Ants in Lumber

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sourwould

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I've had some lumber stickered in my back yard. Pulled it out yesterday to prepare for a project and I've got a couple thousand little problems: ants.

Other than a kiln, what would be a good metod of chasing out these ants? I've put these boards out in the sun, hoping that would help, but I want to get to any ants that might be hiding inside the wood since these are going in my house.

The lumber is thin, 1" rough sawn, if that matters.

Thanks!

Try a bunch of diatomaceous earth under, around, and on. Combined with some terro bait to try to mitigate the source. Remove any compromised wood(if any) that they might be after. Put that stuff in unprotected pile to attract them then kill with fire.

I'm allergic to diatomaceous earth.

I don't know if they're carpenter ants. I'll have to get some pictures. They were nesting between the faces of two boards.

These are very small and black. This wood was air dried a year before it made it's way to me. I think these ant migrated from the firewood stack on the other side of the yard.

7B0327AB-B923-43DD-8BEB-1E1FF3168775.jpeg 0C93A239-DADD-428F-9098-4F8102AB9272.jpeg Sure 808fish I’m still prototyping the log dog function out
three different concepts in mind... the drivers to center the pith
can be pined & driven in either direction.... time wise I screwed a 15” piece of trex decking to the underneath of a 6x6 notched to cradle the log... shoot me a PM rather than trying to cover chapter & verse something that might not be of interest.
Not the best at typing anyway & used a half inch hand drill
Instead of digging the radial drill out of the sea container & knowing better drilling through the tapered flange on the channel
paying the price w/ a broken thumb hurrying with so much going on.

I
Would you feel at ease burning some of your treated wood scraps in your woodstove? I have Bifen & Permethrin... so it's a serious question.

I really wish I knew that one. I feel confident with my dogs chewing on wood treated with it and my skin contact. Inhaling burning fumes is different. You could contact one of the manufacturers. They’d have better input. I know it’s pretty mammal safe, but have no experience with burning.

Do you know a way to kill mice with out poisoning pets?

Put peanut butter on the bottle and a board as walkway so they can get to it. I put these in the cellar and barn each fall and have cleaned out 40-50 mice before they tried to move in for the winter. Make sure you check it regularly and dump it before they start to ferment.

Use something bigger like a garbage can for squirrels.
mousetrap.jpg

Back