Anyone else building log homes?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TraditionalTool

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Any of you folks building log or timberframe homes around here?

Seems to be a lot of people cutting up timber into firewood, but was curious if anyone else is using timber to build with?

I'm in the process of trying to build an Appalachian style home with square logs and dovetailed corners, chinked between the courses.

Cheers,
TT

We aren't but I just wanted to applaud your efforts. And ask a few questions, if I may.

What wood are you using? How long do you need to let it dry or do you use them green? (Thinking that the process would be to use green logs.) What are the dimensions of the logs in your house?

An ambitious and intriquing project. Good luck. Please feel free to share pictures. :)

Sylvia

We aren't but I just wanted to applaud your efforts. And ask a few questions, if I may.

What wood are you using? How long do you need to let it dry or do you use them green? (Thinking that the process would be to use green logs.) What are the dimensions of the logs in your house?
Wow, you surprised me Sylvia, I didn't think anyone was interested in log homes much, although I have met a couple people around that do build them, they seem to be in the minority. Too bad, most people around here probably use a chainsaw well enough to make a fine home...

In answer to your questions.

I'm using Eastern White Pine. I am using them green, so yes that needs to be accounted for (windows and doors need to be buck'd). The sides will be milled on a saw mill to 8" thickness. 16"-24" (tip/butt) logs will be used, although larger are better...:) Logs are being harvested now.

It will be a fairly small footprint, 28"x32".

Simple main floor with bd/ba/kit/din/liv, 2nd floor bd/ba/loft.

Should have about 5 courses.

I'll have the floor joists and stairs built out of timber, but interior walls will be framed and paneled. Considering using Walnut for the trusses. Haven't got the roof timber, some will be EWP.

(appologies to my friend's wife...your picture on the inet...priceless...;-)

pic%20from%20tim%20ready%20for%20header%20logs.jpg

Hoping to work on it the end of this month.

So many things going on. Plans being finalized, structural engineer, county, logs being harvested, acquring some tools :)chainsaw:)...but hopefully it'll be worth it. I need a few more tools, peavy, level, framing square.

My plan is to rent a flat lot within proximity to where I live, set the pads, and the sills are being cut for me. I'll get the timbers with the flat sides, and use a forklift to move the timbers around, scribe the dovetails, stack, etc...The trusses will not be added until the home gets moved to my property.

The reason I'm not doing it at my property is that it is not flat, so I can't use a forklift. but if I had some type of crane, I could build it at the property possibly, if I am within 30 minutes of my house that makes it much more tolerable though. I will number, ship, reassemble at the property.

taxmantoo, I'll be on the lookout for a clown with a chainsaw...shouldn't be hard to find someone like that around here...*lol*

Cheers,
TT

TT, my husband and I live in a valley in Montana that is billed and advertised as the "log home capital of the world". This is also a rural area where many still admire the do-it-yourself. We physically built our own home, and whereas it is not log home, can definitely appreciate the effort, time and commitment you are making.

The footprint of your house is almost identical to ours. IMHO amply big. We went with an open main floor as we heat and cook on a wood stove. The stove ably heats the entire house, even through our subzero winters. Two bedrooms and a bath upstairs.

A nice feature on many log homes we have seen is the mix of paneling the interior walls with the interior of the exterior walls left log; blends well and can keep the house from being too monotone.

The walnut trusses, will they then be exposed? That could look beautiful; although be sure to get your wife a duster on a long extention pole...

I don't know how you are thinking of heating, but in our case with the wood heat we also went to circulating ceiling fans in each main room. Absolutely mandatory as this helps circulate the heat throughout the house, minimizing hot/cold pockets.

The log homes here are built on a manufacturer's site and then taken to the home site to resurrect. Remember, if there are trees on your homesite that you wish to save, protect them as you reassemble your home on your site. If you have any questions about what that means or entails, there are many on this site who can answer those questions, including myself. :)

With your listed interests/occupation I am picturing many interesting decorations and personal touches to your home. Good luck. (Your picture didn't come up on the link. Hopefully, you can try to reattach it.)

Sylvia

TT, my husband and I live in a valley in Montana that is billed and advertised as the "log home capital of the world".
Silvia,

Do you live in the Bitterroot Valley? I know a lot of companies are there, and I was going to mention that there are a lot of different log home styles. Pioneer/Rocky for instance use an old method of spikes through the logs, and they do chink their handcrafted homes, typically. I was smitten by a Pioneer home (Gem Lake) when I first started to research, and found one in my area.

