• Please be aware that we have recently gotten a wave of users that, when researched, are found to be from Nigeria. They are trying to sell products and asking to be paid through Zelle or Venmo leaving users with no recourse if they don't ship the product. If you suspect this activity please contact admin and we will research their information to verify their location.

ArboristSite.com Sponsors
Peak Industries

Any runners?

unclemoustache

unclemoustache

My 'stache is bigger than yours.
No, I don't mean saws, I mean you.

You know - jogging, and all that. I used to do it growing up, and did it a bit a few years ago, but it's not so easy anymore.

4 of my kids did a race this morning 5K (3.2 miles). There were only 150 entrants, but one of my sons took 3rd place overall. But there were no real fast runners. His time was 22:15, which is about a 7 minute mile.

For reference, the fastest mile is just under 4 minutes, but one can't sustain that for much longer than a mile. Good runners usually do around a 5 minute mile, so about 15-17 minutes for a 5k is pretty darn good. I think today's fastest time was over 20 minutes.

Still, all my kids placed in their age categories (my younger son beat his older brother, but the older one is sore from lots of work and other exercise this week).

Pics, because it happened:

That's Knut with the striped shirt. He came in third.

Thor, who looks good, but he was beat by his younger brother.

Cecily did fairly well.

Bjorn on the left. He's the runner of the family. He'll be pretty quick when he's older.
No, he didn't run barefoot, but he used to.

NIP Group
buzz sawyer

buzz sawyer

Addicted to ArboristSite
Western border of mid-southern northern WV
Haven't run in a while but my wife and I have done some 5k walks. I took first place male in one in March (39:43) out of 101 and 2nd overall in another out of 343 (37:38) over Memorial Day weekend. That was a 12.07 minute mile and 7 minutes better than my time 2 years ago. Training for it cleared up some severe back pain I'd had for a couple years. I'm 66 btw.

KiwiBro

KiwiBro

Mill 'em, nails be damned.
In a former life, pre accident, I ran marathons.
If you haven't already, please buy a copy of Running with Lydiard. There was never, ever, ever, any better running/learning/motivating aid for me than that book. Arthur Lydiard was so far ahead of his time it's crazy. If your kids understand and buy into what Lydiard says, their running will, in time, improve beyond their wildest dreams.

Being a stubborn baStard, just like Lydiard was, I had to prove his theories for myself, on myself. It works!

https://www.amazon.com/Running-Lydiard-Arthur/dp/1841260266

Good luck.

grizz55chev

grizz55chev

Tree Freak
No, I don't mean saws, I mean you.

You know - jogging, and all that. I used to do it growing up, and did it a bit a few years ago, but it's not so easy anymore.

4 of my kids did a race this morning 5K (3.2 miles). There were only 150 entrants, but one of my sons took 3rd place overall. But there were no real fast runners. His time was 22:15, which is about a 7 minute mile.

For reference, the fastest mile is just under 4 minutes, but one can't sustain that for much longer than a mile. Good runners usually do around a 5 minute mile, so about 15-17 minutes for a 5k is pretty darn good. I think today's fastest time was over 20 minutes.

Still, all my kids placed in their age categories (my younger son beat his older brother, but the older one is sore from lots of work and other exercise this week).

Pics, because it happened:

That's Knut with the striped shirt. He came in third.

Thor, who looks good, but he was beat by his younger brother.

Cecily did fairly well.

Bjorn on the left. He's the runner of the family. He'll be pretty quick when he's older.
No, he didn't run barefoot, but he used to.

Google the Western States 100, my house sits about 100” from the checkpoint in Michigan Bluff, Calif. The trail starts at Squaw Valley and ends up in Auburn at the fair grounds, 100 miles through the American River canyon in 1 day! Those are some serious runners!

aokpops

aokpops

Addicted to ArboristSite
I just did a 5 k today . My time was slow I need to wear a depends . Was dealing with a sore heal my vo2 score was low . On the bright side I made it never stop running . I did a 5 k in February my age group 55 to 59 had some of fastest times .

unclemoustache

unclemoustache

My 'stache is bigger than yours.
I ran tonight, slowly. Did 4 miles at a 8 min per mile pace carrying a 18lb pack. Then did 2 more miles in 15 minutes with my teenage daughter. We are training for a Spartan obstacle race.

8 min miles over 4 miles with an extra 18 pounds is not slow! Quite impressive!

stihlaficionado

stihlaficionado

God of ArboristSite
Ran from age 19 to 26 for exercise, no races other than with a friend to two.
Usually 4-5 miles miles a day
Best time in my early twenties was 36 minutes for 5 miles.
Hyperextended right knee running hills ended my running days.
If you run, wear great shoes. I had a pronation issue which in the early stages led to
a good amount of knee pain. I started with Nike then evolved to Brooks & New Balance.
New Balance produced the best results & I've worn them ever since, making sure to change the shoes every 8-12 months

Forced me into the pool & swimming.

Swam for about 4 years, normally at least 1 mile a day & many times 2 miles a day