Any Finn's in here?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My grandma's name was Koistinen. My dog's name is Toivo. I have Sauna in the backyard with a Harvia wood stove in it. That's sauna (SOW-nuh). IT IS NOT sauna (SAW-na).

Kiitos.

^ Kiitos sinulle! If you could translate Toivo it would mean Hope - although Toivo is a man´s name. Guess you knew that! Your grandma sure did some travelling, after job and better living, I guess? It was rather common at the time being (late 1800s - early 1900s) that Finns headed towards North America. I also have relatives in MN.

Samlock: Ootko yrittäjänä vai työsuhteessa? Teetkö pihapuita vai ihan metässä? Tarviiko metsuri enää metässä muuta sahaa kuin raivurin? Mielenkiinnosta vain kyselen, on käynyt metsäkouluun hakeminen itellä mielessä, tuntuu vain niin harvoin näkevän metsureita enää muualla kuin piha- /erikoispuiden kaadossa...Koneita näkee sitäkin enemmän metissä. Tuntuu metsälehdenkin palsta olevan supermetsureita pullollaan vaikka taitaa enemmän olla metsänomistajien höpinöitä niissä keskusteluissa.

Pick, your dog's got same name as my 10-years old son. He absolutely adores dogs, so I think he's cool with that.

Joensuussa asun ja työkseni vähän koitan metsuroida.

My dog absolutely loves kids. We should get the two together some time!

My only regret in life up to this point is that I never learned Finnish from my grandma. Her and her brothers and sisters used to speak it to each other. It would have been effortless to learn it when I was little. She told me once that when they were kids they were told that they could speak Finnish only at home. At school etc. they were only allowed to speak English. Her mother used to tell her "You are American now. You must speak only English when you are at school." It's a bit funny to look back at it now. When I was little I used to think that everyone's relatives in the U.S. probably spoke Finnish part of the time.

I have a friend here who is from Lapland. She has two kids who were both born in the U.S. The kids get their hind ends handed to them if mom catches them speaking English when they are in the house.

In the worst way I want to visit Finland. When I go I want to go for at least several months to really get a "feel" for it. I may never want to leave. The small farm my grandma is from is still there and, I believe, still owned by relatives of hers. I would like to see it. I have a small painting of it.

Pick, welcome any time. Don't sweat the language - we'll whip your ass in the sauna and teach you the phrases a healthy adult male needs, all three of them, in no time.

Samlock: Ootko yrittäjänä vai työsuhteessa? Teetkö pihapuita vai ihan metässä? Tarviiko metsuri enää metässä muuta sahaa kuin raivurin? Mielenkiinnosta vain kyselen, on käynyt metsäkouluun hakeminen itellä mielessä, tuntuu vain niin harvoin näkevän metsureita enää muualla kuin piha- /erikoispuiden kaadossa...Koneita näkee sitäkin enemmän metissä. Tuntuu metsälehdenkin palsta olevan supermetsureita pullollaan vaikka taitaa enemmän olla metsänomistajien höpinöitä niissä keskusteluissa.

Töissä olen ja yrittäjänä myös.

Pihapuitakin välillä tulee työlistalle. Mutta enimmäkseen touhuan infran rakentamiseen liittyvien hakkuiden parissa. Tien aukomisia, linjoja, tontin aukaisua yms yms. Metsissähän osa niistäkin on. Jonkin verran työllistää konehakkuiden avustaminen, ylijäreiden ja jyrkillä rinteillä olevien kaataminen. Täällä päin kun on noita vaaroja... Joskus ensiharvennusta - jos on liian pieni palsta koneelle tai tarkka isäntä. Pieniä silppuhommia, mutta niitä on paljon. Huomenna aloitan esimerkiksi paikallisen golf-kentän väylän reunalla maisemahakkuuta, ettäpä näkee peluri järvelle paremmin.

OK, I know you've all got at least one. Let's see some sauna pictures. I'm curious what a real Suomalianen sauna looks like.

Well, this is my urban after work sauna. It's not great, but that's what I use most.

IMG_6287.JPG

There's an electric kiuas in it. Takes half an hour to heat up.

IMG_6288.JPG

A nice little pihasauna it is. Looks a lot like something one would expect to run across up here.

I know there's one question any given Finland grown person would make: "Where do you boil the water?" A saunoja is supposed to pour buckets of sweat and warm water when he saunoo's.

I'm just guessing, draining onto the yard isn't an option there?

Click the pic with the right mouse button. The box showing will ask do you want to copy the URL.

I carry hot water out in buckets. I couldn't afford the boiler attachment for the stove at the time I bought it. Someday I will get one. The water drains between the redwood floor boards and in to a sloped trench in the dirt under the floor. The water ends up in the yard. The bottom plate on the walls and joists and rim joists are all treated lumber to avoid rotting. All the floor boards are 2X6 redwood. The paneling is spruce that came on a ship from Finland.

There's a bucket and a ladle under the bench for loyly. I wish there was a lake to jump in to off the front porch, but at 7800 feet in Colorado it not too common to have a lake handy.

The sauna room is 5X8 and the changing room is 2X8. The covered deck for cooling off is 4X8.

I have a Mac computer so there is no right button on my mouse. I'm not overly tech savy. I'm sure there are some keystrokes that will perform the same functions as the right mouse button on your computer.

No wonder the interior looks so familiar... A redwood framed sauna is something that gives kicks for an enthusiastic. Not many of them around, I suppose.

Good thing draining is not an issue there. Maybe a local metal fab workshop could help you out. Google kiuas vesisäiliöllä, you'll find a lot of inspiration on there.

Old Mac, right. CTRL down + mouse click should do the magic.

Thanks for all that. I'll try the Google search and will try the computer trick.

What time zone are you in in Karelia?

Greenwich time + 2 hrs.

Not mine, but this one I'd love to pop in.

Hilarious!

I have been thinking about building a very small sauna on a trailer to take with me in the woods. I could park it next to my camper when I'm out in the bush. If I could go sauna after working in the woods all day I might not get home very often! A full day in the woods. Supper. Sauna. There would be nothing left, but nukkuva!

I'm the lucky bastard having chance to come home each night. I'm planning to assemble a zapper on my kiuas, so I could switch it on with my cell phone while driving home.

The mobiles are not an unusual sight around here.

images

There's a a wide range of portable saunas available as well.

telttasauna1.jpg

I'm afraid the lassie won't come with the package.

A simple tent covering the kiuas - combo works well too. I usually build the kiuas out of rocks, burn wood in it, then cover it with the canvas. Not a good idea after hours, but in the spare time.

I've read that there are 5 million Finns and 3.5 million saunas in Finland. I'm starting to think that is the truth. Mine is the only pihasauna I know of around here.

Hi, here´s one arborist from Salo, Finland! Mostly doing tree removals & stump grinding etc.

Samlock, onko Koposen Teemu tuttu nimi?

On toki. Yksi kaverini on töissä Teemulla. Hienosti tuntuu Koponen saaneen homman pyörimään.

Not a Finn, but home now is just north of Helsinki since I moved here two years ago with my Finnish wife to be closer to her family!

Spending the holidays enjoying too much christmas ham and waiting for the sauna to get up to temperature so I can sweat off some of the Karhu III that has lubricated my overeating today! ;-)

Hyvää joulua ja onnellista uutta vuotta kaikille!

Latest posts

Back