Any Woodmaxx kinetic splitter owners out there?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrZ

Reaction score
Is there anyone with a Woodmaxx kinetic splitter willing to provide a review?

I split about 10 cord a year of medium sized and straight oak, and it seems like the perfect machine at a good price point. Can anyone provide real-world feedback?

Thanks.

Not sure of the name on mine but I can tell you that I never use my 34ton hydraulic any more......

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I split about 10 cord a year of medium sized and straight oak, and it seems like the perfect machine at a good price point. Can anyone provide real-world feedback?

Thanks.
Seeing you live in MA where Supersplits are made (Bridgewater or East Bridgewater I think), Buy the original. Supersplit have a rock solid reputation unlike many of the copycat kinetics that have come out. Go see Paul (owner of Supersplit), I’m sure he’ll show you a machine.

I bought a new Woodmaxx flail mower last year. It’s one tough built machine. Their splitters probably are, too. Great company to deal with and free drop shipping.

Thanks.
I have had one for about 2 years. Have about 80 hours on the Honda Motor which has been flawless. Have needed SEVERAL repairs --springs, pinion gear replacement, belt, bolts. If you are mechanical and have time it would be okay. Warranty parts have been shipped quickly ---Joel in parts has been GREAT. I have a talented mechanical friend who has done all of my repairs (for free) Currently machine is working well. It splits very fast and zero problems with straight wood-- does okay with knotty wood. MUCH faster than my former hydraulic. I am not sure how often SuperSplit needs repairs. I would look very hard at SuperSplit if they need fewer repairs. ( although again Woodmaxx warranty has been GREAT)

Another extremely happy SS owner of many years here. Most SS owners on AS have been around long enough to see the kinetic competition come, fall apart, and go, leaving a trail of angry and disappointed customers in their wake. I'd be surprised if it didn't do wonders for Paul's SS business. There isn't a day I use my SS that I am not impressed and marvel at how it just keeps on keeping on. Buy the original, even if it looks like it is at a premium. You won't find many, if any SS owners who consider it is priced at a premium after they have used their SS for a while. Most of us think it is extremely good value.

firewood.jpg

Thanks for the information on the SuperSplit. It certainly looks like a nice machine. But the base SuperSplit model with a trailer hitch and table runs $2,910 (plus delivery?) - nearly twice the price of the $1,649 base Woodmaxx model (delivered). For non-commercial use it;s hard to recoup that price difference. That's why I'm looking for reviews and information about the lower-cost Woodmaxx splitter.

Can you provide more details about your experience spotking?

Have needed SEVERAL repairs --springs, pinion gear replacement, belt, bolts. If you are mechanical and have time it would be okay.

Is yours the smaller or the larger version? I'm plenty mechanical but I'm curious about why you think it needed those repairs. Do you think the components were undersized or poor quality, that you got a bad unit, that it's just a bad design, or that the machine wasn't up to the job?

Thanks.

Thanks.

Not a lot of info here, but maybe it will help. The last post of the first thread a guy had problems with his. I don't know if it is an option, but you maybe able to pick the Super Split up and save on shipping. They may assemble it for you too. If you are a veteran, you might get a discount too (from SS).

https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/woodmaxx-kinetic-splitter-anyone.303437/page-3

https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/kinetic-splitter-woodmaxx-ls34-any-insights.311260/

Thanks for the information on the SuperSplit. It certainly looks like a nice machine. But the base SuperSplit model with a trailer hitch and table runs $2,910 (plus delivery?) - nearly twice the price of the $1,649 base Woodmaxx model (delivered). For non-commercial use it;s hard to recoup that price difference. That's why I'm looking for reviews and information about the lower-cost Woodmaxx splitter.

Can you provide more details about your experience spotking?

Is yours the smaller or the larger version? I'm plenty mechanical but I'm curious about why you think it needed those repairs. Do you think the components were undersized or poor quality, that you got a bad unit, that it's just a bad design, or that the machine wasn't up to the job?

Thanks.
The Woodmaxx website shows it at $1,749. Where’d you get the $1,649 figure? Is it on sale? Also please remember the Honda is standard on the Supersplit, but is a $200 upgrade on the Woodmaxx which comes with a B&S. I’m not saying the Woodmaxx is bad, in fact my brother has a Woodmaxx snowblower that’s been good, and I’ve read good reviews on there 3 point chippers as well. One of the main issues the copycat kinetics have had is the cheap steel used for the rack breaks teeth off. It’s the main component of the splitter along with the flywheels. Also most of them have two handed operation, where the SS is one hand. May not sound like a big deal, trust us it is. Yes, I concede the Woodmaxx is cheaper, but you’re comparing American made to Chinese made. Also when the rack needs to be replaced and costs a couple hundred dollars, the savings won’t seem like that big of a deal.

I appreciate the loyalty to the SuperSplit, but that really does nothing to answer my questions about a (perhaps vastly) different unit at (definitely vastly) different price point.

I can rent a splitter for about $100/day. It takes a full month of use of the Supersplit (without accounting for cost of ownership) to equal the cost of renting. My needs, however, are for a splitter only 2-3 full days per year, meaning that it would take a decade to recoup the purchase price alone.

The smaller Woodmaxx unit is $1,649. That's about the upper limit of economic sense in my situation.

I just bought a used HD model SS with the Honda and standard size work table for $2100. It was only used for one season.

There was a used one (not sure what model but did not have a Honda) that looked to be in good shape for $1500 on the State College, PA Craigslist site last month.

I’ve never used a Woodmaxx splitter, so I can’t tell you if they are any good or not. If you’re insistent on getting a WM because it’s cheaper than the SS, at least get the 34 model. It’s only $100 more, but has twin 75 lb flywheels instead of twin 50’s on the 28 model. That extra ommph will be noticeable in certain hardwoods. Especially cutting through knots, and twisted grain.

The smaller Woodmaxx unit is $1,649. That's about the upper limit of economic sense in my situation.
Can you detail how it makes sense please? Is it you don't think you've the volume to justify the SS price? Is it you don't have the available $ for the SS price? Is the WM warranty paying for your downtime and travel/shipping in addition to the repairs? Have you factored into the equation estimated machine life and/or likely resale value? If you've got the wood and also have enough spare time that downtime for repairs is not really an issue, then can you use that spare time to split and sell a few extra cords instead?

I'm not saying it doesn't stack up to buy a WM kinetic, but that the economics of it Vs the SS deserves fleshing out the details.

That's before we even get into the two-handed 'safety engagement' process or anything else about the WM machine.

If it's a matter of being unable to afford the SS, fair enough. Otherwise, let's work out the comparative economic sense as objectively as we can so we can all learn something.

I’ve never used a Woodmaxx splitter, so I can’t tell you if they are any good or not. If you’re insistent on getting a WM because it’s cheaper than the SS, at least get the 34 model. It’s only $100 more, but has twin 75 lb flywheels instead of twin 50’s on the 28 model. That extra ommph will be noticeable in certain hardwoods. Especially cutting through knots, and twisted grain.
That extra momentum will be noticed by the rack and pinion too, also the clutch ;-) I've blown a clutch (well, not really, just sheared the keyway and flogged out the bushing) on the SS when abusing (had belts really tight so they wouldn't slip, and ran the machine wide open for max flywheel speed) the machine in extremely difficult to split wood. Early on, I've done mindless things that should have stripped the pinion gears, but they handled it.

Back