Anyone bore cut to take down trees?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe in other areas, around here tree jobs are bid buy the job, not by the hour. So the longer the tree service stays on the job, the less they make(per hour). So what you're saying doesn't make any sense.

Loggers don't (usually) log around houses because yard trees are known to have metal in them and are worthless. If there's no targets, then even a tree service is going to fall the tree whole. I don't know any tree service that would rope down a tree that they could just tip over. Again, less time, less risk.

That logger doesn't know much about tree service, which is fine, he's a logger. They're totally different games inside of the realm of tree work though. A logger bore cuts to keep from pulling wood out of the log in the hinge wood or cracking the log. A tree service doesn't care two cents about pulling wood because it doesn't matter to their bottom line at all. They get paid the same whether that log pulls wood. Just like the logger pays attention to the lay of the land where he's falling so he doesn't land the log on a rock or over a crest that could break the log. Again, tree service doesn't care one bit about that.

I dont see any tree services drop trees around here. They always bring the bucket truck in. They charge more to bring the truck in and take longer to get the tree down. I had this exact situation happen with a tree service who came to my house 2 different times. 3 ash trees 1 roped down 2 dropped was 500. 3 ash trees roped down was 800. Well the 500 dollar one, the owners kid didn't want to drop them so he ropped them down. And it took the same amount of time as the 800 dollar job. Seems they like to rope them down... even if the owner doesn't think they need to. He should have told me 800 for both jobs. They longer they are going to be there the more the price is. Yes its priced per job but not based on the quickest cheapest way to do it.

I dont see any tree services drop trees around here. They always bring the bucket truck in. They charge more to bring the truck in and take longer to get the tree down. I had this exact situation happen with a tree service who came to my house 2 different times. 3 ash trees 1 roped down 2 dropped was 500. 3 ash trees roped down was 800. Well the 500 dollar one, the owners kid didn't want to drop them so he ropped them down. And it took the same amount of time as the 800 dollar job. Seems they like to rope them down... even if the owner doesn't think they need to. He should have told me 800 for both jobs. They longer they are going to be there the more the price is. Yes its priced per job but not based on the quickest cheapest way to do it.
You probably don't see them drop trees because 95% of their work is in and around high value targets where if the tree CAN be dropped, it's usually in a very skinny lay and the price for failure is someone's home. So yeah, they're going to rope them down most of the time because of that. The ones that are easy and can be dropped without much issue the home owners do themselves. I don't understand why that's so difficult to comprehend.

If the tree could have been dropped easily and not roped down, why didn't you do them yourself?

Also, 3 ash trees climbed and rigged out for $800 is cheap af. I can't think of a tree that would require rigging that I would personally do for $200 unless it was a leave debris where it lands.

EDIT: Also, the tree's that he tree services do fall and clean up happen so fast you have a very small percent chance of actually seeing them on the job. The climbing/bucket truck rope shows which is the majority of their work also take a while, which is why you'll see them on those jobs most often.

You probably don't see them drop trees because 95% of their work is in and around high value targets where if the tree CAN be dropped, it's usually in a very skinny lay and the price for failure is someone's home. So yeah, they're going to rope them down most of the time because of that. The ones that are easy and can be dropped without much issue the home owners do themselves. I don't understand why that's so difficult to comprehend.

If the tree could have been dropped easily and not roped down, why didn't you do them yourself?

Also, 3 ash trees climbed and rigged out for $800 is cheap af. I can't think of a tree that would require rigging that I would personally do for $200 unless it was a leave debris where it lands.

I didnt say I wanted to drop them. I wanted them cut down the owner said they could be dropped easily.

And yes if they don't want to take the risk of dropping a tree on something then they rope them down. Thats where the logger guy was criticizing them. That's y i started the whole topic with its interesting how the logger and tree service view tree cutting. I had never watched anyone bore cut a tree before.

I didnt say I wanted to drop them. I wanted them cut down the owner said they could be dropped easily.

And yes if they don't want to take the risk of dropping a tree on something then they rope them down. Thats where the logger guy was criticizing them. That's y i started the whole topic with its interesting how the logger and tree service view tree cutting. I had never watched anyone bore cut a tree before.

Well, IMO the logger needs to mind his own business. He rarely, if ever, cuts with HVT within the fall zone so he really has no clue. I'm sure some will say 'the trees he has to fall around are high value'. Not compared to a human dwelling.

Bore cutting is a great tool to have in your bag-o-tricks for felling trees. No doubt about it. Loggers, tree services, and advanced home owners can use and benefit from it.

EDIT: Also, the tree's that he tree services do fall and clean up happen so fast you have a very small percent chance of actually seeing them on the job. The climbing/bucket truck rope shows which is the majority of their work also take a while, which is why you'll see them on those jobs most often.

And yes the price is to put them on the ground and leave. I won't pay for clean up I can do that part.

I think part of the difference is that if your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail. Loggers drop whole trees at the stump every day. That's how 99% of them are done. A tree service guy may or may not cut trees down that way very often.

As to bore cutting to prevent fiber pull, versus for safety, I do it pretty much all the time. It's how I'm most comfortable and feel safest. If it prevents fiber pull, that's great too.

I think part of the difference is that if your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail. Loggers drop whole trees at the stump every day. That's how 99% of them are done. A tree service guy may or may not cut trees down that way very often.

