Any Woodmaxx kinetic splitter owners out there?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seeing you live in MA where Supersplits are made (Bridgewater or East Bridgewater I think), Buy the original. Supersplit have a rock solid reputation unlike many of the copycat kinetics that have come out. Go see Paul (owner of Supersplit), I’m sure he’ll show you a machine.
Hmmm, it's roughly 9,100 miles of shipping to NZ. In fact it was more because Paul wouldn't sell me one for fear I'd copy it, so I had to get a mate to buy it and then ship to me, so it did probably closer to 9,500 miles. So, yeah, shipping was pricey...but this machine is worth every cent of the total landed cost and more. I'd do it again if this one got stolen, but hopefully Paul will sell me direct. Oh, and how's this for service - despite me having to smuggle the machine out of USA, they were fine about selling me some replacement cam followers/carriage bearings recently when mine finally wore out. They could have told me to get stuffed but they supported me. That's pretty cool.

An all out discussion can’t be had without pointing out that Supersplit does lack some features that some of the copy cat brands had. Features that a lot of people want or need. Mainly being road towable, and a log lift. It’s not all roses at Supersplit headquarters. Brands like Split Second came up with those features, not sure why Paul and his team can’t. With those as options, I believe he’d sell even more machines. I’ve mentioned it on here before, and spoke to his son Conor on the phone who said it was “in the works”. This was over 4 years ago now. As much as i love Supersplit, I do think they rely on their reputation alone to sell machines and haven’t innovated much or added features customers have asked for repeatedly. I hope someone from SS reads this thread.

An all out discussion can’t be had without pointing out that Supersplit does lack some features that some of the copy cat brands had. Features that a lot of people want or need. Mainly being road towable, and a log lift. It’s not all roses at Supersplit headquarters. Brands like Split Second came up with those features, not sure why Paul and his team can’t. With those as options, I believe he’d sell even more machines. I’ve mentioned it on here before, and spoke to his son Conor on the phone who said it was “in the works”. This was 2 or 3 years ago now. As much as i love Supersplit, I do think they rely on their reputation alone to sell machines and haven’t innovated much or added features customers have asked for repeatedly. I hope someone from SS reads this thread.
Totally agree. I see stabilisers on some SS's. Never needed them and with a tractor to get rounds on the table I've put some big stuff on there. Log lift - can see that being useful if not having a tractor. Towing - it's a top heavy b@stid on a narrow axle with bushed wheels so forget it unless gently rolling it around the property and not down the road. It does go up ramps into the back of the ute/truck easy enough though for when I need to take it to a splitting job. I did make mine towable from both ends though for some versatility. Another proven improvement - UHMWPE table top (wouldn't be without it now). Would like a slightly bigger table when dealing with big rounds.

Paul does offer an optional oversized production table which comes with stabilizing legs. Wasn’t an option when I bought mine. I also notice there is no choice of engine now. When I got mine the Robin Subaru was standard and a Honda was extra. Now it’s Honda only. So I shouldn’t say “no improvements, or changes. They do offer a tow hitch for around the yard, not for the road.

Paul does offer an optional oversized production table which comes with stabilizing legs. Wasn’t an option when I bought mine. I also notice there is no choice of engine now. When I got mine the Robin Subaru was standard and a Honda was extra. Now it’s Honda only. So I shouldn’t say “no improvements, or changes. They do offer a tow hitch for around the yard, not for the road.
Unfortunately, Fuji Heavy Industries closed/sold their Suby small industrial engine division. I think Kawasaki (?) picked it up but the small suby engine like on the SS is no-longer with Kawasaki(?) not continuing with that design/size. It is a real shame as it's one of the best little-engines-that-could ever made, me thinks.

Can see the stabalisers being worth while if the table is bigger. Can't see the point of complicating things on the production table size on mine.

The fact that SS doesn’t offer a cheaper engine choice like the B&S as a cheaper alternative tells me they don’t have any faith in that engine. Honda’s are legendary for their durability, and the Subaru’s weren’t far behind if at all.

The fact that SS doesn’t offer a cheaper engine choice like the B&S as a cheaper alternative tells me they don’t have any faith in that engine. Honda’s are legendary for their durability, and the Subaru’s weren’t far behind if at all.
yeah, and WM want $200 more for the Honda option. I wonder if SS would ever sell a machine sans engine, so buyers could power it with whatever engine they considered economical.

