anybody sell firewood on the side? i'm talkin small timers.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you guys take checks? I have a strict cash only policy, I tell people right away when they call, and I still get crap about it. Lost some sales. But I pay the logger cash, the topsoil guy, the gravel guy, all cash.$90 for 1/2 cord of seasoned Maple, delivered.Just go to the atm. I'm almost sold out and I don't think I'll order more for next year.

Do you guys take checks? I have a strict cash only policy, I tell people right away when they call, and I still get crap about it. Lost some sales. But I pay the logger cash, the topsoil guy, the gravel guy, all cash.$90 for 1/2 cord of seasoned Maple, delivered.Just go to the atm. I'm almost sold out and I don't think I'll order more for next year.

ive had one person pay with check in the last 2 years, it was a cop, and it took him 5-6 weeks to send it, after lying several times about it already being in the mail. at least it didnt bounce i guess..

I don't have a problem taking checks. I've never been burned, but I guess the time will come. I have three regular customers that pay me via paypal (credit cards) and I just asked that they pay 3% which they do willingly. I thought that idea would open me up to a few new customers this year, and it did. I posted on CL that I accepted payments via paypal and got 6 new customers.

One of those new customers accepted a $22,000 bid for a small addition and roof project, so it paid to diversify my payment options. Honestly, selling firewood the past few years has increased my regular business by about 20%.

All that being said, I still want cash. I try to keep my wood cash in-cash out. I have a special hiding place for the profits. :)

What do you charge when the customer helps you stack it? For a truckload of wood, I put in my ad "$5 for me to stack it, otherwise I throw it in a pile", but when the customer helps me stack it, I'm not sure what to charge them.

What do you charge when the customer helps you stack it? For a truckload of wood, I put in my ad "$5 for me to stack it, otherwise I throw it in a pile", but when the customer helps me stack it, I'm not sure what to charge them.

I'd make sure that they realize the price and then go ahead. If they choose to help you, that's fine- But as long as your on their property, in a sales/business capacity, then you should be making/charging/earning money. I guess what I'm trying to say is that, even if you are friends with the individual, as long as business is being conducted,.... The Clock (money) should be accumulating. Now, once the work's done,... crack a cold one. But never mix business with friendly helping hands, unless you negotiated it that way from the start. I realize that this may be counter-intuitive or cold sounding, but it cuts out a lot of headaches,...
-Bryan

Small time firewood

I SELL FIREWOOD ON THE SIDE BUT IN THE LAST FEW YEARS IT HAD OUT GROWN ME,I CUT ALL SUMMER AND HAVE SOLD 40 CORDS ALREADY IT HAS PAID FOR TRAILERS NEW SAWS,AND A PICKUP I GET 75.00 FOR A 1/2 CORD, I NOW AM SPENDING ALL MY OFF TIME CUTTING AND SPLITTING, BUT I DO ENJOY IT,I ALSO BOUGHT TWO SPLITTERS,BUT GOOD HELP IS HARD TO FIND,:chainsawguy::chainsawguy:

The going rate near me for stacking is $0.00 per hour, rick, cord or truckload.

I do enjoy seeing CL ads charging for stacking though, makes me look all the better. I'd much rather make a sale than $5.

There are way too many people whose time is not worth money in the current market for me to charge for a stack. YMMV.

The going rate near me for stacking is $0.00 per hour, rick, cord or truckload.

I do enjoy seeing CL ads charging for stacking though, makes me look all the better. I'd much rather make a sale than $5.

There are way too many people whose time is not worth money in the current market for me to charge for a stack. YMMV.

I agree with this. I will stack for free off the back of the truck, meaning if I can reach the stack from the back of the truck, it is free. Doesn't take but a few moments longer than tossing and keeps customers happy.

Me?.....dump (collect) and run

Somebody wants a cord stacked....$50. No moving or wheelbarrowing.

I don't sell a lot of wood (30 to 40 per yr) but then that is what this thread is about.

We been getting $250 to $260 per cord and $150 to $160 for halfers.

Gotta pay for my Timberwolf splitter and conveyor and truckcraft aluminum dumper. Actually it been paid for many times over.

Last edited:
Me?.....dump (collect) and run

Somebody wants a cord stacked....$50. No moving or wheelbarrowing.

I don't sell a lot of wood (30 to 40 per yr) but then that is what this thread is about.

We been getting $250 to $260 per cord and $150 to $160 for halfers.

Gotta pay for my Timberwolf splitter and conveyor and truckcraft aluminum dumper. Actually it been paid for many times over.

See, we have now developed the formula for stacking rates:

( $50/cord - ($1 x Miles from Metropolis) ) or $0 , whichever is greater. Always knew that algebra would come in handy someday.

So for you, $50 - 0 = $50
For me, $50 - 200 = -$150, or $0.

I always knew those dern citee-folk weren't quite on the ball, and I now have mathematical proof! :biggrinbounce2:

Back