(linky pic to gallery)

Another really big one, Alpine, uses similar construction, but I think uses pipes between the log courses. They typically chink also. Those homes are not thought of in the same way as I'm building, with square logs, which was built more by the Appalachian folks.
This is also a rural area where many still admire the do-it-yourself. We physically built our own home, and whereas it is not log home, can definitely appreciate the effort, time and commitment you are making.
I like that. Even though not a log home, I admire people that build their own home. To be honest, I'm not a trades person, I'm a software engineer, and currently unemployed. Before I go back to work, I want to get this started. Woodworking, metalworking, and blacksmithing are my hobbies.

If I can get this all setup on a flat piece of property close to my house, I will be able to work on it on my spare time, little by little. Once I move it to my property, I hope to dry-in quickly, move much of my machines and equipment to the basement, setup shop, and finish the build, no matter how long it takes. The county gives me 3 years from the time I pull the permit, and you can get extensions if needed, as long as you are working on it.
The footprint of your house is almost identical to ours. IMHO amply big. We went with an open main floor as we heat and cook on a wood stove. The stove ably heats the entire house, even through our subzero winters. Two bedrooms and a bath upstairs.
I had a much larger plan that was going to use round log timberframe and SIPs (structural insulated panels) for the skin and roof of the home. It was 54'x54', 3 floors above a full walkout basement. This new layout is my bringing myself back to reality. ;)

I will still get about 1800-2000 sq.ft. which is plenty, and I hope to have a private bd/ba on each floor.
A nice feature on many log homes we have seen is the mix of paneling the interior walls with the interior of the exterior walls left log; blends well and can keep the house from being too monotone.
I might put some drywall also, not sure. I like wood, so tend to think about paneling all of it with 1x6. I have an office in my backyard of the home I live at which I built as a test, and it is lined with 1x6 knotty pine. I like it a lot.
The walnut trusses, will they then be exposed? That could look beautiful; although be sure to get your wife a duster on a long extention pole...
Yes, you would be able to see them. I'm not sure if we will use walnut yet or not, depends if we can get a deal on a few trees.
I don't know how you are thinking of heating, but in our case with the wood heat we also went to circulating ceiling fans in each main room. Absolutely mandatory as this helps circulate the heat throughout the house, minimizing hot/cold pockets.
I will have a fireplace, but will be a built in stove in it, most likely. My current plan is to use Geothermal though. My property is lakefront to a lake with 90', and Riparian Rights to the water. I can use a closed loop in the lake, and pump it up to the property. The property is on a huge bluff, so is about 600' from the water, but I've been told I can use a pump to get the water up to the house. The wood stove will be backup and/or just because, you have to have some type of fireplace in a log home! :cheers:
The log homes here are built on a manufacturer's site and then taken to the home site to resurrect.
Yes, this is exactly what I'm doing. If my property was flat I could build it there, but I wouldn't have a way to get the forklift around as-is, so going to do it off site. Moving it to the property will be the same, number it, ship it, re-stack it.
Remember, if there are trees on your homesite that you wish to save, protect them as you reassemble your home on your site. If you have any questions about what that means or entails, there are many on this site who can answer those questions, including myself. :)
Yes, I do plan that. I have a LOT of old oaks, and oaks are sacred/historical in California. I have one huge one that definitely should come out, it's close to the building pad. It is at the top of the bluff/peninsula and as such the eagles always roost on top, I find eagle feathers at my property all the time. It is so big, it has a huge limb that arches up and back down to the ground, and back up again. Coincidentally, the deer also bed down where I will build the home, there is a flat area they like to bed down, by the big oak tree. I see the brush/grass matted down when I'm up there. I have some pics of the huge oak I will need to take down, and would like some advice, but I won't fill this reply up with that. I also need to clear some of the branches on other oaks, as my view of the lake is limited with all the oaks, my neighbors had cleared their view and it's gorgeous. Here's a thumbnail of the neighbors:

lakefront.jpg

With your listed interests/occupation I am picturing many interesting decorations and personal touches to your home. Good luck. (Your picture didn't come up on the link. Hopefully, you can try to reattach it.)
Pictures act strange on here, someone else was sending me a pic in PM and it didn't show up...now sure what's up with that. Maybe you can't see the thumbnail of the lake in this post either...or the linky pic to the Pioneer home in Portola Valley...let me know...

It will be very personalized, most certainly. I will handcraft this home and build as much of it by hand as I can. I will leave it for my kids. I hope to leave them no mortgage on it, and I hope they will never sell it, passing it down in our family.