I know to the OP it seems like we’re SS fanboys. The thing is we remember all the copies coming and going, and don’t want you to waste your money. I remember when the Speeco’s came out at TSC. Everyone raved how they were just as good as SS, but were soooooo much cheaper. Even my ex BIL bought one. I tried it (already had my SS, couldn’t talk him out of the Speeco). It sent the ram violently towards the wedge and snapped back. Engine shook all over the place and you needed to “override” the safety for it to actually be somewhat usable. Then BAM, taken off the shelf Speeco desperately trying to buy back all their unsafe machines. Major recall issues. DR I believe also recalled some machines. Split Second seemed promising and then out of business. Point is every time a new brand comes out someone bashes Supersplit and says they are too expensive. This new brand is cheaper and better. So many threads like this where we try and talk people out of the new unknown brand. It’s your money, if the numbers don’t work, take a gamble I guess. We’re only trying to help.

One of the other reasons I bought an SS over the clones is I figured if I didn't like it the resale was so much better than a cheap POS.
I spent months looking for a used one but there were very few compared to the amount of people looking so they were sold within a few days at best and a few hours at worst. So I had to buy new. It would be great to thrash out the full economic case for and against a SS vs other brands, resale being one aspect. I wonder how much people are getting for their used Oregon/speeco or DR's ;-)

Is there anyone with a Woodmaxx kinetic splitter willing to provide a review?

I split about 10 cord a year of medium sized and straight oak, and it seems like the perfect machine at a good price point. Can anyone provide real-world feedback?

Thanks.

I can not give a review of the woodmaxx, as I too am a SuperSplitHD user.
As other have said, kinetic splitters are wonderful, and looks to fit your splitting profile of medium size wood.
Kinetics are very ergonomic.
They stand tall, so you can work with a straight back.
There is a table that allows working from either side.
The table extends well beyond the wedge, so splits fall to each side on the table, within reach to re-split without moving, without stepping or walking.
The table is also wide enough to slide one piece to the side and re-split the other.
Another plus is the overall footprint is fairly small for storage inside.
They are pretty smooth and actually enjoyable to run, as they are quite efficient.

There are drawbacks to kinetic splitters.
They do not lift or split monster rounds.
They also do not tow well for the most part, or move very easily.
And probably should be kept inside when not using, which means moving them more.

As far as differences in manufactures, others have covered that very well.
I learned of kinetics from posts on this site.
I chose SuperSplit because I've yet to hear of a breakdown failure from SuperSplit owners, other than bearing issues on the push plate.
I too have had these issues initially, and place it in the learning curve/break-in category of new ownership.

Previously I have posted three modifications I've done to the SuperSplit. Two address the mobility issue adding forklift tubes, and later a four-wheel mod.
The third was adding UHMPE to the table for re-splitting. This $100. mod is delightful.
These are all easy bolt-on mods that could just as easily be removed.

Another plus of kinetic splitters is the simplicity.
A 6 hp engine, belt drive (which offers engine protection if you jamb).
No hydraulic valves, hoses, filters, condensation, hydraulic oil over flow out the breather if not level side to side.
No big engine to maintain and feed.

I also like supporting the small family owned guy when I can vs the big box store.
This post is just that.

I'd be interested to see a thread regarding kinetic splitter owners.

Specifically, who owns them, and what brand they own. I bet 90%+/- would own Supersplits, with the remaining 10%+/- being various copycats like Oregon, DR, Speeco, Woodmaxx, Timberking, Powerking, etc. One brand equals 90%, a dozen other brands equals 10%, regardless of being considerably cheaper. This alone should tell someone all they need to know. A site comprised of people from all walks of life. Some commercial processors who sell hundreds of cords a year, others homeowners who split 5-10 cords a year. Majority choose one brand. No one wants to spend extra money for no reason, yet if they all own one brand, there is likely a good reason. Again, this is hypothetical, but I bet it'd be true.

How many people remember the original copycat, the Woodwolf? There's a throwback for you. Where would I be today if I'd chosen a Woodwolf. Probably in the market for a new machine.

I appreciate the loyalty to the SuperSplit, but that really does nothing to answer my questions about a (perhaps vastly) different unit at (definitely vastly) different price point.

I can rent a splitter for about $100/day. It takes a full month of use of the Supersplit (without accounting for cost of ownership) to equal the cost of renting. My needs, however, are for a splitter only 2-3 full days per year, meaning that it would take a decade to recoup the purchase price alone.

The smaller Woodmaxx unit is $1,649. That's about the upper limit of economic sense in my situation.

You are correct, nobody here has much advice to offer as far as Woodmaxx is concerned. Woodmaxx has 25 reviews on their website for you to read (all 5 stars). Just buy one and be the first one here to give a hands on review.

A search for Woodmaxx kinetic brings up a few threads. It looks like these Chinese kinetics are sold under many different brands. I've PM'd a few owners now they have had their machines for a while, and will post back if anyone gets back to me.

Heard back from one of the generic Chinese made splitter owners. Is happy with it after about 20 cords. Leant it out and some borrowers have bought their own after using it.

Latest posts

Back