Any firewood you won't take (cut)for free

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not fussy.

At home I use mostly birch through the winter, mostly because I'd rather not go home in the middle of work to put wood in the stove. With birch I have no issue getting 12-14hrs on a load. If I load it with spruce or poplar, it's maybe half that.

At the shop, if it burns and will fit in the stove, in it goes. Fall and spring mostly feed it processor trash. In the winter more a diet of poplar. (processor trash goes into my "hobo heater" to keep me warm haha)

What's wrong with cottonwood (poplar)?

Heck a tree service brought buy probably 15-20 cords worth last week and they were tickled to death that someone would take it. Lot of decent saw logs in the pile too. Most was 8-10ft lengths, little bit of smaller chunks, maybe 1/2 a cord or so, that I split up and it's been heating the shop the last few days.

Did end up being logs that stink like dog poo, though that smell went away pretty quickly. Always wondered what makes that smell. Have had some smell like candy too.

Don't like cottonwood. Smells like piss, is heavy as hell when cut, leaks water out the stump, and lasts 3 minutes. Not a huge basswood guy either. If someone wants to drop it off and it is all bucked I'll split it and put it in the stack. Or if I am cutting in someones woods and I have to take it all I will. Other than that I let it live.

Only wood I cull is wood I have to really work for to get.. If I can get to it and its burns, I'll take it. Pine I leave in log form for a year, that usually takes care of the bark. Popular I wont drive extra for, but if I am there and the Popular is there, I take it home with me. Im burning pine, popular, brddford pair, walnut, red oak, white oak and birch, and I think there is some maple mixed in my wood rack right now. House is warm too.

On my property, I let friends and family cut pine, walnut, poplar,cottonwood and Gum. Lol
Infact any dead evergreen.

Mostly Oaks on property, that's what I stick to unless a shagbark gets in the way.

boxelder and hackberry....no thanx

What don't you like about hackberry? It's rated pretty good. I've only cut one and haven't burnt any yet. I get lots of box elder. It dries light and burns hot. People say it rots but split and stacked it seems to keep for awhile. I mix it in all heating season.

Back