Anyone else building log homes?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That laser controlled grade box on the front of that t-190 should do the job really well... Don't forget to take lot's of pics for us! :D
Oh, I won't forget that, I don't think...:rolleyes:

'spose to meet with him on Saturday, he mentioned when I called him tonight he should be able to do it with only his bobcat and the laser level.

I'll let you know what happens.:)

Will find out how much 60 ton of baserock will cost tomorrow. He figured we could use that for a 2" thick base of 70'x70'.

Cheers,
TT

Oh, I won't forget that, I don't think...:rolleyes:

'spose to meet with him on Saturday, he mentioned when I called him tonight he should be able to do it with only his bobcat and the laser level.

I'll let you know what happens.:)

Will find out how much 60 ton of baserock will cost tomorrow. He figured we could use that for a 2" thick base of 70'x70'.

Cheers,
TT

I sure hope all this labor and money goes toward lot rent?:jawdrop:

That rental lot's gonna be pristine when you're done!

I sure hope all this labor and money goes toward lot rent?:jawdrop:

That rental lot's gonna be pristine when you're done!
Don't I wish...In reality the landlord retains any changes to the site, and I'm ok with that. It is the convenience of having a place 20 miles from home.

It could be very nice indeed, when I leave. That's ok though, if it helps me get my dream. That is where I want to get the log home to, after all...:monkey:

The rental yard is just a means to the end. :clap:

I've got just the place for the log home in mind...after it's done...:cheers:

Cheers,
TT

Don't I wish...In reality the landlord retains any changes to the site, and I'm ok with that. It is the convenience of having a place 20 miles from home.

It could be very nice indeed, when I leave. That's ok though, if it helps me get my dream. That is where I want to get the log home to, after all...:monkey:

The rental yard is just a means to the end. :clap:

I've got just the place for the log home in mind...after it's done...:cheers:

Cheers,
TT

Well no wonder he let you rent it, he's getting a heck of a deal! :cheers:

Well no wonder he let you rent it, he's getting a heck of a deal! :cheers:
Likewise, it's a heck of a deal for me...not sure if you have ever tried to rent a lot close to Silicon Valley, but it ain't easy to find a reasonably priced one.

This yard is costing me $500/mo including electric/water. Within 20 minutes of my house. They can have all the improvements, this home is heading to Clear Lake when it's done...:cheers:

Cheers,
TT

Likewise, it's a heck of a deal for me...not sure if you have ever tried to rent a lot close to Silicon Valley, but it ain't easy to find a reasonably priced one.

This yard is costing me $500/mo including electric/water. Within 20 minutes of my house. They can have all the improvements, this home is heading to Clear Lake when it's done...:cheers:

Cheers,
TT

That seems like cheap rent for CA... So yeah, good for both you guys. :)

That seems like cheap rent for CA... So yeah, good for both you guys. :)
Well, to put it into perspective, I have to pay my log craftsman friend $400 to store it in West Virginia! That's 2200 miles away! :dizzy:

Even if I need to pay $500/mo for a while, it's actually worth it.

Plus I have electrical and water, no sink, but water spouts for a hose. I can use that for mixing, cleaning, etc...water is nice to have...as-is electrical, and as a bonus it has 220 in the shed (I already have a 5HP 60 gal air compressor hooked up to that).

All in all, it's a pretty good deal for me. This is pretty flat as-is, and with just a tad more investment I'll have a very nice yard to build this at.

That said, the least I can spend doing this, the better...but like I searched for a while and couldn't find too much that I could afford. This yard is about 1/4 acre...Saw a place 10 miles from me at $4k/mo for a full acre, no utils.

One guy wanted to lease me space in the parking area for $800/mo, and it's cleaner, would be easier to use a forklift as it was paved, but would have been really tight.

attachment.php

attachment.php

As the economy gets worse, I suspect better deals will be around, but the valley will always be a player in high tech, IMO, or at least be a player for a while longer...Once I can get back to work, this will play second fiddle, unfortunately...:cry:

I hope to have a decent place to build though, that is close enough I can get down there in the evening and get a couple hours in a night if possible, and there are lights at the yard also...pretty good lighting, some I'll most when I move the trailer...

That laser controlled grade box on the front of that t-190 should do the job really well... Don't forget to take lot's of pics for us! :D
Well, turns out I'm still waiting for a quote from the guy with the t-190, go figure...he met with me at the property last Saturday, couldn't give me a price and said he would get back after he calculated everything.

In the meantime I found another guy, who I met at the property on Monday, he gave me a price, which I thought was ok, and he started today with 2 of his guys.

They have a laser level for this slick little tractor with bucket...the guy let me drive it around, so cool, 2 joy sticks, felt like a fighter pilot! *lol*

Here one of the guys is putting the post hole drill back in the truck until Monday. We moved the trailer over 11 feet so I have 68 feet from the fence to the trailer, and that will give me 20 feet on each side to operate the forklift in.

attachment.php

Here's an overview of the new space I have now with the trailer moved over. This will make a nice build area. The extra 11 feet is going to make a huge difference.

attachment.php

Looking good! Soon you'll be able to ship, and start building. :cheers:
You mean "CONTINUE"...;)

I have to remind myself that I did start this already, but it's seeming like a long time ago these days...

