Any ideas on what kinda maple this? Worth milling?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If it is indeed maple, and its one of the indigenous varieties (not some weird yard tree) then it is likely big leaf maple, given that you are in the PNW. Check the leaves, they will be dinner plate sized on a mature tree.

It can have some nice colors in it ranging from bright white to orangey-brown and it spalts.

I've milled lots of it recently. It cuts similar to fir (softwood) when wet, but if it dries at all it gets very hard.

Pacific Big Leaf Maple. I live right in the middle of its range. Below photos are of some gunstock wood I cut in the 1990's.

Keep in mind this type of grain is rare, few trees have it.

No finish, right off the duplicator, rough sanded:

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

Gq8R0pb.jpg

We got some maple milled up yesterday. Slabs are 40" wide x 7.5ft long x 2.5" thick.
What you can't see in the photo is that we milled about 15ft below the road and had to haul the slabs up a hill that was too steep to even walk up. Thankfully we have winches on the trucks. Took a break to shoot some photos as my brother was jacking up the log to re-position it.

DSC_0090.JPG

DSC_0091.JPG

I didn’t get a chance to see the pictures but here in MT we have a lot of Silver Maple trees that produce some nice lumber.

Looks nice. That looks like a 090?
That is an 090AV with a 60" cannon bar, running Oregon .404 skip sequence milling chain. The mill is set up with an auxiliary oiler.
The photos don't do the terrain justice. It was a pretty terrible spot to mill, but we couldn't get the log up to the road so we milled in place.

Latest posts

Back