Anybody Try Cooking a Frozen Pizza in the BBQ Grill?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hotajax

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
2 findings: I tried it, and the cheese and onions on top tasted great. But I burned the s$%# out of the crust because it was too close to the flames.

I need a way to lift the pizza away from the fire. But it tasted good as hell. So why cook the pizza in the bbq? So the house stays a little cooler. If I can get the crust not to burn, this could become my fav way to cook it. It was one of Kirkland pizzas you get from Costco. They are an amazing deal if you've never had one.

Get a pellet barbecue. Great flavour and very difficult to burn anything. You also see when you are running out of pellets, not like running out of propane half way through.

What kind of grill are you using? That's my preferred way to cook pizza in the summer for the reason you said.

I have used my gas grill (only light the side that's not under the pizza, and charcoal grill either with a deflector or by using a basket off to the side.

I've cooked many pizzas on my charcoal grill. It's a char-griller akorn insulated grill. Big green egg knockoff. I bought the ceramic plate that goes between the grill top and fire. I can get a brown flakey crust and perfectly melted top. It works great and doesn't heat the house in the summer months.
highly recommend.

You can cook very good pizza in a big green egg. They make a deflector so you get indirect heat. You also need a pizza stone. Will work for fresh or frozen. You can probably “MacGyver” something for your grill with a pizza stone and a couple of bricks.

How to Grill Pizza on a Big Green Egg - YouTube

If you are really into pizza consider an ooni pizza oven. Neighbor has one and it really cranks out an amazing flatbread with supermarket pizza dough and some sticks gather from the yard. Neat cooking appliance that is on the “I want” list.

Ooni Karu Wood and Charcoal-Fired Portable Pizza Oven | How to Setup & Light it - YouTube

I used this guy's oven pizza steels with good results. They have some advantages over pizza stones. I noticed that he also sells versions for both round and rectangular BBQs / grills, although, I have not personally tried one.

I use a thin baking sheet to place and remove the pizza from the steel, so that I did not have to buy (and store) a dedicated 'pizza peel' thingy.

https://cookingsteels.com/gas-charcoal-grill-griddles/
Philbert

1623100074450.png

I elevate a pizza stone on empty weber charcoal baskets. Usually set up a ring of fire around the kettle, no fire under the stone. Heat up the stone for about 20 minutes, cook for 15 to 25 minutes.

I've cooked many pizzas on my charcoal grill. It's a char-griller akorn insulated grill. Big green egg knockoff. I bought the ceramic plate that goes between the grill top and fire. I can get a brown flakey crust and perfectly melted top. It works great and doesn't heat the house in the summer months.
highly recommend.
We have a pizza stone around here somewhere. My wife probably put it away with something it would go with, like the vacuum cleaner or a hair dryer.

A friend told me papa murphy's take and bake pizzas are great on a pellet grill w/o a stone. Just get it to temp and slide the pizza on the grates.I'm going to try one soon on my pitboss.

A friend told me papa murphy's take and bake pizzas are great on a pellet grill w/o a stone. Just get it to temp and slide the pizza on the grates.I'm going to try one soon on my pitboss.

Thanks for bumping this thread. I did this one the other day. Crust was frozen dough from the store. Turned out great!
Screenshot_20210701-191723_Photos.jpg

Back