Any millenials still heat with wood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Im turning 32 in a few weeks. We heat with wood, split with an axe only, my 33 year old wife and 4 year old son both enjoy the work and the rewards from it.

I think my 4 year old may like it as much as me. As soon as i get home from work he says “ lets go out to the wood pile”[emoji23]

I see it a few ways. Splitting wood, playing with chainsaws is good exercise, keeps me out of trouble, keeps the house warm, saves money on the gas bill, its nice an peaceful work in solitude a lot of times, keeps me busy at home (i love working at home) and when the wife ask “dont you already have enough chainsaws?” I say “would you like me to spend the money on booze and women instead”.

We all need hobbies to spend money one. This is mine. Life is to short to not have fun.

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

Im turn 32 in a few weeks. We heat with wood, split with an axe only, my 33 year old wife and 4 year old son both enjoy the work and the rewards from it.

I think my 4 year old may like it as much as me. As soon as i get home from work he says “ lets go out to the wood pile”[emoji23]

I see it a few ways. Splitting wood, playing with chainsaws is good exercise, keeps me out of trouble, keeps the house warm, saves money on the gas bill, its nice an peaceful work on solitude a lot of times, keeps me busy at home (i love working at home) and when the wife ask “dont you already have enough chainsaws?” I say “would you like me to spend the money on booze and women instead”.

We all meed hobbies to spend money one. This is mine. Life is to short to not have fun.

What if she said yes to the booze and women? Would you still cut wood?

Grand-daughter is 24, travels around the country in a skoolie (converted bus)

Has this tiny little 1 cubic foot sized wood stove heats the bus just fine.

'Woodpile' is a couple of 5 gal buckers she fills with scraps at construction sites.

She likes to travel the Southern states in the winter - !

I see it a few ways. Splitting wood, playing with chainsaws is good exercise, keeps me out of trouble, keeps the house warm, saves money on the gas bill, its nice an peaceful work in solitude a lot of times, keeps me busy at home (i love working at home) and when the wife ask “dont you already have enough chainsaws?” I say “would you like me to spend the money on booze and women instead”.

We all need hobbies to spend money one. This is mine. Life is to short to not have fun.

Sometimes I feel like I have too many hobbies, and they all compete for my time and attention. Cutting wood just happened to come with the added benefit of use. Plus, running saws and swinging axes are just bada$$

I've had the "don't you already have enough X ?" line a few times already, but at this point in our marriage the wife knows what makes me happy. Other women and booze? Well, I make own alcohol; and women, heh... I have my hands full dealing with just one, but at least she's cool. She's got her own hobbies too, but has no problem coming out and running saws with me or running the burn barrels, or thinning out the woods. That's why I'm glad I'm already married, dealing with women works just get in the way of life. An old timer once told me "it doesn't matter how good looking she is, somewhere there is a poor fella who is tired of putting up with her sh!t"

"The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers."

~Socrates (469-399 B.C.)
I just read a book about a logger that was talking about this new generation of loggers who he called drugstore loggers, they shaved every day, lived in house nearby (instead of at the camp) and drove their car to the site. He didn't consider this young generation to be real loggers. That was in the 1920's :)

I was born in 1979, always thought millennials were born in the first decade of this century...

I just read a book about a logger that was talking about this new generation of loggers who he called drugstore loggers, they shaved every day, lived in house nearby (instead of at the camp) and drove their car to the site. He didn't consider this young generation to be real loggers. That was in the 1920's :)

I was born in 1979, always thought millennials were born in the first decade of this century...

Ahh the old 'No True Scotsman'...

My bosses son who is 19 started swearing at his dad the other day as well as telling him to do a few other things. I thought to my self I have never swore at my parents and the thought would never cross my mind. The kid is super lazy and looks at his phone every 2 minutes. He didnt graduate high school because he didnt feel the need to go. I get the idea that that's what people think millennials are.
I'm Generation X (30-50 years old)
You're going to get all types in all ages.
I've worked with lots of younger people that work hard and want to learn and have respect for others, as well as lazy, do-nothing users.
Also lots of older and my age that are the same.
I was brought up with strict rules and responsibilities as a child/teenager.
Take care of your family, treat others with respect and work hard.
Learn good every day and be kind to others and animals.
I live that way still.

