Any McCulloch 1-53 Owners?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AmateurSawer

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Growing up,the only saw we had for many years was a 1-53 my Grandad bought new. Most of our firewood was sawmill slabs so it never saw a lot of use. It was about 20 lbs.dry with an 18" bar and the biggest job was starting it.We didn't know much about engines so it might not have been a big issue keeping it from stating as well as it might.
I know when the chain was freshly sharpened,it would eat a small log quickly.between the weight and 80cc engine.
Later,Dad bought a Homelite Super EZ then an XL 12.Talk about one extreme to the other.Both those saws worked for cutting firewood and occasional other jobs. He liked the EZ.I wanted to run the XL12 because it was the "big"saw.
Then,he discovered Stihl.
Still have the old McCulloch.Someday,I'd like to fire it up once again.

I have one. My FIL bought it new in 1963 or 64 when they considered it a light weight saw. Not sure I agree.
I have started it a few times but haven't cut anything.

I had been searching a one 1-53 a while and now I have them four!
Two of them I got run , no cut yet. Rest suffer lack of spares. Maybe one more is possible to get a runner. Three of those have a Tillotson carb but one had a flat back!! Didn't know that flat back been use in 1-53.
I am looking for a good muffler's front part. Does somebody know where to find one where the chrome still exist? Mine all are rotten and rust.
Chain covers are all cracked, has someone tried to weld those with success or will they burn away with a bright light?

Cover aluminium stickers are all gone from every saw. Anybody found repro's available or a good picture from original surviver sticker.

Ok it's a factory made. I thought possibility that someone been update it using a 380 parts to 1-53. This unit had 380 filter cover, sticker still readable.
Maybe the last 1-53 build been assembled with flat back's , after 1-53 came the 380 which I assume were all flat back equipped. Need to look the serial number and compare it other Tillotson models serials.

I've got a 1-53 and 3 or 4 of the 1-40 series, all runners.

The 1-53 starts more user friendly as compared to my others, but the 1-40 series requires knowing some combinations of how to start them easier, especially when they have been in storage for awhile.

I have a 1-43 that has the OEM owners and parts manual, low hours saw. I only use them for after I get a big log laying on the ground. I just lay the saw on the log and let the weight of the saw do the cutting.

I've converted Mac's flatback carb saws to Tillotson carbs, redoing the throttle linkages. I got lots of experience rebuilding and repairing the Tillotsons carbs.
The Tillotson HL63A, D or E can be used as a replacement for the Tillotson 87D, but not vice versa. (due to the choke arrangement)

You can find lots of NLA parts on flea bay.

Mark Heimannm gave me lots of tips when I first started restoring these old Mac's a few moons back.

Them old heavy Mac 1-40, 1-50, 250 series saws are not made for Pansies and Nancy's to operate.

Serial numbers:
Looked today the serials and found a very low number from the one which had flatback #00552!!!.
Next numbers was #45xxx and #56xxx and the highest number was #75xxx those all Tillotson equipped.

I woke the flatback with extra fuel so I got now 3 fired.

Made also compression test and lowest number I got was 120 psi throttle not open. Others were 125-135 psi so they still got plenty of hours to run.

Very nice saws my friend! Cant help much with parts and advice, but enjoying seeing someone put these back into useable condition.
Much like seeing someone put a 1010S like my grandfathers back into service.

I work in the material handling industry. Are you familiar with the company founded there called Kone?

Kone is global company which headquarter locate in Finland. Made elevators and transport stairs etc. you will see at the airports.

I started to manufacture muffler covers, they are all rust in bad condition. Those been chromed when new but I use stainless steel 0,6 mm.

Seems guide quiet this forum, anyway some updates to my projects:
I got mufflers end caps done. Build them 4 and it takes a several hours to made one with hand tools. Will not made them any more than I need.
One 1-53 chain oiler was stucked. Need to remove the tank to reach the oiler. Luckily it needs just cleaning and reassembly + new self made tank seal.
So far tank not leaking and I got the flat back run!! Upper diaphragm was really "dry" and I sink it for 6 weeks in ATF220 oil.
Now I have three 1-53 and one 380 which all will run more than 5 seconds. One 1-53 might leave for spare purpose but we will see. The fuel tank inside is really bad condition.

Most of the conversations are taking place in the McCulloch thread in the stickies section.

Mark

In reference to your reply to check the Mac stickies and ATM's thread reference/reply to not many replies to his questions about Mac's

I see this when note about to select stickies:
All chainsaw stickies are here. Do NOT start threads here. This is for stickies that are in the chainsaw forum. Once you PURCHASE a sticky with your credits a moderator will move it from Chainsaw to here.

Why move/hide a thread to stickies if it's going strong and getting lots of replies
I do not understand why for????
Can someone explain?

I'm not sure if this is how I should post a saw I'd like to sell. I have an McCulloch I-53 in good shape. It runs like a beast. Only issue is a broken cover. Makes it hard to start. Anyone interested please email. [email protected]. let me know what you think.

Latest posts

Back