Ants

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cinders said:
I started spotting Carpenter Ants over 2 years ago inside the house, coming out my molding. Called ORKIN and hired on for treatment in 2005. They have powdered the walls multiple times, sprayed the area, checked my attic and crawl space, jelled the windows and find NO moisture. After $1400.00, I am residing and reconstructing my house. Ants still persist. I complain to Orkin they are baffled. Opened one wall yesterday and found over 600 ants alive amongst all their treatment. They argue it's the application and their product WORKS everywhere else. I ask, How many tear their walls apart to be sure the product works. How do you know what's going on in the walls? Bought a can of ORTHO and it killed on contact. Going to set off 12 bombs throughout my house now and ORKIN is to refund my money. There is a formula using Boric Acid also. By the way, no wood piles, no Maple trees in my area and I keep my yard clean and clipped.

Are they (Orkin) using Termidor? If not try it. It works great on ants and termites. Check it out on line. It is one of the most effective poisons made.

Have you tried any of the granular bait? I assume you have, but if not, it works fairly well. Also the reason the ants find refuge in your house is there's:
1. a way in...find it, seal it up.
2. soft, moist, dry-rotting wood that makes for easy nesting; get rid of the moisture!
the ants cannot digest the wood, so they don't really eat it...they only burrow into it. if you look close, you'll see little brown pellet like things, that's the chewed up wood...also there's usually other ant parts that get chewed up in the mix.
rather than treating to kill the visible ants, try finding the source.

I had ants in my wall - I could hear them chewing the wood while I was sitting down eating my dinner.

I went to HD and bought 15 syringes of Combat gel with Fipronil, drilled holes in the sheet rock, injected the stuff in, filled them up again, and they were dead and gone for ever in just a few days.

Fipronil is what Terminix uses. Its taken back to the nest and kills the queen and all the other ants.

Dean

Back