Any Finn's in here?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheLumberJack

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
My grandfather left Kijaani in 1935 and moved to Minnesota.
I'm 50% Finnish, 25% Polish, and 25% German....really proud of being Finnish.

Got a chance to visit Helsinki a few years back and will return again when time and money permits.

I know this is the Swedish section but I'm just curious about the tree biz in Finland???? Anyone????

Don't know if any of the Finns on this forum are loggers. I do recall seeing posts from 2-3 guys in the Chainsaw forum who list their location as Finland.

We've also got a Norwegian Troll that likes to play with saws, is that close enough?

Hello, my Finnish brother!

I am 50% Finnish also, and 100% proud of it. Finns are bread to cut wood. We thrive in cold weather and live off the land with a "can do" spirit and an unbreakeable will. We have Sisu! :chainsaw::cheers:

I am 50% Finnish also, and 100% proud of it. Finns are bread to cut wood. We thrive in cold weather and live off the land with a "can do" spirit and an unbreakeable will. We have Sisu! :chainsaw::cheers:

i have a ten inch tattoo on my right arm that says SISU. :)

very nice to meet you and i agree...we are a hardy folk. my dad always jokes that i am the perfect mix Finnish/Polish/German to live to 100.

:cheers:

My grandfather left Kijaani in 1935 and moved to Minnesota.
I'm 50% Finnish, 25% Polish, and 25% German....really proud of being Finnish.

Got a chance to visit Helsinki a few years back and will return again when time and money permits.

I know this is the Swedish section but I'm just curious about the tree biz in Finland???? Anyone????

Hi LumberJack,

I am 100% Finnish and I live in southern Finland a little town called Hamina. It is about 100 miles east from Helsinki. Btw your grandfather didn't left Kijaani - it was Kajaani. Next time when you visit Helsinki you may visit also Kajaani. Please let me know when you are coming Finland, I would like to meet you if you want. I have also my own site: www.mil-pilke.fi :cheers:

My ex-wife was half Finn half Dane. Talk about unbreakable will!

I thought the Finns had more of a "might as well, there's no choice " spirit rather than "can do".

Hi TheLumberJack and everybody else!
There is at least two Finns now, one firewood dealer and one collector. How's the weather in your place? It's warm here now, all the show has melt... :(

Hey milpilke and others, do you collect old chainsaws?

Last edited:
Haloo skynyrd!

I'm looking out the window right now at our first snow flurries of the year!

Weather has been mild this fall...in the 50's (F).

Looking forward to winter.

Take care in the motherland!
:greenchainsaw:

Ryan Saari

Well, an other Finn here but living in Stockholm, Sweden ;)

You guys living in the states, can you speak finish ??
Do you try to can that part of your ancestry alive as well ?

Paaiva! I am an American of Finnish descent. I grew up in the central Upper Peninsula of Michigan, where most of the residents came from Finland. We are a proud, hardy bunch!

I don't know much of the Finnish language, just enough to get my mouth slapped when I was a kid! Haha!

The old timers still speak Finnish, and I wish I knew more of it.

Unlike most American's, I do know how to pronounce Sauna correctly!

I really hate to hear it pronounced SAW-na.

Bob

Terve Bob :)

Nice to meet you and great to her that you finns are going strong.

Its never too late to take some finnish language courses ;)
If you are lucky you will get the hang of it pretty soon, i think that if its in your genes i can be easyer than otherwise.

Best regards Johan aka Jussi in finnish ;)

I don't speak any Finnish, though my dad may know a word or two since he was raised by my Great Grandfather who came from Finland himself. Dad and some brothers and sisters are going over to Finland this summer to stay with our ancesters over there for a while, it'll be good since it's the first time for some of them.

