Anybody try to build a super splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
north1 where did you get the spur gear?
im getting all the parts collected and the only thing i cant seem to find is what to use for the pinion.
i like how its removable/replaceable etc
ive searched online n mcmaster carr but cant seem to find anything with with a id or bore larger then 3/4inch etc.

i have a rack i got free does anyone know how to measure it so i order the correct pinion/sprocket ?

how to determine module, I learned from this script inclement

http://www.khkgears.co.jp/en/gear_technology/pdf/gearabc_b.pdf

buy gear and then bore a hole right to sit on the shaft

read carefully what is written by Cmccul8146 my product is a copy of his product

rack and pinion must be subsequently heat treated to be sufficiently robust to withstand the loads

sorry on my English

Last edited:
thanks for the info north. where did you get it and what are the specs? angle,pitch etc. and yes i think i will have to bore out the center thanks.
im searching now to confirm what i have for a rack.

im making my flywheels out of 21 inch 1 inch thick discs.

I'm from europe and measures are in metric

rack and pinion are the module 4 20% angle (it does not matter what angle it is essential that both are the same)
# gear has 16 teeth (My gear is also had a smaller hole than necessary)
in gear is drilled 35mm hole with two channels for 8mm key
shaft is 35mm thick

thanks typical internet too much info and now im confused hahaha thanks again

i just picked up 2 HUGE 1-7/16 bore pillow blocks, a martin spur gear with 1-7/16 id, im making 2 21inch steel flywheels 1 inch thick approximate 97 pounds each... all a bit over kill but i will post some pics once i get things started.

my flywheels are 100 paunds each
my problem with shaft is because I chose wrong material he bent a little and it's the reason because I purposely forceful to test it
my shaft is 35 mm thick

i just picked up 2 HUGE 1-7/16 bore pillow blocks, a martin spur gear with 1-7/16 id, im making 2 21inch steel flywheels 1 inch thick approximate 97 pounds each... all a bit over kill but i will post some pics once i get things started.

Your flywheels will be plenty heavy, BUT, you won't get full advantage of that weight. You need a thicker flywheel that is relieved on the sides so that the MAJORITY of the weight is toward the OD. Also 1 inch wide flywheel isn't going to give much surface for belts to run.

Latest posts

Back