I’m not sure at 38 what group I fall into, but I’ve always heated with wood. Built a house a few years ago, we built it around the wood stove. Cooking supper in it tonight in fact. I cheat now, I have a firewood processor that I’ve had for 2 years now but I’ve yet to burn any wood cut with it yet for myself as we are ahead.
I’m doing 150 cord a year for others and wish I could double that.

Attachments

• 3BB02548-776E-4234-BB1F-F3D4DA8F19D1.jpeg
    3BB02548-776E-4234-BB1F-F3D4DA8F19D1.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 15
Hi guys;
I’m 30 so definitely categorized as a millennial. While I have some typical millennial problems, such as a boatload of student debt, I don’t feel like I fit the rest of the stereotypes. I’ve been heating with wood since we bought our house, so this will be my 5th season. Before that I lived in an apartment that I kept warm enough to keep pipes from freezing. I don’t generally mind the cold, but I work outside so it’s nice to come home to the warm house. I get most of my wood from work, which I haul home in my dump trailer. Some comes from my 10 acres. It’s all free and I wouldn’t have heat any other way.

29 here. In my house since 22 and heating exclusively with wood, 8-12 cords a year. Depends on what I can get my hands on. Have an outdoor wood boiler so I'll burn pine where others won't, I just get to do a little more work. Shhhh dont tell anyone, I may work with natural gas for a living.

Grew up with wood heat only and as an only child did a good amount to help. Hated every second of it then but actually enjoy it now. It does get hard with 2 young ones to find time to do it. Guess I'll be the one to post a pic of their setup.

vBJ4E6fl.jpg

gIOJpJAl.jpg
I’m jealous of your truck. I was looking at buying a diesel, but they need to come down in price!

I remember in high school being told by the guidance counselor that I wasnt smart enough to be an auto mechanic. My dad was one and owned his own shop with no college in auto mechanics. So here I am an HVAC guy who went to college graduated with college degree in applied science which did nothing for me. These counselors need to stop telling kids to go to college and not do skilled trades. I will never get fired because there's no one to replace me and I'm 30. I see the way these kids grow up now a days and I get worried about my kids. I'm probably to hard on my son but I do not want one of these kids who treats me like $hit and lives in my house until hes 35.

I would be a lot better off if I never went to college. If you go to school, pick a career with some return on investment. Of course, no one tells you that when you are 18. I will not force my children to go to college. I don’t want them living here till they’re 30 either...

What did u do that you have student debt? I went to community college and paid it all off by working minimum wage....when it was 6 whatever an hour. I wont force my kids to go to college either but the school will try to. I will force them to do something better than working at Walmart and living in my house..

What did u do that you have student debt? I went to community college and paid it all off by working minimum wage....when it was 6 whatever an hour. I wont force my kids to go to college either but the school will try to. I will force them to do something better than working at Walmart and living in my house..

I went to Penn State for 5 years and graduated with 2 bachelors degrees. When I was younger I was very naive when it comes to finances. I picked a field that doesn’t really pay well. I bought into the “do something you’ll enjoy” advice that I got from so many people. I paid cash for as much of my college as I could. I actually made a lot of money back in high school and working during college. My wife has and incredible amount of student debt. We will be paying of that for a long time.

I think college makes sense if you’re going to be an engineer or something like that. TBH, I should’ve gone into something like that. I do enjoy what I do, but you can’t pay bills with enjoyment. Not to mention, if I had a higher paying job, I could be saving more for retirement which I would really be able to enjoy.

