Ants in black cherry

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keegantimber

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
On top of all the dead ash I have...I have ants in mature black cherry trees bringing out sawdust. Is it a worthwhile venture to try to kill off the ants or is it a lost cause? I understand ants are attracted to wet wood but maybe I can get a few more years with these trees seeing as Im busy with the dead ash ?

Yep. Im familiar with boric acid and sugar solution. Works good. Tree trunks are about 12 inches in diameter. Will give it a try

On top of all the dead ash I have...I have ants in mature black cherry trees bringing out sawdust. Is it a worthwhile venture to try to kill off the ants or is it a lost cause? I understand ants are attracted to wet wood but maybe I can get a few more years with these trees seeing as Im busy with the dead ash ?
The ants are not causing structural damage to your trees. They are in your trees mining out already decayed wood for their galleries. Fungal decay is what causes trees to weaken, not the ants. Cherries are not particularly resistant to decay and will generally have pockets of decay in them. Whether the trees are a hazard or not depends on target (what they will hit if they fail) and on where and how extensive the decay is.

Back