Any Wallenstein WX520 owners out there?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stew7

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Yes, another splitter thread...

I'm shopping for my first splitter and was wondering if there were any Wallenstein users on here that have owned or used a WX520. A search turned up very little about this on here and I'm looking for some feedback on build quality, reliability, layout, etc.

I'm particularly interested in this specific model due to it's size & weight as storage space is limited and I'll be moving it around by hand for the most part. I also want the ability to use a 4-way wedge and prefer the Honda GX motor. I like that the Wallenstein is much shorter than the Timberwolf TW-P1 while hopefully(?), being of the same quality. It would be nice to load in the back of my pickup to help out friends as several of my buddies heat with wood but all hand split. I don't have a trailer for transport.

I've used several horizontal/vertical splitters and dedicated horizontal splitters and prefer the horizontal only. I definitely want something easy to move around a sloping yard so the 500-600lb Iron and Oak and Brave splitters are not as appealing for those reasons although I think they're great machines.

Thanks for any helpful thoughts.

Stew7, Wallenstein is about 55 miles from my house. They make great equipment and they get paid well for them. I buy and sell lots of things and I have never bought a Wallenstein piece yet. That means they hold their value and are usually sold private when owners are done with them. No bells and whistles on them to break, just well thought out and well built.
I still can't figure out how they say they have "about 30" employees, there is no way. They sell tons of equipment all over Canada and the US, has to be 30 people just in the warehouse alone. We have lots of manufacturers around here. Helm Welding, Smyth Welding, HLA Attachments, Horst, Van Eyl Trailers, Agro Trend just to name a few.

I've got a WX540L. All the rental shops around here only run Wallenstein because they are built like a tank. I tried to find one second hand but the rental shops told me they never wear out. NONE for sale second hand anywhere that I could see.

The GX Honda is a sweet little gas sipping, very reliable motor. Like Cantoo says, no bells and whistles on Wallenstein to break, just well thought out and well built.

I got the L model so I can tow it around to help out neighbours. Mine splits at least 15 cords per year and had it for 5 years. Broke a soft cotter pin on the hydraulic lever arm is only issue.

I find I only use the 4 way split if I've got a lot of smaller same size logs. Most of the time I just use the single wedge and split-flip-split. Seldom use the Vertical feature. If I was doing it over again, I'd probably get the WX520L and build a nice log catcher ramp off the end, right into wheelbarrow.

Back