• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Sold Any Interest in a few horizontal shaft motors?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevetheboatguy

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I have a few motors that I will probably be selling off soon. They are a 18hp briggs vanguard. Runs good, but smokes. Could be rings or valve seals. I have not done a leak down test or pressure checked the crankcase.
Two honda gx340's. One was in a generator that the head went bad. Runs perfect but has a tapered shaft. The other was mixed in with a few others I had bought. It may have been a new motor that was damaged in shipping. It has one corner of the mounting base broke off. Runs perfect but is very dirty from being forgotten about at the shop that had it.

What do you think? Should I dig them out and get them into the trading post? Or should I try and sell them on CL?IMG_20150206_141412687.jpg IMG_20150206_142505741.jpg

I had a 18hp vert shaft briggs on a 28gpm pump running a 4" cylinder. Had 6-7 second full stroke cycle times. Worked great and was fast enough to keep 2 guys fetching and stepping, but lacked oomph for the crotches and stuff. Needed a 5" cylinder on it.

I had a 18hp vert shaft briggs on a 28gpm pump running a 4" cylinder. Had 6-7 second full stroke cycle times. Worked great and was fast enough to keep 2 guys fetching and stepping, but lacked oomph for the crotches and stuff. Needed a 5" cylinder on it.
I have a 2 splitter plan in the works. Current splitter has 2 5" cylinders and I've never been able to stop it. It's a tad slow with an 18gpm and 16hp Koehler. I have a tractor powered 4" to convert with a 22gpm and 18hp for crazy fast split times on smaller pieces.

Two 5" cylinders in tandem? You must have a heck of a beam not to do the twist when you mash against something stout. I can't imagine anything not giving to a single 5".

Mine was a 3pt hitch splitter that I converted.

Two 5" cylinders in tandem? You must have a heck of a beam not to do the twist when you mash against something stout. I can't imagine anything not giving to a single 5".
The I beam has been boxed out not sure what to call that...1/2" steel welded on both sides. It was the mad dream of a couple of engineers...

I recently saw a splitter in europe that looked like it was tandem 3" cylinders. I didn't see the point in doubling tiny cylinders. Seems like it was complicating the thing unnecessarily.

Yeah, only thing added was a split on the out and return, one valve runs both cylinders so it's fairly simple. But two small cylinders is odd when one 5" would be equal.

I'd like to build a horizontal splitter with a tall 12" wedge and the cylinder mounted high to center on it, that was the other complaint about mine. 6" wedge.

6" would be difficult, I could see rounds turn up on a short round. My monster has a 16", but a short wedge splits bigger rounds easier.

With tandem 5" cylinders, you just about had to have a tall wedge. My wedge penetrated about 4" before it tried to spread and that helped. The ones that are basically triangles aren't as efficient with the tonnage IMO.

My dad has one on a splitter he and my grandpa built a long time ago. It is a beast.

I have a few others that I have already rebuilt and will be using one on a splitter build in the near future.

I was going to do the same thing to this one, but I really do not need it.

Back