Not sure if Sylvia lives in the Bitterroot Valley?.. But I'm in the Flathead Valley, and you can't hardly throw a rock and not hit a log home builder. I have one less than 3 miles from me. I've personally built a few log homes, many homes with timber frame or log accent, and commercial buildings of the same.

Regardless of the timbers 'green' condition, most log structures have to have bucks, slip joints, and slip trim. The logs will shrink radially, even if they are 'dead'. The only log homes I have seen that have very little or no radial shrinkage, are manufactured in Seeley Lake, and are a Nordic design.

Good on you for trying your hand at the trades, and building your own place. :cheers:

Be forewarned, it will be very challenging, and there will be moments you want to break something, or light it on fire;)... But the end result is always rewarding! :)

Not sure if Sylvia lives in the Bitterroot Valley?.. But I'm in the Flathead Valley, and you can't hardly throw a rock and not hit a log home builder. I have one less than 3 miles from me. I've personally built a few log homes, many homes with timber frame or log accent, and commercial buildings of the same.
Yeah, Montana is loaded with builders, but I have heard that Colorado has more log homes than any other state. Big Sky is a very popular place to build log homes it seems. One place I haven't been yet, but it's on my list of places to visit. I have seen many pics looking out over the Canadian Rockies, it 'sho is beautiful...
Regardless of the timbers 'green' condition, most log structures have to have bucks, slip joints, and slip trim.
I would say that all of them need bucks, but some leave them off. Green does shrink more than, but your correct that even standing dead timber will shrink as well. Some builders say you can control it better when it is drier, but honestly, wood will always breath to some extent, and as such will always change some with the climate changes.
Good on you for trying your hand at the trades, and building your own place. :cheers:

Be forewarned, it will be very challenging, and there will be moments you want to break something, or light it on fire;)... But the end result is always rewarding! :)
Yes, I'm prepared for what could happen, and hope for the best. My plan is to retire to the home, but that is not cast in stone yet, and my wife needs to see and be in the house before we could decide that even. She prefers the city, I prefer the country...so it might be we keep our current home and use the log home as a 2nd home with the family, not sure yet. Ultimately I want to leave it for the kids.

Thanks for the words of encouragement.

Cheers,
TT

She prefers the city, I prefer the country...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/NQ8SgjOa0WA&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/NQ8SgjOa0WA&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

:laugh: :laugh:

That brings back some memories from my childhood...:)

My wife is not that bad, and she can cook, much better than Eva Gabor could in Green Acres...;)

It's hard for her to tell if she likes the area where our property is yet, until we have a home on the property that we can stay in. It's hard for us to visit the area, as it's more like going away when we do...time will tell...

However, one reason I bought the property was to use as a remote office. With internet I can work remotely, in many cases.

DISCLAIMER: I was laid off a couple months ago and not working...:cry:

TT,

Yes, we live in the Bitterroot Valley. Although I certainly don't know all the names of the various styles, one of the companies here does the flat-sided logs much as you described (Montana-Idaho Log Homes). And there is a company Bear Creek Timberwrights that does beautiful timber framing whose main office is located in our area. www.bearcreektimber.com

I will be very frank in saying I am not one of those people who value a view more than an oak, especially one of a venerable age and one so obviously important to local habitat.

Consider that one of the aspects of this area that drew you to it may well be these trees. You are only going to be visiting this site part time in your life, but the landscape and habitat you impact are going to feel it 24/7 365 days out of the year forever. Be flexible in your thinking and give careful consideration to how you might design your dream home to co-exist with the natural lay of the land. Many of the best and most beautiful homes we have seen have been unique in their design as they have blended and molded with what is around them, rather than removing growth first and then trying to "recreate nature" later. Give it some thought.

We have had many friends or clients who have tried radiant floor heat and heat pumps in their homes. Curiously, not a single one has been happy with it. The complaints have primarily been a stable but unsatisfying warmth; i.e., no true "cuddly, warm" spot. And the expense (installation and usage). This could be a local issue.

Which lake are you on?

I also love the wood. I wanted to go with wood wainscoating inside, but financial reality overruled that choice. I did win the wood floor choice. I opted for pine (yes, everyone told me I was insane) as I wanted the old style farm look. We laid 1"X6" tng. Hand sanded it and hand oiled it. Turned out beautiful. We live in our house...it is not a show place with no wear. So I don't fuss about the natural "distressed" finish that appears with age and time. It was also dirt cheap: 61 cents/sq ft.

