Any SRT canopy anchor that's rescue "retrievable/release-able"?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ob1

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
So I'll be trying SRT, and I've seen several ways to set a Canopy anchor that is retrievable once I'm back on the ground. I also like the idea of using a Base anchor to give some rescue insurance, but I don't like the idea of doubling the load on the TIP. I'm wondering if anyone's figured out how to combine the best of both Canopy and Base anchors by devising a semi-isolated Canopy anchor that can be released from standing end anchored at the base?

If accidentally triggered to release the isolation in the canopy... I'm (whoosh-fully?) thinking it wouldn't be too much worse than forces normally exerting while ascending a base-anchored SRT line? Hopefully any such clever system would use minimal slack for temporary canopy isolation, keeping shock load minimal when released to lower injured climber to ground?

Any ideas out there?

Nothing you're describing comes to mind. Honestly the whole lowerable base anchor thing is kinda BS in my opinion.
Most times you might be hurt you would likely be lanyarded in as well.

As far as TIP load multiplication on a base anchor, the general acceptance of 2:1 leaves out friction and rope angles that play in real world tree work.
My biggest gripe with a base anchor is having to manage that other leg of rope.

Latest posts

Back