ArboristSite.com Sponsors

Any prepper here shtf?

Discussion in 'Off the Topic Forum' started by Huskybill, Mar 13, 2019.

1. Huskybill

Huskybill Addicted to ArboristSite

im not a true blue prepper but I have a stash of food, vegetable seeds, garden is fertile, pellet gun for quiet small game hunting. but what about our chainsaws? Bars, spark plugs, air filters, oil, pre mix in a can? Give it much thought?

2. ChoppyChoppy

ChoppyChoppy Addicted to ArboristSite

When we had the 7.2 eathquake on 30 Nov, it really showed how lots of folks are not prepared AT ALL.

The store shelves about were bare in hours. Water was so in demand, it was going for 10x what it normally does at some stores.
    I still had power at my house, so I offered to fill up jugs if anyone wanted. No one did take me up on it, I guess paying $30 for a case of water was better.

I don't go full nuts, but I have enough stocked up normally that I could a month without it being too rough.

After the earthquake I did add a couple cases of water to the stockpile. Hadn't thought of needing water for other things than just drinking, like for cooking and the dogs.
    The dogs have a 2 or 3 gallon water delio at the house and shop.
    The ground shook so bad it mostly emptied out both of them!

3. unclemoustache

unclemoustache My 'stache is bigger than yours.

I'm somewhat prepared. Got some MRE's, water and a bug-out bag in the basement. A prep-bag in each vehicle. Couple generators (can't get one of them to work - grr!), ammo.
    Don't really store fuel, though. Not in the winter.

4. esshup

esshup Addicted to ArboristSite

Got over 2 million gallons of water in the back yard, water purifier, plenty of diesel. Need to fill up the gas cans again, I only fill with non-E gas and get about 30 gal at a time. When that is run out I refill. I'm down to between 10 and 15 gal now. Takes about 3/4 year to go thru that. Need to fire up the genset - hasn't been running in a while. I have enough dry goods to mix with water to last, and enough powder and bullets to last a bit. Probably enough seeds to do a 1 ac garden too if push comes to shove.

5. ChoppyChoppy

ChoppyChoppy Addicted to ArboristSite

Next door to a couple hundred acre farm, taters, carrots, broccoli, strawberries, etc. I guess if it really hits the fan, might end up doing some horse trading or something.
    Already do horse trading here and there. Borrow their equipment, they borrow ours, etc.

6. Ted Jenkins

Ted Jenkins Firewood by TJ

I have always kept at least two months supply of food. I try to have six months for emergencies usually. Always have plenty of water and fuel on hand. Water is pretty plentiful here even in dry seasons. Access is not always easy though. Roads and highways are often shut so have to be self reliant. We go with out power for a month several times since I have been here. Fires are a big problem with the entire community evacuated. So yeah it can be a little isolated. Snow is the other problem when it snows. When we have snow which does not happen on a regular basis it is a issue. All the roads and access to the highways can be closed for a month. Firewood is more than just a little nice thing to have. In the winter with out a supply of wood means that some one will have to hike out out and board up for the the rest of the winter. Earthquakes happen often, but most structures here handle a 7.5 just fine. I am not sure what would happen if a 8 hit. Thanks

7. Huskybill

I been pondering on getting a diesel 10k generator/ac/dc welder. And adding another 275 gallon oil tank. I’m thinking a diesel tractor too.

We lost power for over a week once and with wood heat, a 3500watt generator and a 4000watt gas engine welder we survived. I had 21 gallons of gas stored from the left over grass cutting and heading into October for the winter snow plowing. I was lucky when the snow hit in October with the leaves still on the trees.

I purchased those Swedish primo stainless propane stoves and a Coleman stove top oven. Once I cooked a full italian meal right down to the garlic bread on a top loader wood stove. Made tomato sauce, boiled water. Proves we can survive a disaster. Under certain developments. When we lose the power and snowed in we’re on our own.

With chain saws I’m thinking maybe one can of 50:1 premix that’s one quart of gas should cut one winters firewood. I’m not sure but I hope.

8. esshup

esshup Addicted to ArboristSite

Mom & Dad have a whole house 17Kw Propane Genset. Auto on, it runs once a week to keep the battery charged. Oil at the yearly service looks like it was just poured in the engine. It's around 10 years old and has never missed a beat.

9. Huskybill

I tell my family to keep there cars filled with gas Incase something happens.