Metals has it dead on: "Be forewarned, it will be very challenging, and there will be moments you want to break something, or light it on fire... But the end result is always rewarding." Whereas I have never wanted to light it on fire, there were moments...:dizzy:

Sylvia

P.S. Picture is looking out our front door. Bitterroot Range in the Rocky Mountains.

attachment.php

Yes, we live in the Bitterroot Valley. Although I certainly don't know all the names of the various styles, one of the companies here does the flat-sided logs much as you described (Montana-Idaho Log Homes). And there is a company Bear Creek Timberwrights that does beautiful timber framing whose main office is located in our area. www.bearcreektimber.com
Sylvia,

Their work looks nice! A lot of companies up there, no question.
I will be very frank in saying I am not one of those people who value a view more than an oak, especially one of a venerable age and one so obviously important to local habitat.
I don't want you to think I don't, just that there are a LOT of oaks on my property, all the way down to the lake, about 600 feet. I have plenty of trees. And remember, I said "trim", not remove. I have plenty of trees.

Here's a picture of it, first pic. 2nd pic is the view we will have from our kitchen, it's a volcano near the property and that's my wife. The 3rd picture is the lakefront side, with my kids about 9 years ago. My son is now 18 and going into UCLA next year to major in Design Media Art, and my daughter is now 14 going in high school next year.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Consider that one of the aspects of this area that drew you to it may well be these trees. You are only going to be visiting this site part time in your life, but the landscape and habitat you impact are going to feel it 24/7 365 days out of the year forever. Be flexible in your thinking and give careful consideration to how you might design your dream home to co-exist with the natural lay of the land. Many of the best and most beautiful homes we have seen have been unique in their design as they have blended and molded with what is around them, rather than removing growth first and then trying to "recreate nature" later. Give it some thought.
Absolutely, I'm sorry if I made you think otherwise. I have had the log craftsman I've been working with visit the property, and he knows what is there also. I wanted to keep the big oak with the arch, but he talked me out of that one, because it will only be problems in the future for the home which needs to be fairly close to it. If the roots reach out as far as that arched limb, there is no way not to kill the tree by putting in the foundation.

Now contrast the above lakefront view with the neighbors, and keep in mind that I don't want to remove all of them, just trim them up so they look nice. I will most likely hire an arborist to do it for me.

attachment.php

We have had many friends or clients who have tried radiant floor heat and heat pumps in their homes. Curiously, not a single one has been happy with it. The complaints have primarily been a stable but unsatisfying warmth; i.e., no true "cuddly, warm" spot. And the expense (installation and usage). This could be a local issue.
The older heat pumps which typically work off air, don't work worth a darn, but the newer modern ones do work well. These should not be confused with each other. Putting a closed loop in the lake would be a tremendous resource, and I have talked to others about this, one that did massive research on Geothermal, he told me the pump would work well and cost very little to get the loop to the building pad.
Which lake are you on?
Clear Lake, it's about 45 minutes north of Napa, heart of the wine country.

Your floors sound wonderful, I would like something like that in our home. We might use pine, not sure. Depends on how much we have left over and if we can mill some of it and/or fit it on the truck.

I'm heeding both your and Metals advice for sure, I know it will be a lot of work, I know a lot can go wrong, heck, I could kill myself doing this...but if there is one thing I want to do in my life, it's to build a home that I can leave for the kids. In 15 or 20 years, lakefront property like this with a log home on it will be very difficult for most people to buy. Not impossible, I'm sure there will always be great homes for sale, but not ones that *I* built! :)

Cheers,
TT

PS let me know what you think about the big oak that needs to come out.

For extra credit...

Are those live oaks on my property?

I've been told they are different types of oak from a couple different people.

One said he was sure it was live oak.

Another gent thought it was blue oak.

Can one of you tell what they are?

Also, what do you folks think about the Sudden Oak Death disease?

Seems to me it could be the biggest problem since the chestnut blight back around 1908. I was looking at a map last year and there was actually more of it back east. Pretty scary as it effect more than oak, and many forms of pines and other species.

Cheers,
TT

TT, I would encourage you talk with a qualified arborist prior to any work commencing. Following your builder's advice is kind of like asking your plumber about your electricity....he MIGHT know what he is talking about. But.

The problem many times is perspective. Your builder will/may look at it from a matter of convenience with the inevitable thought that the tree is in the way and will probably die from construction damage. An arborist should look at the possibilities and be able to tell you if that is true, or with some adjustments to the construction methods, such as implementing protection zones, whether the tree has a realistic ability to survive the degree of damage.

