Any reason not to drill my own oil hole in new bar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can make a cheap black oxide bit work, doesn't have to be a fancy carbide to get through metal, although if hardened the black oxide will take all day. Bars aren't hardened much I don't think though. Something I learned when drilling holes in metal is DO NOT go fast. Ideally you want pressure on the bit with a little oil and see ribbons of metal at low speed. If you run the bit real fast you can heat the tip too hot and if you are getting dust you are going too fast. Carbide bits are nice if you have them but black oxide bits do work as well in non hardened metal. Also if you have a dremel the tungsten metal cutter rotary bit works really nice. It can be hard to control but I've used those on various mods with good results when I can keep it from jumping around. Will be modding a Stihl bar myself here soon to fit a little Echo 2511T for the oiler. That was a good tip above on the spot welds by Franny, didn't think of that but makes sense the welds could be harder.

Back