Anybody got experience haulin wood with Ford 351w w/ auto trans

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't regret going with the old F350
I've always had this fetish for the older square box Fords with the "Round eyes". 67 or 68?? up until around 78??? My Son got one for doing some work for a guy. Not sure what year but after some minor tinkering and repairs, he loves the old girl. That's when all you needed was a shade tree to fix them.

I like those too. Mine isn't much to look at but its reliable, simple, and tough. Perfect for what I use it for.

Well, got a load on her tonight to deliver in the morning. I figured about 3/4 cord (loosely thrown in.) If I took the time to stack everything to the sideboard height and a little higher in the middle, then I can get an easy cord on there. This load is 100% locust. Thought about keeping it for my personal stack for next year, but this load will bring $200 so...

Attachments

• IMG_0054.jpg
    IMG_0054.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0053.jpg
    IMG_0053.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 27
I'm not real familiar with the 97s but if they are the same interior wise as the Stage II's, you may be eligible for membership into the elite CDC. (Cracked Dash Club)
Merry Christmas all

Thought I'd update the thread to say that the ole Dodge is hangin' tough (knock on wood!) Got the killer dowel pin tabbed in a couple months back so it can't fall out and ruin the engine.

Here's a couple of action shots.

The 1st pic is a load of about 400 bd/ft of locust decking (and wood splitter in tow) that was about a 150 mile round-trip delivery (came back home with a bed full of split firewood.) I averaged 18.5 mpg on some pretty twisty and climbing mountain roads the whole way. Seems to get better mileage when I load her down and hit the road. Driving w/ bed empty less than 40-50 miles or around town, I get around 15 (still curvy, mountain roads though.)

2nd pic is just about a full load of firewood. It was about 5* that day in full sun…. She cranks without the plugging her in, but she doesn't like it on days like that!

Thanks for all the advice in this thread!

Attachments

• IMG_0204.jpg
    IMG_0204.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_0099.jpg
    IMG_0099.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 32
Back