And damage there will be. There is no way to come into a wooded lot and not impact the roots. They go far and wide. And in the case of oaks, deep. These trees are capable of sending their roots extremely deep looking for water. A qualified arborist, familiar with your area, should be able to answer specific questions and concerns.

Which brings up a question. You mention a full basement and I am seeing boulders, you also reminded us this is volcanic. Is the builder confident he can dig the basement or are you going to blast?

Whether these are blue oak, Quercus douglasii, or canyon live oak, Quercus agrifolia, I can't tell from the photos. The blue oak will have more of a variety to their leaves and have a distinct bluish cast when compared to the canyon live oak. And they are companion species to each other so are commonly mixed within stands. Another point my husband just reminded me of: blue oaks are winter deciduous; live oaks are evergreen.

You have had this property for quite awhile and I can picture the enjoyment you and your family have had visiting, possibly camping, in this beautiful part of the world. I lived in Napa in the 60s so appreciate the beauty there. So you have the time to ask all your questions and make informed choices. This will be a lasting and wonderful legacy to pass on in your family.

If you wish, pm me and I can give you a couple of names of extremely qualified arborists in the northern California area. They should be able to either help you themselves, or if they are too far away, perhaps provide names of people who would be able to help you out.

Sylvia

Last edited:
TT, I would encourage you talk with a qualified arborist prior to any work commencing. Following your builder's advice is kind of like asking your plumber about your electricity....he MIGHT know what he is talking about. But.
Do arborists typically charge a fee to give an report/evaluation of the property?
The problem many times is perspective. Your builder will/may look at it from a matter of convenience with the inevitable thought that the tree is in the way and will probably die from construction damage. An arborist should look at the possibilities and be able to tell you if that is true, or with some adjustments to the construction methods, such as implementing protection zones, whether the tree has a realistic ability to survive the degree of damage.
I think your wrong, it is not the builder, it is the log craftsman, and he's been involved with harvesting timber for over 30 years. He is looking at this from the perspective that there is no way you can build without effecting the tree in question, it is too big and the roots will reach into the foundation area. Trust me, I had wanted to use the arched limb as an entry to the home, but he really did point out that is would be almost impossible, and even if you did you would stand a chance of damage to the foundation over time.
And damage there will be. There is no way to come into a wooded lot and not impact the roots. They go far and wide. And in the case of oaks, deep. These trees are capable of sending their roots extremely deep looking for water. A qualified arborist, familiar with your area, should be able to answer specific questions and concerns.
I am find getting an arborist to look at the property, providing it won't cost too much to do so.
Which brings up a question. You mention a full basement and I am seeing boulders, you also reminded us this is volcanic. Is the builder confident he can dig the basement or are you going to blast?
On the front/lakeside of the property it drops off fairly fast, my perc test outlines that I can only build up to 30 percent slope as I recall, and it turns into a 50 percent slope fairly quick.

My plan is to move the home forward to fit that, so that the least amount of rock would come into play. But I will do what I need to do for getting the foundation in.
Whether these are blue oak, Quercus douglasii, or canyon live oak, Quercus agrifolia, I can't tell from the photos. The blue oak will have more of a variety to their leaves and have a distinct bluish cast when compared to the canyon live oak. And they are companion species to each other so are commonly mixed within stands. Another point my husband just reminded me of: blue oaks are winter deciduous; live oaks are evergreen.
They seem deciduous to me, but I'm not expert, during the winter they do loose most of their leaves, I think but not sure. I may have a pic of them during the winter months to compare.
You have had this property for quite awhile and I can picture the enjoyment you and your family have had visiting, possibly camping, in this beautiful part of the world. I lived in Napa in the 60s so appreciate the beauty there. So you have the time to ask all your questions and make informed choices. This will be a lasting and wonderful legacy to pass on in your family.
Yes, I have been planning this for close to 10 years now. It didn't start out to be a log home, but has grown into that over time.
If you wish, pm me and I can give you a couple of names of extremely qualified arborists in the northern California area. They should be able to either help you themselves, or if they are too far away, perhaps provide names of people who would be able to help you out.
Yes, I would like a couple names if you could provide them.

Here's a page on my property, there is some topology shots on there that I took, not great, but might give you an idea.

BTW, happy Mother's Day to all on the arborist site! I've got the smoker going with some spareribs, and firing up the kettle in a bit to grill some flap steak. We have a big party this afternoon, so I won't be around much today!

Feel free to shoot me a couple names in PM, if I don't hear from you I'll ping you about them later.

