Any way to prune and shape these trees this late in the game?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tadboy

Reaction score
Hello all,

I planted a couple of Japanese Cherry blossom trees about 13 years ago when they were just little 2 foot twigs. Didn't really know what I was doing, just figured you plant a tree and let it do its thing.
Fast forward to today, and I'm disappointed at how there's really no trunk to speak of -- branches pretty much spring out from the bottom.

My fault, I know. I should have pruned over the years (or at least had someone else do it in the 10 years I rented out the property). Again, didn't really know what I was doing.

Do you think there's any salvaging to get a decent, straight trunk so that someone could walk under it some day? Or is this a case of having to start over from scratch and staying on top of pruning/shaping as it grows?

Pictures attached from a couple of different angles.

Attachments

• IMG_9781.jpg
    IMG_9781.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 36
  • IMG_9782.jpg
    IMG_9782.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 36
  • IMG_9785.jpg
    IMG_9785.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 37
  • IMG_9786.jpg
    IMG_9786.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 37
Hello all,

I planted a couple of Japanese Cherry blossom trees about 13 years ago when they were just little 2 foot twigs. Didn't really know what I was doing, just figured you plant a tree and let it do its thing.
Fast forward to today, and I'm disappointed at how there's really no trunk to speak of -- branches pretty much spring out from the bottom.

My fault, I know. I should have pruned over the years (or at least had someone else do it in the 10 years I rented out the property). Again, didn't really know what I was doing.

Do you think there's any salvaging to get a decent, straight trunk so that someone could walk under it some day? Or is this a case of having to start over from scratch and staying on top of pruning/shaping as it grows?

Pictures attached from a couple of different angles.
I think your tree is beautiful, nice balance. I think any pruning would ruin that since, unfortunately, the tree has no central leader.
I'm no expert, but I would leave the tree alone - except - that mulch needs to be backed off about 8" from around the base of the trunk.
Maybe plant another one in the yard and start over fresh...
20190406_BKP005.jpg

In my experience, ornamental cherries have a native cherry root stock and stem and then the nursery grafts the japanese variety to form the canopy. All the street and park cherries are done this way. These cherries have a relatively short life span 40-50 years, and seem to be susceptible to every insect and disease in the book (exaggeration of course).

You'll never be able to prune that to a single stem tree, and I'm not sure you could have even from the start. I would enjoy the tree as it is (dont body shame it).

Not all trees have the single stem form.

I cant tell how tall it is, but you may be able ro raise the canopy so someone can walk under it.

Latest posts

Back