Any quirks I should know about the Jonsered 2137

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buttercup

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I just got this Jonsered 2137 from someone that had problems with it and wanted me to have a look at it, I have no idea what problems but my guess is it's difficult to start or get running.

Before I start to look at it I would like to know if there is any common failures with this saw after some extensive use, or anything else I should know about.
RIMG0127.JPG

Thanks

My 2159 doesn't have a primer so to start cold you need to set the choke and takes 9 most times pulls for it to start.
Once it starts and is warm, shut off and takes one pull each time to start.

I see that one has a primer how ever.

:D Al

Hey buttercup , after a quick look at a 2004 cs2137 ipl your saw looks a lot like my 2003 PP220 .
What is the EPA compliance date on the saw decal ?

2004 so this saw is quite new, assembled in U.S.A. :)
I took off the bar and started it, seems there is nothing wrong with it but it didn't start particularly easy. Might have been at the shelf for some time though because the retired senior owner have had some health problems.
I will take off the covers and clean it up a little, check the air filter and take it down the woods and adjust the carb. on a trunk.
I might give him a new chain too, no charge at all for this one because this is one of my neighbors and they have been really kind to me since I moved here.

Sometimes using the saw a bit will help loosen things up in the carb. How does it rev up from idle? Also is Idle set high enough?

It rev up, but I had to use the throttle to keep it running after if finally popped and choke was off.
It got a little better after a couple of minutes but I'll probably adjust the idle a little up because an easy start is likely important for the owner. It depends on how it is after I have adjusted the blend.

Quirks?
No more than any other little clamshell homeowner saw that is designed to limb the odd fruit tree or ornamental in the garden maybe twice a year.

They are okay for what they are, but they are no 2149!
They came out here with 16 inch chains, better suited to drop down to a 14 in my opinion.
Some people consider them a Red Wildthing- but I do not believe them to be that bad, they are kind of a Frankenstein saw, Poulan shape, some Swedish parts assembled in the US of A, they are a bit of a United Nations model of Electrolux fusion.

Personally I always found this model to be a bit flimsy in the AV mounts- but then I might be guilty of pushing the saw a wee bit past its comfort level most of the time.
I just picked up a second one for local $25 which works out somewhere around $12-15 US- needs a clutch cover as someone ran it with a floppy clutch and the chainbrake engaged......... but it is repairable.

Pull the muffler and check for scoring would be one of my first ports of call.
Be sure to pump the heck out of the primer bulb- till it builds pressure, usually more than the handbook 6 (?) depressions.
Then change out the spark plug.
Then it is just like any saw not running too good, process of elimination of the fuel delivery system- then check the air mix system and ensure extra air isn't getting in some place it should not.

I just thought I'd report how it went, after running it a little it seemed no adjustments was needed what so ever.
It starts as easy as anything and runs nice and solid at idle, not exactly race saw acceleration but it cuts the average 8" birch around this area adequately.
I used some car motor/engine wash on it to dissolve old oil and dirt, taped the intake and used high pressure water on the whole thing.
It worked very well - nice and clean all the way through, gave it a new Husky bar and chain from the nearest (and only) shop because the bar and chain was used well beyond the point of recycling.
Tested it a few cuts, blew it clean and it's delivered ready to use with fresh gas on the tank.

Thanks

Hey buttercup and Bob Hedgecutter the IPL for the 2137 that I looked up showed the same saw as my 2003 PP220 . The quirk that I found with my PP220 was that the rear exhaust outlet (2 small louvers) are only 0.093 square inch total area . My saw is 42cc and once the outlet was opened to 0.25 square inch it was much better than what you guys are experiencing .
If you don't want to drill the muffler you can easily pry open the small louvers with 1/4" and 3/8" wide flat screwdrivers . Give the saw a chance to breath .
I have been using mine since late 2003 or early 2004 and it has been a good little saw .

Quirk ?
The 16" bar and chain only has a 15" usable reach forward of the saw .
Scott

Back