Here's a pic of the tree in October, that may be too early. I have some pics from December, but I can't tell which ones are the tree in question, could be mixed species, both blue and live around the property, that is common in Cali.

attachment.php

Cheers,
TT

Last edited:
Sunset's Western Garden Book is a good one to have. You are in their backyard. I did read in their magazine that having oaks in the yard creates a challenge. If you plant grass, it requires more watering and that tends to kill or weaken the oaks.

I think you may be in or extremely near the Sudden Oak Death area.

That's about all I know. I've got friends kind of close to there. I think I'd be doing some fireproofing thinking if I lived there.

Good Luck. I'm having a contractor build a normal house and it is a hard thing.

Sunset's Western Garden Book is a good one to have. You are in their backyard. I did read in their magazine that having oaks in the yard creates a challenge. If you plant grass, it requires more watering and that tends to kill or weaken the oaks.
Thanks slowp, I'll check that out. Yes, Sunset is in Menlo Park, I used to work up the road from them until I was laid off a few months back.
I think you may be in or extremely near the Sudden Oak Death area.
I don't think so. I don't know of any at the lake my property is at. In fact, if you look at this map, there is none at Clear Lake, but there is a bunch in the SF Bay area. You can zoom in there. You'll see a lake above SF Bay, on the map you'll see Clearlake and Lucerne, those are two of the cities at the lake. My property is on the west side, in the peninsula that separates the lake. There are some community submitted cases, they all look like black oak. As I said, I don't know of any at Clear Lake. My property is by Mt. Konocti, the volcano. If you zoom in on the map you'll see Kelseyville, that is where it is at, but on the peninsula that sticks out from the volcano. In fact, I think the peninsula came out of the volcano during an eruption years ago.

The weird thing about Sudden Oak Death is that there is little listed on that map for the east coast, and I've seen maps previously that show more of it along the east coast. There is a theory that damp, cold, and foggy climate could be how it spreads, but I have never seen anything conclusive. My property is away from the coast, maybe that is good in that regard.
That's about all I know. I've got friends kind of close to there. I think I'd be doing some fireproofing thinking if I lived there.

Good Luck. I'm having a contractor build a normal house and it is a hard thing.
Luckily, there is a fire dept. not too far and they seem to keep a pretty good watch on the area. We are required to have all brush, weeds, and grass cleared during the summer months, and be fined. They keep pretty good control on it.

I agree, building is a hard thing...plans, structural engineering, approvals, building permits, perc test, blah-blah...but I hope it's worth it.

I am in touch with an arborist thanks to Sylvia, and will meet with him soon to discuss the trees and/or what should be done to the property.

To give both sides credit, both were right. We are currently working to move the house so that we can save the tree, and I think I can fit it in. I spoke with a septic service, father/son team, and I'm looking at about $8500-$9500 for the complete leach-field/tank/materials. That seemed pretty fair, but it is for 3 bedrooms.

Here's the tree we're saving, but again in this picture it is hard to tell the species. Robert Phillips, the arborist, explained to me how the blue lake leaf has rounded tip on them, unlike the live/canyon oak which have the pointed.

This also must separate the deciduous vs. conifer familes? Is that true? Pines have pointed needles also...and they are conifers I think. BTW, I have *some* native conifers which is kinda cool, and there's a huge pine that separates my and my neighbor's lot. This is a pretty cool tree, the "big 'ol oak" as we referred to it as. Looks healthy.

attachment.php

Another point my husband just reminded me of: blue oaks are winter deciduous; live oaks are evergreen.
Silly me, I was thinking it was the other way around. But that would make sense why to try even that much more to save the big 'ol oak, it's a blue. Hence will shed in the winter, and there's a lot of leaves around the property. I know they must come from the blue oaks now (there are a few others on the property, at least one other decent older growth)

From a builders standpoint, I'd encourage you to go one room over-sized on your septic now. I've seen too many cases of folks wanting to add on to their home, and their current septic system wouldn't support it (according to code). Go with a 4 bedroom septic... You won't regret the decision.

From a builders standpoint, I'd encourage you to go one room over-sized on your septic now. I've seen too many cases of folks wanting to add on to their home, and their current septic system wouldn't support it (according to code). Go with a 4 bedroom septic... You won't regret the decision.
Metals,

Funny, I was thinking the exact same thing on the way home last night. Thinking that maybe it would be good insurance. I'm would only be looking at a marginal increase, IMO, so it's only the leach field, isn't it?

Cheers,
TT

Back