Any Finn's in here?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi again guys!

I sure am proud of my ancestry! I am half Finn, and Half Belgian. Dad's family was all Finnish, adn Mom's family was from Belgium. I am a halfbreed so to say! Haha!

I am sorry to say that neither the Finns or the Belgians did anything to promote their native language to the young people of my time. (I was born in 1956). The languages are slowly becoming extinct.

My Mother knew Belgian, as my Grandmother and Grandfather emmigrated from Belgium in 1910. But they spoke the language around me in order to keep me from knowing what they were talking about. I learned only a few words.

The Finnish side was even worse,,,,,,the old timers didn't think us kids worthy to know the language i guess. There were church services for the Finnish speaking, but kids were not encouraged to attend. I think they wanted to Americanize us.

Yes we ate the Finnish dishes,,,,Mojaka, Rieska, Ustua, Nissu, Makkara, etc, and we were taught about Finnish customs, but the Language was reserved solely for the older folks. Darn shame in my opinion.

My Dad is still around at 86,,,and I have asked him to teach me some more words and phrases, but he is reluctant for some reason. I know that kids who were raised in a Finnish speaking household in his years had a hard time learning English when they went to school, so that may be part of it.

Bob

My Grandpa told me that when he was a young kid, that his folks made them speak only in english, no finn, said that was the language of their countrty and they had better learn it well! They all learned finn as babies, but it was only after they made english their first language that they were allowed to speak it again.
They were tough, hardworking men who were leaders in their communities and would give you the shirt off their backs if they thought you needed it. Great Grandpa and Grandpa are both dead now,and Dad's getting older, sure miss seeing them altogther!
Oh, they were all honest as the day is long, and were real proud of the old country finns being the only country to pay it's war debt (after WW2)
eventhough the debt had been forgiven! says alot about their character;)
Jon

My Grandpa told me that when he was a young kid, that his folks made them speak only in english, no finn, said that was the language of their countrty and they had better learn it well! They all learned finn as babies, but it was only after they made english their first language that they were allowed to speak it again.
They were tough, hardworking men who were leaders in their communities and would give you the shirt off their backs if they thought you needed it. Great Grandpa and Grandpa are both dead now,and Dad's getting older, sure miss seeing them altogther!
Oh, they were all honest as the day is long, and were real proud of the old country finns being the only country to pay it's war debt (after WW2)
eventhough the debt had been forgiven! says alot about their character;)
Jon

I agree totally!

Hi guys!
bobt, do you happen to know anyone by name Leisola? That was my grandmother's name and she used to live somewhere near Lake Michigan. Unfortunately I can't remember anything else, it's been so long...

Hello Jussi in Stockholm, miten menee sveduissa? :greenchainsaw:

Hi guys!
bobt, do you happen to know anyone by name Leisola? That was my grandmother's name and she used to live somewhere near Lake Michigan. Unfortunately I can't remember anything else, it's been so long...

Hello Jussi in Stockholm, miten menee sveduissa? :greenchainsaw:

I am sorry, I don't know anyone by that name. I knew a family by the name of Lassila, but that is the closest I can come. Sorry I couldn't be more help to you.

Bob

Finn Town

Im not Finn but the town I live in, Thunder Bay has the second highest population of Finns outside Helsinki, we were founded by Finlanders, we have street signs in Finn and people have wood fired saunas or go to public saunas, the Finns moved here because it reminded them of Finland. There is a Scandinavian Home society. Many people speak Finn and fly the Finnish flag. They like to fish and log, Most of my friends are Finnish. There are Finn restaurants and cafes.

One thing that I've heard from someone else is that when you tell a Finn to do something it gets done, period. You come back to check up and it's done. I know this holds true throughout my family, thought it kinda neat.

I've hired and fired enough people to know that this is a rarity, and boy does it piss my off when people can't get stuff done.

Nels Wirtala

One thing that I've heard from someone else is that when you tell a Finn to do something it gets done, period. You come back to check up and it's done. I know this holds true throughout my family, thought it kinda neat.

I've hired and fired enough people to know that this is a rarity, and boy does it piss my off when people can't get stuff done.

Nels Wirtala

:agree2:

L-Enterprises.

What a coincidence, i live and work in Huddinge, Skogås to be more exact :)

How old are you and when did you move over there ?

I do speak finnish , but live in Estonia if that helps- hey, got a question for you - do you guys stay busy in Sweden during winter- we had a record -breaking snowfall this winter -thus - slow business

Tony:

I am not in the business yet so i cant really give you a good answer.

I am currently working as an gardener/puutarhuri and i was one of the snowplow drivers this winter :)
I got say that i havent seen so much snow in Stockholm for many years, if ever actually.
It was a nice winter with lots of fun snow driving and plowing, much overtime and much $$$$ and some things plown to pieces ;)

Best regards.

Hello folks. A newbie on site. I´m a native finn. I do "hobbylogging" mainly for firewood and helping out neighbors and local farmers with forestrywork. Did some googling about saws and it lead me to this site.

Hello folks. A newbie on site. I´m a native finn. I do "hobbylogging" mainly for firewood and helping out neighbors and local farmers with forestrywork. Did some googling about saws and it lead me to this site.

Sommoro, Juhana. Kouvostoliitosta?

Jos tykkää sahojen kanssa pelata, niin löytyy mielenkiintoista infoa.

Puiden kanssa teluamisesta löytyy todella syventävää tietoa Forestry & Logging voorumilta. Suosittelen ylipitkän Falling Pics - threadin läpikahlaamista.

Pasila, Porilaisten marssi, olkaa hyvä.

Sami T

My grandma's name was Koistinen. My dog's name is Toivo. I have Sauna in the backyard with a Harvia wood stove in it. That's sauna (SOW-nuh). IT IS NOT sauna (SAW-na).

Kiitos.

Pick, your dog's got same name as my 10-years old son. He absolutely adores dogs, so I think he's cool with that.

Sie oot sit Karjalan poikii?

Joensuussa asun ja työkseni vähän koitan metsuroida.

Latest posts

Back