As to bore cutting to prevent fiber pull, versus for safety, I do it pretty much all the time. It's how I'm most comfortable and feel safest. If it prevents fiber pull, that's great too.
Which is y it was amazing to watch this guy work. His tools were a saw, wedges and an ax. That being said i had the tree service guys take down all the leaners hanging over my house. I took down all the ash in the yard and the logger cut it all in the woods. Im guessing the accuracy is from being able to cut it and wedge it then release it? The " back strap" holds the tree steady as you do your work? When notching and back cutting it moves when its ready to and may be slow because of breaking the fibers before it should where as bore cutting lets you cut it to minimal fibers and release it. Thats just what I've understood from it all. I could be totally wrong.

Edit. Im still laughing about the hammer and nail part because it is 100 percent true lol.

I wish I was there to witness this, no one barberchairs a tree on purpose. A “coos bay cut” is all that’s needed for a leaner. I’ve spent the last few years cutting predominantly ash and rarely do I bore cut. I think it’s all about personal preference. I think a lot of bore cutting is due to YouTube videos. Years ago no one ever bore cut or even heard the term. Now every video has someone boring in and walking the saw around to the other side, some set a wedge some don’t.

I wish I was there to witness this, no one barberchairs a tree on purpose. A “coos bay cut” is all that’s needed for a leaner. I’ve spent the last few years cutting predominantly ash and rarely do I bore cut. I think it’s all about personal preference. I think a lot of bore cutting is due to YouTube videos. Years ago no one ever bore cut or even heard the term. Now every video has someone boring in and walking the saw around to the other side, some set a wedge some don’t.

He told me where it was going then he cut it and after it was where he said it would be he explained the cut and how he set the top of the tree on the bottom of the tree and he did. I dont plan to try to bore cut but obviously thats what this guy does. He dropped a 30" dia ash tree next to my transformer that had a y on top right where he said he would. He said it would take a lot of wedging. It was very cool to watch. He said he's been logging for 20 years and he was the owner of the company. Ive dropped more ash trees than he cut for me and it was a whole different approach than im used to. Ive never seen a pro at work just us wood burning guys. The tree service guys show up when im working.

It's a LOT safer to do it that way with trees that are rotten in the center. I learned that a few years ago. One that I never even thought about being rotten was, and I was not expecting it to go as soon as it did. That one was NOT bore cut and I learned my lesson on that one - assume nothing!

On that note:

20 years ago when my mom still owned what is now my house, we had a handful of trees that needed to come down. I was not good with felling back then or I would have done them myself. All we wanted was to put them down into the woods around the yard and I would process them.

She got a quote from a tree service. To fell three aspen about 18" each and a 16" birch was $2500. Big song and dance about how their boom truck wasn't big enough and they needed to rent a bigger one.

Called another guy who was a logger and he sent out one of his employees. $250 to lay them down and he was in and out in no time at all.

Buyer beware in these situations. There is certainly a time for rigging and bucket trucks but not for 16" trees. They figured they had a widowed lady with a lake house and they'd lift a couple grand off of her.

Buzz sawyer good video.
SVK they did want to rip her off and saw any easy mark so they thought. I've seen contractors give out high bids on small jobs if they are busy. If you want to pay them more they will put that deck up for you some weekend for the extra$$.

Buzz sawyer good video.
SVK they did want to rip her off and saw any easy mark so they thought. I've seen contractors give out high bids on small jobs if they are busy. If you want to pay them more they will put that deck up for you some weekend for the extra$$.
At the Paul Bunyan show, the presenter (may have been the guy in the vid) had a child set the height of the tree with the stick method and place an empty can on ground where the top would reach. They used branchless trunks about 30' tall planted in the ground. The pole either just hit the can or was a couple inches away.

On that note:

20 years ago when my mom still owned what is now my house, we had a handful of trees that needed to come down. I was not good with felling back then or I would have done them myself. All we wanted was to put them down into the woods around the yard and I would process them.

She got a quote from a tree service. To fell three aspen about 18" each and a 16" birch was $2500. Big song and dance about how their boom truck wasn't big enough and they needed to rent a bigger one.

Called another guy who was a logger and he sent out one of his employees. $250 to lay them down and he was in and out in no time at all.

Buyer beware in these situations. There is certainly a time for rigging and bucket trucks but not for 16" trees. They figured they had a widowed lady with a lake house and they'd lift a couple grand off of her.

Basically that was my situation. I could have cut most of them over the next few months but they are ash trees. Last year they had leaves this year no leaves and they are all on "wet lands" so they rot out at the base easily. Its only wet in the spring though. I didnt get a price from the tree service because they told me they didn't have time. Im not sure how long I had before they started doing damage. So the logger was a life saver and cheap.

At the Paul Bunyan show, the presenter (may have been the guy in the vid) had a child set the height of the tree with the stick method and place an empty can on ground where the top would reach. They used branchless trunks about 30' tall planted in the ground. The pole either just hit the can or was a couple inches away.
I do that all the time, but usually just mark the spot with a stick, or an 'X' made with heel marks. Helps me self-evaluate and, hopefully, continue to improve. I review my stumps too.

When mentoring volunteers I always start with:
1. Is the tree down?
2. Did anyone get hurt?
3. Anything you would do differently, or could do better next time?

Philbert

When mentoring volunteers I always start with:
1. Is the tree down?
2. Did anyone get hurt?
3. Anything you would do differently, or could do better next time?

Philbert
My birth father has a small echo top handle which he uses to trim the fruit trees on his lot as well as some of the perimeter trees. I have offered him a larger saw several times but he told me that anything that is too big for his saw can wait for me to come and cut down. Two visits ago we, along with help from my (now) brother in law took down several large columnar poplar and one really funky white ash for him.

After a day of yard work he usually mentions that "I probably wouldn't approve of his methods, but the job is done and nobody got hurt."

When funds allow I need to buy him a polesaw which should reduce some of his "not philbert or svk approved" methods for trimming.

Latest posts

Back