ArboristSite.com Sponsors

1. Please see this post Click Here Please ask questions if you have them!! I hope this is going to be great for us all.
    Dismiss Notice

Any bee keepers in the house?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Helper Forum' started by JTM, Nov 5, 2018.

1. JTM

JTM ArboristSite Guru

Don’t know if this is the correct forum or not. I have an old Catawba tree that has had a hive for at least 10 years probably more. I don’t want to disturb the bees but the problem is that the tree needs to come down, it is rotting at its base. So when it comes down I need to relocate the bees so they don’t decide to relocate in my house which is the next closest structure. I want to do it this winter so they won’t be too wound up. Any thoughts, advice, or suggestions? Thanks.

2. diezelsmoke

diezelsmoke ArboristSite Operative

I would cut the tree down as far as you can and leave the section/trunk up, it would probably stand a few more years. I would also keep a couple boxes next to the tree with lemon grass oil inside the box to harvest extra colonies. These are the types of colonies that they suggest now harvesting as they have way better results in living.

3. JTM

JTM ArboristSite Guru

C7D2DC69-799C-490F-8D1A-0C63F0149D6F.jpeg
    This is the tree in the foreground. I don’t want to take off any more than I already have. The bees go in very near the top center leader. I’ll see if I can get some boxes. I would let it go on it’s own but it can hit the house.

4. diezelsmoke

diezelsmoke ArboristSite Operative

Cut off similar or a little higher as marked, that way the branches left may keep the tree living yet. If you can keep it living it will last a long time yet.
    Pix not very good but you get the idea.

Attached Files:

5. JTM

JTM ArboristSite Guru

10-4, I’ll give it a go. I’m very fortunate to have those bees. Don’t want to lose them.

6. Ted Jenkins

Ted Jenkins Firewood by TJ

When I was a kid my grandpa would move bees around all the time. Are you sure you have honey bees or? He would put a fresh box where he wanted the hive to be then he would stock it with plenty of food. Some times he would build a smoky fire then take hand fulls and put them into the new nest. Me I have been fighting yellow jackets for a couple of months. Have tried most every thing. Now am starting to have success with some old fashioned traps. Thanks

7. JTM

JTM ArboristSite Guru

Yes, they are honey bees.

farmer steve likes this.
  8. Little Al

Little Al Addicted to ArboristSite

If you don't tend them what happens with "queen " reproduction /swarming where do the new colonies go ?Smoking them will calm things if you're working on the tree

farmer steve likes this.
  9. farmer steve

farmer steve outstanding in my field, 5150

Here is a link to a bunch of information where you might someone in your area that can help. Click the swarm removal list on the left sidebar. looks like they are listed by county/location.
    https://www.alabamabeekeepers.com/

10. JTM

JTM ArboristSite Guru

I may know a little about bees. I used to haul bee hives between orange groves forty years ago. I want to keep them on my property. I have a beekeeper about a mile down the road. His position was to let’em alone. If I involve him then he’ll want the bees. I’ll probably trim up the tree a bit more.

farmer steve likes this.
  11. 2412

2412 ArboristSite Member

Don’t mess with them this time of year. Wait till spring.