Any baby boomers still heat with wood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Born in 62, heat 100% with wood. OWB and a Hotblast in the basement as well as an old Fawcett in the shop for backup. We do have electric baseboards but haven't used them in years. Last year was the first in a long time to shut down the OWB for the summer. Used electric water heater then.

My parents were born in 57. They have had the fire place since 82 and still use it. I helped them take down trees this summer. Last year I cut and split the wood so they could use it. I cant convince them that an insert would be a better source of heat. My FIL died at 72 still loading the indoor wood boiler every day.

Born in 61 and have yet to go a year without burning wood.
Couple of wood stoves, hot blast and now with an OWB.

What's up with all the wood threads ? Lol

I ask myself the same thing. I made one thread and now theres like 5 lol turns out everybody on the arborist site likes burning wood..

I work 2 full time jobs, around 120hrs a week, house is heated with wood.
I worked 6-14 hour days a week and even many Sundays and still came home and built my house by myself while putting in 70/80 hours a week at my regular job. Paid cash as I went and my house, and land is paid off.

Born in 47 you bet i still use wood for heat 100%. Started out by me laying behind my grand dad's big stove when i was a kid, lol. Then when my folks got their own house i was introduced to a wood pile. Dad would have a truck load of ''lilly pads'' or trimmed butts delivered and it was my job to help him split them, and get em stacked. Prior to that, i always helped dad get the wood to the house as a kid. Nothing i enjoy anymore than getting up early in the morning in the winter and getting that first fire started in the morning. Its nice and cool in the house, i normally lay the wood out the night before, and start out fresh in the morning. By the time the wife gets up its nice and warm in the house. She's up about an hour after me. I'm a light sleeper, so, getting up 2-4 times a night is nothing unusual for me. I really enjoy getting my wood, in, as well, i've got several saws, lots of axes, wedges, and a splitter to boot. In the fall or early spring i get my winters wood in, so i'm ready for the cold, wet days the PNW has . I'm really blessed to be very healthy, and able, and have the desire to continue to get my own wood. Really enjoy splitting it, stacking it, and using it. The satisfaction of looking out the window at a big stack of split wood, covered and dry. Plus, my wood shed packed full of great wood, very seasoned is extremely satisfying for me. Especially if we have a cold , snowy winter

58 model here, about 90% wood heat. Gas furnace hasn't worked for about 15 years . Cats are my supplemental heat supply and frequently partner with me on wood cutting outings.

Attachments

• 20191126_113107.jpg
    20191126_113107.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 36
  • 20190111_053111.jpg
    20190111_053111.jpg
    792.9 KB · Views: 39
  • 20190214_170139.jpg
    20190214_170139.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 39
zzzzzZZZZ - huh? waking up from nap (it's what boomers do)!
Boomer? YES! heat with wood? YES! 24/7

From my cold dead hands will you have to take my axes, saws, Pacific Energy Summit, log splitter and pickup truck away.

Burning wood is not out of necessity, it's for the love of being in nature, being self sufficient, getting exercise in the fresh outdoors, fighting father time.

Full disclosure, I have natural gas heat piped into slab and throughout home for insurance purposes and backup comfort, but it seldom if ever kicks in.

Sometimes I get calls from woman asking for firewood and some of the questions I get and how they are asked sometimes makes my day.
Caller" Do you have HARD wood? I'll say yes mam my wife said it's the hardest wood she has ever seen.
Caller: Does it burn hot? I'll say yes mam my wood burns hotter and longer then anyone else in town.
Caller: how big is your wood? I'll say, do you like big wood or little wood? I can make my wood any size you desire. Gets pretty racy sometimes and many get a good chuckle out of it.

scb M +T 2 copy.jpg I just got done hauling in another pickup load of dry ash from my woodlot before the snowstorm we're getting. Inside wood rack is full now. It's mortise and tenon made out of ash I milled. It holds about 1/2 cord of 24" lengths.

wood rack.jpg

Stove is a Warner 124-B, takes 26" logs. It's in an existing traditional fireplace hearth modified with: an extension of 2" granite pad w/fireboard underneath, insulated 316 stainless flue insert/cap/T-fitting. Don't have a picture of that handy

The stove is a big old boiler plate beast, but contrary to what some say is good on wood consumption, and can be choked down without creosote buildup. I can get a burn to last a day/24 hrs if I fill it and close down the vent. I cleaned the flue yesterday and got about a quart of debris after over a year of heating. The stove also has a blower and I can get most of the house from ~ 50 0F to 80 oF in less than an hour.

My backup is oil and I've not filled the 275-gal tank in over 1 1/2 years even though that also provides my hot water.

Attachments

• scb Sh M+T copy.jpg
    scb Sh M+T copy.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 14
59 model. I haven't bought heating oil for 5 years in northern NH. I run a mix of a minisplit for shoulder seasons and days over 30F and older wood boiler with 500 gallons of storage. I dropped trees in the woods, cut them up and either split them in the woods or hauled the rounds home and hand split them for 30 years. I finally got a log splitter this year as my wood source shifted over from mostly maple, white birch and ash to mostly beech. That beech really doesn't like to be hand split. My new woodlot needs major thinning and timber stand improvement so if I don't burn it I will leave it on the ground to rot.

If I build another house its going to be super insulated with low temperature radiant hating and may consider a small ground source geothermal system but expect I will always have wood stove or boiler.

I saw a recent quote in article about getting folks to switch from cord wood to pellets. Not verbatim but the gist is "I have 100 acres of trees for the taking on my property but I don't have any pellet trees" I want to cut out the middleman as much as possible.

46 model and burn fire wood since I was knee high to a nat. Used to open the door of the old wood pot belly when I was young and couldn't sleep so I could read.

took out our old 30 plus year old add on furnace in 2015 and installed a New one a England 28 3500.

:D Al

Born in 47 and started burning wood in the early 80's. Only burning in an insert, upstairs, in a raised ranch. Cut my fuel oil usage by 75%
Working on getting 4 years ahead.

I guess I'm in middle between baby boomer and millennials . I definitely burn wood.

Born in 1957. OWB is my main source of heat with a Warm Morning cabinet stove for backup if we lose power and to take out dampness sometimes.Still have my oil furnace but it hasn't run in the last five years.
I spend a lot of time cutting and splitting but I need the physical workout.
Oh yeah,Most of my wood is split with an 8lb maul even though I own a 3pt mounted hydraulic splitter.

Yes. At one time I was heating 3 houses. Mine my moms and my rental home(daughter lives there) my mom now only burns a insert a couple times a week . My daughter bought herself a pellet stove. So its back to just one and a little for mom. But I'll burn till I cant lift a saw. Then I'll get a coal stove:popcorn2:

Latest posts

Back