I went to Penn State for 5 years and graduated with 2 bachelors degrees. When I was younger I was very naive when it comes to finances. I picked a field that doesn’t really pay well. I bought into the “do something you’ll enjoy” advice that I got from so many people. I paid cash for as much of my college as I could. I actually made a lot of money back in high school and working during college. My wife has and incredible amount of student debt. We will be paying of that for a long time.

I think college makes sense if you’re going to be an engineer or something like that. TBH, I should’ve gone into something like that. I do enjoy what I do, but you can’t pay bills with enjoyment. Not to mention, if I had a higher paying job, I could be saving more for retirement which I would really be able to enjoy.

College isn't all bad I'm not sure how we made it through the times where my wife was pregnant and back in school as well as raising a kid and in school. She got free tuition through the state. The only good thing I can say about NY. But then she was pregnant again while she was per diem at the hospital and we got through that, fighting the state for disability, but we did it. Now she is part time doing mammograms and can be full time when shes ready. Shes spent enough time in school to be a doctor but finally found something she likes. I did college and found skilled trade made me happier and it got us this far. I may work 6 days a week and cut trees and wood as well as work on the house and vehicals but as long as its rewarding idc. Work keeps me going. We made it through Christmas this year and have no debt and I'm going to purchase a 3 wheeler tomorrow, i think. Hard work pays off after a few years as well as side work and working for a good company.

College isn't all bad I'm not sure how we made it through the times where my wife was pregnant and back in school as well as raising a kid and in school. She got free tuition through the state. The only good thing I can say about NY. But then she was pregnant again while she was per diem at the hospital and we got through that, fighting the state for disability, but we did it. Now she is part time doing mammograms and can be full time when shes ready. Shes spent enough time in school to be a doctor but finally found something she likes. I did college and found skilled trade made me happier and it got us this far. I may work 6 days a week and cut trees and wood as well as work on the house and vehicals but as long as its rewarding idc. Work keeps me going. We made it through Christmas this year and have no debt and I'm going to purchase a 3 wheeler tomorrow, i think. Hard work pays off after a few years as well as side work and working for a good company.

Life is hard, no doubt. It sounds like we are in the same boat. I work 5-7 days a week, cut firewood, and try to keep things functioning around the house. It’s good to keep busy, and usually I feel accomplished at the end of the day.

I’m jealous of your truck. I was looking at buying a diesel, but they need to come down in price.

Thanks, Diesel was my dream truck when I was younger. Started with a 1500 hemi and traded for this one. Have a 14.5k lb 5th wheel so its used to pull that around the north east in the summer. While I love our set up theres a lot of money tied up into it and I will probably go back to a travel trailer and gas motor eventually. You gotta always keep your eye out for deals on new ones around years end, had my eyes set on one that was $18k off sticker but it was sold before I got a chance to follow up.

The diesel has incredible power (900 ft lb) but the emissions makes me nervous. It's almost 4 years old and it's been problem free but the $10k price tag to replace emissions will have me trading it for a new one soon. I'd love to delete it but with all the recent crack downs as well as living in NY I just won't dare.

Thanks, Diesel was my dream truck when I was younger. Started with a 1500 hemi and traded for this one. Have a 14.5k lb 5th wheel so its used to pull that around the north east in the summer. While I love our set up theres a lot of money tied up into it and I will probably go back to a travel trailer and gas motor eventually. You gotta always keep your eye out for deals on new ones around years end, had my eyes set on one that was $18k off sticker but it was sold before I got a chance to follow up.

The diesel has incredible power (900 ft lb) but the emissions makes me nervous. It's almost 4 years old and it's been problem free but the $10k price tag to replace emissions will have me trading it for a new one soon. I'd love to delete it but with all the recent crack downs as well as living in NY I just won't dare.

Wait you dont love the communism of NY? Cuomo can shove it up his a$$, he makes freedom feel illegal. I've unplugged half the stuff on my 11 Chevy 5.3, it's all nonsense. I dont need the government controlling my truck.

Latest posts

Back