Hello All! I'm in about the same shape as bobt:greenchainsaw: my great grandfather and his brother came to Northern Minnesota in 1905 and settled in a town called Soumi ( just north of GrandRapids) Great Grandpa and his kids greneration all spoke Finn, so I heard it alot growing up,sad to say I only picked up a few words,I wished I'd payed more attention! They were loggers and log home builders, so it's no wonder I've got sawdust in my blood:greenchainsaw: This is already a cool thread, I look forward see who shows up! Oh, bobt, When I went into the Navy, the only guy I met who knew what a Finlander was was from Escanaba, love them UUPPERS!
Jon Huju

Hi again guys!

I sure am proud of my ancestry! I am half Finn, and Half Belgian. Dad's family was all Finnish, adn Mom's family was from Belgium. I am a halfbreed so to say! Haha!

I am sorry to say that neither the Finns or the Belgians did anything to promote their native language to the young people of my time. (I was born in 1956). The languages are slowly becoming extinct.

My Mother knew Belgian, as my Grandmother and Grandfather emmigrated from Belgium in 1910. But they spoke the language around me in order to keep me from knowing what they were talking about. I learned only a few words.

The Finnish side was even worse,,,,,,the old timers didn't think us kids worthy to know the language i guess. There were church services for the Finnish speaking, but kids were not encouraged to attend. I think they wanted to Americanize us.

Yes we ate the Finnish dishes,,,,Mojaka, Rieska, Ustua, Nissu, Makkara, etc, and we were taught about Finnish customs, but the Language was reserved solely for the older folks. Darn shame in my opinion.

My Dad is still around at 86,,,and I have asked him to teach me some more words and phrases, but he is reluctant for some reason. I know that kids who were raised in a Finnish speaking household in his years had a hard time learning English when they went to school, so that may be part of it.

Bob

Hi again guys!

I sure am proud of my ancestry! I am half Finn, and Half Belgian. Dad's family was all Finnish, adn Mom's family was from Belgium. I am a halfbreed so to say! Haha!

I am sorry to say that neither the Finns or the Belgians did anything to promote their native language to the young people of my time. (I was born in 1956). The languages are slowly becoming extinct.

My Mother knew Belgian, as my Grandmother and Grandfather emmigrated from Belgium in 1910. But they spoke the language around me in order to keep me from knowing what they were talking about. I learned only a few words.

The Finnish side was even worse,,,,,,the old timers didn't think us kids worthy to know the language i guess. There were church services for the Finnish speaking, but kids were not encouraged to attend. I think they wanted to Americanize us.

Yes we ate the Finnish dishes,,,,Mojaka, Rieska, Ustua, Nissu, Makkara, etc, and we were taught about Finnish customs, but the Language was reserved solely for the older folks. Darn shame in my opinion.

My Dad is still around at 86,,,and I have asked him to teach me some more words and phrases, but he is reluctant for some reason. I know that kids who were raised in a Finnish speaking household in his years had a hard time learning English when they went to school, so that may be part of it.

Bob

Bob, LOTS of Finns up here in and around Ely and northeastern Minnesota as a whole. And quite a bunch of them speak the language. How do I know? When they are speaking a strange language at me in the bars and pointing their fingers and sneering at me, I know they are cussing in Finnish. :D :D

Seriously, lots of Finnish language speakers here.

Stihly:

An other reason to learn finish is that then you can sneak listen to other people..;)

I went to Disney World in 2008 and were sitting with a friend in a roller coaster, we were sitting almost in the back when i heard someone speak finnish...
It was a couple in the last coaster car, so i turned around and boy were they suprised when i greeted them in finnish ;)
They were actually from Philly, but it was a cool coinsidence..

Last summer i walked in the town of Stockholm with some friends, a head of us walked a really good looking girl with a nice bum ;)
I am a loud mouth sometimes and told my friends what a nice ass that girl has and that i could show her some nice moves....
Suddenly she stops, turns around and ask in finnish what kind of moves i had in mind ;)
Hehe, you never know who can your language and what you can hear ;)

Back