Any 80s Toyota 4X4 Truck/Runner fans ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m a Cruiser guy. This is my 3rd. Had to move up to a newer model a while back to please the wife. It hit 250K on the way out this morning. I’d love an early 80’s mini truck as a toy if I could find the right one.

View attachment 757025

That's nice man real nice the 80 series is right up there with the best 4x4s ever made ever old but modern thrown together.

If you really want to jump into the rc truck world Google SSD trail king and if your heart is set on older body's it's eather 'hilux 'GQ patrol 'Defender or 40 series cruiser. Also k5 blazer umm bronco and a few different jeeps. There is some stunning 80 series body's now and could create a very cool replica of what your driving now. It's not cheap there not toys as such lol.

Mine is a very out dated chassis from effectively 2008 (axial scx10) and yeah it's live axle and drives very well its just not as realistic as what's around now days. That's an rc4wd body. Google rc4wd trail finder 2 and you will see what I mean it's leaf sprung the axles look amazing needs a few upgrades to get it properly thrashable. The SSD the vaterra ascender the scx10.2 are very good trucks for not huge money

If you really want to jump into the rc truck world Google SSD trail king and if your heart is set on older body's it's eather 'hilux 'GQ patrol 'Defender or 40 series cruiser. Also k5 blazer umm bronco and a few different jeeps. There is some stunning 80 series body's now and could create a very cool replica of what your driving now. It's not cheap there not toys as such lol.

My boy and I have a pair of Axial crawlers. (bomber and wraith) I don't have any real interest in building a scaler at this time. Although I do have a cheap 80 series body in a box if I ever get the itch. I'm just afraid I wouldn't want to use it if I ever did. We beat the current RC's pretty hard currently.

My boy and I have a pair of Axial crawlers. (bomber and wraith) I don't have any real interest in building a scaler at this time. Although I do have a cheap 80 series body in a box if I ever get the itch. I'm just afraid I wouldn't want to use it if I ever did. We beat the current RC's pretty hard currently.

Aww nice yes it certainly is an adjustment to stop thrashing them and take it slowly. The axial scale trucks do take a hiding though that's why I went with them. The rc4wd stuff is a bit more delicate even though there 95 percent metal

That's nice man real nice the 80 series is right up there with the best 4x4s ever made ever old but modern thrown together.

Mine is a very out dated chassis from effectively 2008 (axial scx10) and yeah it's live axle and drives very well its just not as realistic as what's around now days. That's an rc4wd body. Google rc4wd trail finder 2 and you will see what I mean it's leaf sprung the axles look amazing needs a few upgrades to get it properly thrashable. The SSD the vaterra ascender the scx10.2 are very good trucks for not huge money

Great to see those rigs in actions! My uncle got '84 4Runner and a TRX we use for trail fun. We'll visiting them next weekend for a family gathering. I will give him a hand on installing the new brake kit and motorcycle exhaust on his new CR250 R dirt bike project for his eldest son. We might have at least 2 days to take the 4Runner and the bikes for trail run.

A5768629-F4A7-44E6-BCB4-0F75D84689FF.jpeg
I’ve had a couple Toyotas over the years. Had a 94 tacoma afew years ago that was mint, 31” tires on 10” rims so it had a nice stance and git around great off road.

In May we picked the wifey up a 2019 4runner TRD off road premium. The first week of ownership I installed a 3” old man Emu full suspension lift and 33” BFG AT tires. And custom 20” wheels. It’s one bad ride with the factory locker snd crawl control. Was probably a bad idea because now guys have a good good excuse to come up talking to her. She’s already smoking hot and with a lifted Toyota, it’s a double whammy for guys flirtin.

The day we bought hers
684EE3A4-A5D8-4A87-A415-0E3C2E7E2DA6.jpeg
01EDB454-739B-433E-B756-841EE31CA212.jpeg
Mine out in the dunes. We don’t get stuck
ACD4015B-95B4-46EC-98FF-55D2A4A76731.jpeg
31E37494-DD05-4E31-8398-C8087ACFFCF0.jpeg
Big fan of the 80s Toyota trucks. To this day the gold standard is Marty Mcflys ‘85 SR5 in Back to the Future. First truck was a ‘95 T-100 DX king cab 4x4. Was only 2 years old when I was driving it in highschool. Dad had gotten a company truck so I paid the insurance and drove that. In ‘06 I bought a new TRD Tacoma O/R. 2” lift and some other goodies over the years. Then we had a 3rd kid...Good excuse to get the truck I always wAnted a 4Runner. Bought a ‘14 SR5. 2” lift, 275/70 BFG A/T. Blast in the dunes, it just crawls. Wife liked driving it so much we now have 2. And lately she’s hinting about a small lift and bigger tires. Something about these small chicks wanting the lifted trucks....

