Any cons with Mimosa Trees?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now I have had a mimosa but I have never seen one of these trees. I did look it up and it is one cool looking tree. Must not be able to survive here.

Wish I had listened to my neighbor, a nurseryman, 20 years ago when he said, "Don't do it!!"
I have one that is gorgeous, but they spread everywhere and you can't kill them.
Don't Do It!! :surprised3:

I have a 7 year old one in my side-yard. This year marks the 4th year it has flowered. I don't have any issues with it, but I live in town. I have a grass lawn that I mow regularly, and don't let any unwanted saplings of any species growing where I don't want them, get big enough to cause problems.
I could see an issue out in the country-side. I wouldn't want one there, not a chance.

I have a 7 year old one in my side-yard. This year marks the 4th year it has flowered. I don't have any issues with it, but I live in town. I have a grass lawn that I mow regularly, and don't let any unwanted saplings of any species growing where I don't want them, get big enough to cause problems.
I could see an issue out in the country-side. I wouldn't want one there, not a chance.
Definitely. That's my problem, some years I can't keep up with the trimming and weeding and before I know it - there's another mimosa! :surprised3:
It is a pretty tree if you keep a handle on it.
Here's mine - covered with a bazillion seeds!
DSC03345.JPGDSC03344.JPG

Is there any sterile or less seedy versions available?
Zone 6a/b here and dont see many seedlings from the mimosa here

Maybe its a different variety or the cold keeps them in check here
Good question! So I googled and found this:
https://www.ourtribune.com/life-2/d...he-gardener-should-i-plant-a-mimosa-tree.html"There are a number of varieties available and two of the best are: “Fan Silk Flame,” which has dark pink, nearly red flowers and “Summer Chocolate,” which has burgundy foliage, pale pink flowers and lower seed production. The latter variety has given rise to a recent introduction, “Merlot Majik,” which has burgundy foliage with deeper pink flowers. It is reportedly sterile and seedless, which would be fantastic. Let’s watch and see."

I was wanting to plant a couple Mimosa trees at home - one will replace a flowering crab apple that has seen better days after 45 years. Any cons with these?
Update - After reading below and some articles, I changed my mind.
to dirty of a tree should be cut up for firewood

Back