.

IMG_20191214_28698.jpg
IMG_20191214_34198.jpg

Also got this 450LP tractor to complete my 450 set. Definitely needs serious engine work and a new clutch--transmission and TA work OK. Has a knock, poor oil pressure, and readily overheats. Once I found the correct LP setup, the tractor starts right up. Kind of weird driving this and peering past the fat LP tank. Fun fact, my local LP supplier will and has filled the fuel tank directly.

20190616_123611.jpg
20190616_123619.jpg
450LP_11.jpg

I'm a cub cadet guy this is a 1961 original made the first month of production it was my first restoration project the little guy is my grandson I think he is going to be an old cub guy too

Attachments

• 0803191821.jpg
    0803191821.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 18
When the snow gets deep, wet and heavy I bring this guy out. The best $400 I ever spent.

Attachments

• 92756D34-BEBA-4C4D-9C5E-C4604A0E3ACE.jpeg
    92756D34-BEBA-4C4D-9C5E-C4604A0E3ACE.jpeg
    638 KB · Views: 19
Back