We have a ‘98 T-100 4WD with the 3.4 V6 and a bunch of miles on it that serves as our farm truck for hauling hay, pulling a 2-horse trailer or flatbed trailer for moving the tractor once in awhile. You have to stay sharp to get loads like that rolling uphill without smoking the clutch, but it will do it. The engine looks like something that belongs in a Ferrari, but it’s pretty much a detuned, low-hp wide torque curve kind of deal. You just have to remind yourself that at one time, there were stake trucks and school buses with inline sixes in them, and they made it work somehow...

I’m not much of a Toyota guy but my brother is. This is a 82 4x4 frame with a mid 70s 2wd cab on it. It’s powered by the 7MGTE engine out of an 89 Supra turbo. Axles have 5.29 gears with Detroit lockers f/r. And Bobby Long chromoly shafts in the front.
5 speed with Dual transfer cases. 42 inch Iroks on bead lock rims. 4 Link/coil over rear. OME springs up front. Full hydro steering Warn 8274 up front.

It’s 3.00” pipe from the turbo back and he’s done a bunch of engine and turbo work to it. Head studs and metal gasket, bigger injectors etc. had the stock turbo gone thru by this place in Texas. The sucker flat rips! plus it’s a lot lighter than the most of the jeeps we run with.
CA03E0E9-654D-440E-B01F-3FA1CCAF4683.jpeg

I’m not much of a Toyota guy but my brother is. This is a 82 4x4 frame with a mid 70s 2wd cab on it. It’s powered by the 7MGTE engine out of an 89 Supra turbo. Axles have 5.29 gears with Detroit lockers f/r. And Bobby Long chromoly shafts in the front.
5 speed with Dual transfer cases. 42 inch Iroks on bead lock rims. 4 Link/coil over rear. OME springs up front. Full hydro steering Warn 8274 up front.

It’s 3.00” pipe from the turbo back and he’s done a bunch of engine and turbo work to it. Head studs and metal gasket, bigger injectors etc. had the stock turbo gone thru by this place in Texas. The sucker flat rips! plus it’s a lot lighter than the most of the jeeps we run with. View attachment 828621
I would really enjoy a video clip of that thing in action. I’ll bet it makes a pretty cool sound when in action, and I’ll bet it can throw some big fat four-wheel snow roosts when you stand on it.

Do you by chance have any under-hood pics?

I would really enjoy a video clip of that thing in action. I’ll bet it makes a pretty cool sound when in action, and I’ll bet it can throw some big fat four-wheel snow roosts when you stand on it.

Do you by chance have any under-hood pics?
Sorry I missed your post. I’ll look thru the pics and videos I have. Not sure if I have a under hood pic

I had 3 80's Toyotas. The last one, an 89, was my favorite. I straight axled it and rebuilt the 22re from the ground up. Put a ton of hard miles on it. 2 small kids back to back ended those days....

I inherited this ol girl. Been in the family since the early 90's. Kids are now almost grown, one of my projects once I have some disposable income again will be a frame off resto. Nothing fancy, just get rid of the rust and make it safe to be on the road again.

IMG_20180422_165937239_HDR.jpg
IMG_20170826_125021621.jpg

I used to have a straight-axled 91 ex cab Toyota. It had the crappy V6, 5speed, 5.29 gears, etc. The front was an 85 axle, back was an E-locker Taco axle. Wagoneer springs in the front, Chevies in the back. It was fun, but I never really caught the crawling bug, I'd rather be out riding my dirtbikes.

Nowadays, my only Toyota product is my DD...'18 Tacoma 4wd TRD-OR double cab with the lame little 5' bed. I really wanted an extra cab with the 6' bed, but this one has a 6 speed manual, which was my #1 priority. It's sooo much better in the snow than my big long-bed diesel Dodge.

20211227_103142.jpg.42fdbdc689b38b0f0b9fc0f1c4660f30.jpg

Latest posts

Back