any update? Boston rec climb

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rmihalek

Where's the wood at?
Reaction score
Hey Moss and/or OTG Boston,

Do you guys have any update on when we all might get together for a second installment of Boston Rec Tree Climb?

Bob

We're trying to get it together, scheduling conflicts right now. Hopefully the beginning of Nov. Moss found a few monster trees in a location to be named later.

G

Allright my commitments for October are over (except for my anniversary this week) Time to plan the Nov. climb. Any particular dates that will work for you guys?

The only time in November that doesn't work for me is the 11th/12th weekend, oh, and Saturday the 4th I've got something too. So, Sunday the 5th is good and the 18th/19th and 25th/26th are also good but we're possibly looking at some colder temperatures is we push back to close to December.

I've got a climb scheduled for 3 people on the 11/5 but location is not determined yet. We could merge them into an OTG/Mihalek climb if you're game. Otherwise 11/18 or 19 is my next free day.

I ran a rec climb for Norman Bird Sanctuary, RI on 10/22, only took a few pics, was too busy:
Aquidneck Island climb

Yep, we're moving into cold weather climbing season :)
-moss

BostonBull said:
If there is room I would love to show up for a rec climb. Dont mean to butt in.

Of course, thats what rec climbing is all about!! (for me anyway)

Anyone else in the Boston area??

OTG BOSTON said:
Of course, thats what rec climbing is all about!! (for me anyway)

Agreed!

OTG BOSTON said:
Anyone else in the Boston area??

Something else to think about is the difficulty we are having finding good sites for these climbs. OTG has done a great job making trees available but it is still a work in progress. One or two people can ninja climb just about anywhere (when the leaves are still on the trees) but when you have 5 or 6 people climbing you want to have a site with permission.

So if you have ideas for an eastern Massachusetts climb site let us know about it. The climbs usually have a mix of experienced and novice climbers. I have gear and safety protocol for new climbers so you don't have to worry about that.

We like big healthy trees of any persuasion, woods or parks or yards etc. and well clear of powerlines or other hazards.
-moss

Last edited:
essex

Hey OTG, I tried to send you a PM but your mail box is full. I can't make it to BostonBull's due to a family obligation. I'm really bummed out about it because they have a great shop up there in Essex with tons of awesome equipment. It should be a fun day.

Lets see what happens, as far as interest goes. I think I have a workable site with the numbers we have now.

Too bad you're not going to be able to make it to the opening Bob. The last time I was there the orange flooring was going in. It looks so good I'm thinking of doing my kitchen the same way. Only if I can get my wife on board with the idea.....................

OTG BOSTON said:
Lets see what happens, as far as interest goes. I think I have a workable site with the numbers we have now.

:clap:

If you're keeping count it's me +3, 2 have climbed, one firstimer. I can move to a different location if you get a strong response here. Don't want to get in the way with my climbers if Arboristsite folks want to get in on it. Whatever works best.
-moss

Last edited:
Thanks gus. I have a great big Oak at the shop we can use anytime. Maybe on the 4th OTG can give it a thumbs up or down for a rec site. It is agreat big tree with lots of huge leaders. it is a ways up to the first limbs though. I also have a bunch of 70' and mayb taller pines at the same spot if anyones wants to climb them also.

BostonBull said:
Thanks gus. I have a great big Oak at the shop we can use anytime. Maybe on the 4th OTG can give it a thumbs up or down for a rec site. It is agreat big tree with lots of huge leaders. it is a ways up to the first limbs though. I also have a bunch of 70' and mayb taller pines at the same spot if anyones wants to climb them also.

No problem with high first branches, unless they're way up there (for beginners). Some new climbers go 65 ft. on their first climb. We always place a rescue access line at the highest tie-in to cover them. Any powerlines need to be well away from the dripline which might be a problem if the tree is near your shop building. OTG can make the call as you suggested. Pines could be fun too.
-moss

The Oak I had in mind is huge and way away form everything. It is probably 30-40 to the first limb. We also have 2' of chips under it as this is our pracice tree at the shop and we also use it to let guys Demo climbing equipment from the Arborist supply store we have.

I'll check it out on the 4th. Oddly enough the spot I was thinking of is an Oak with a Pine nearby. I think you know this one moss;).

If this is too advanced I think I know of a cool beech grove that will fit all levels of climbing.

Where are your climbers coming from moss?? it would be nice to do this in a location that is somewhat central for everyone.

firming up plans for Sun 11-5

So far my count is: Me+2 beginners, possibly 2 more very advanced climbers.
Moss+3
rmihalek
Boston Bull

Can I get a yea or nea from you guys to confirm?

Anybody else interested?

Latest posts

Back