Anyone build / have a chainsaw box?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DUGs-sawshop

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Im getting ready to build a box to hold two chainsaws and some misc items. Im building it out of 3/4" plywood with a hinged top. Before I start wondering if anyone has one or any good ideas. I saw one when I was a kid in a guys pickup and liked it .
I plan to put a small vise on top , splitting maul attached underside the lid , room for a gallon or B&C oil and gal of gas. Also file and wedge holders. Thanks

Im getting ready to build a box to hold two chainsaws and some misc items. Im building it out of 3/4" plywood with a hinged top. Before I start wondering if anyone has one or any good ideas. I saw one when I was a kid in a guys pickup and liked it .
I plan to put a small vise on top , splitting maul attached underside the lid , room for a gallon or B&C oil and gal of gas. Also file and wedge holders. Thanks

Just make sure to build the box waterproof. Mine had a design flaw, the bottom held water but the top failed to keep it out. After a three day blowing rainstorm, I found my new saw under water.

I scabbed together the very thing you are talking about building. Wanted to see how it would look. I offer the following thoughts.

12-14inches wide will fit most non-wrap handle saws. any wider and it wastes too much space in the pickup box. I made mine 4ft long wich is about right for anything less than a 24inch bar. I have a 25 inch bar on my saw and it's kind of tight. The next one I build will be about 20 inches tall and have a lift out top tray.

FWIW
Sod Breaker

Edit to add.

One thing I should have done different is find a fridge box and some duct tape before I hacked up a sheet of ply wood. Will do this next time

Last edited:
Good ideas thanks, I will go try looking for the old thread also. Searched in the past but didnt see any.

im in the process of building one now. Not done, but its close. Top and bottom are 1x12 redwood, sides are 1/4" plywood.

Attachments

• 20190609_172238.jpg
    20190609_172238.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 61
I like the vise idea!

Chainsaws are pretty durable so I don't like or use saw cases because there bulky and take up a lot of room. I do have a toolbox with saw parts and saw related parts, but not for the saws themselves.

Back