Ants infesting maple

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JSanders10

Reaction score
Hi all. I have a a southern yellow maple in the yard on my farm, it not an old tree, maybe 15-20 years old. Last year it received a severe pruning of lower branches as well as a secondary trunk. Yesterday I noticed the lower truck bark was miscolored, dry and flaking bark with a great number of small ants coming and going through several holes. I pulled the mulch away from the trunk and found more ants. I don't think these are Carpenter ants, they seem smaller. The tree is alive and beginning to bud out albeit somewhat later than others nearby. How can I treat this infestation, and hopefully save this maple?

Sounds like an ant mound rather than carpenter ants or termites. Find the nest and apply insecticides labeled for ant control if absolutely necessary. However, have the tree checked for a scale insect infestation as the ants may be there to collect honeydew.

Check your tree for aphids. The ants are probably farming the aphids for the honeydew. The ants themselves aren't harming your tree. Control the aphids, safers soap is what we usually use (mainly due to pesticide regulations) and your ants will move off.

Your drying bark may be caused by sunscald after the prune. Mulch your tree and don't let it get drought stressed.

Post some pics of the pruning

Latest posts

Back