I just got back with plywood. I bought 3 sheets of 1/2" Baltic Birch, the stuff with more ply.

I took my Makita cordless 6 1/2" circular saw with me, and a couple charged batteries. Didn't even use one battery up. :clap:

Had the back of the 911 filled with 2'x2' squares of baltic birch...the world's smallest work truck! *lol*

Seriously, that cordless circular saw really comes in handy! :clap:

Now I will get some 2x or 4x and sandwich it between the baltic birch using the other battery in the cordless drill.

I'll put those on the corners, and 2 along each side.

Then I just need my logs.....and continue forward...darn long pause in this build...yeah, I know...that's how it is when you DIY...:dizzy: But, there are doers and there are donters....do be a doer is my advice! :cheers:

My prototype platform

I got this put together. I have material for 11 more that is cut, just need to assemble it. Just using 2" decking screws, 2 layers of 1/2" Baltic Birch (9 ply), and 3 ribs of 4"x4" Doug Fir.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Well, gonna modify these today, and add a couple more 4x4s so that each platform has 5 ribs. They will be almost solid. I talked to Tim Bullock today and he said they fill their platforms in solid with wood. A couple more 4x4s should make it plenty solid.

Got 'em all fab'd up and took them to the yard...

This is just an example of being able to be close to my yard, I could fabricate these up at home where I have more tools to use, and then took them to the yard.

The new 5 rib, MkII platform...:monkey:

attachment.php

Here 'ya go Nate, some pics of today's progress...turns out the guy who owns the company I hired, designed a grading device for use with the laser level. He can set it for slope, so he can grade to a slop. Pretty cool device, he's only made 250 of them, and sold all of them.

This little Gehl Turbo Diesel was a real trooper!

attachment.php

We used their dump truck to compact the ground.

Here's a view from the front, towards the back end of the yard. We moved everything back into the graveyard (tm), they really cleaned a lot up. There was old garbage and weeds all around the sheds and containers before, looks good, all the dead trucks are well into the way back, and there's a path so I can get my forklift back up behind there.

The shed has 220, electrical has been restored, with new posts. They had a post drill for the Gehl, all is run and working.

attachment.php

Here's a clean shot of the building area.

attachment.php

Here's a link to the patent the grading company owns for the device they fabricate, it allows you to take data points and determine what needs to be raised/lowered on the grade. You can set the grade also, of course, and it will allow you to grade with it.

Scalable measuring apparatus and displacement display device, system and method

Last edited:
Metals,

I thought I had those pics as images in that last message, maybe it just needed to refresh or something.

Anyway, it appeared to me that I am in need of some timber in a bad way, at the yard...it's looking a bit bare now...:rolleyes:

Cheers,
TT

Metals,

I thought I had those pics as images in that last message, maybe it just needed to refresh or something.

Anyway, it appeared to me that I am in need of some timber in a bad way, at the yard...it's looking a bit bare now...:rolleyes:

Cheers,
TT

Yes, you need some wood so you can get to work... Idle hands and all. ;)

Yes, you need some wood so you can get to work... Idle hands and all. ;)
:agree2: :cry:

I think I'm getting close, but have some timber on the other end that still needs to be gathered, I think (roof and/or porches). Getting close...getting close...

But no cigar yet...:cry:

TT,

Yes, we live in the Bitterroot Valley. Although I certainly don't know all the names of the various styles, one of the companies here does the flat-sided logs much as you described (Montana-Idaho Log Homes). And there is a company Bear Creek Timberwrights that does beautiful timber framing whose main office is located in our area. www.bearcreektimber.com

I will be very frank in saying I am not one of those people who value a view more than an oak, especially one of a venerable age and one so obviously important to local habitat.

Consider that one of the aspects of this area that drew you to it may well be these trees. You are only going to be visiting this site part time in your life, but the landscape and habitat you impact are going to feel it 24/7 365 days out of the year forever. Be flexible in your thinking and give careful consideration to how you might design your dream home to co-exist with the natural lay of the land. Many of the best and most beautiful homes we have seen have been unique in their design as they have blended and molded with what is around them, rather than removing growth first and then trying to "recreate nature" later. Give it some thought.

We have had many friends or clients who have tried radiant floor heat and heat pumps in their homes. Curiously, not a single one has been happy with it. The complaints have primarily been a stable but unsatisfying warmth; i.e., no true "cuddly, warm" spot. And the expense (installation and usage). This could be a local issue.

Which lake are you on?

I also love the wood. I wanted to go with wood wainscoating inside, but financial reality overruled that choice. I did win the wood floor choice. I opted for pine (yes, everyone told me I was insane) as I wanted the old style farm look. We laid 1"X6" tng. Hand sanded it and hand oiled it. Turned out beautiful. We live in our house...it is not a show place with no wear. So I don't fuss about the natural "distressed" finish that appears with age and time. It was also dirt cheap: 61 cents/sq ft.

Metals has it dead on: "Be forewarned, it will be very challenging, and there will be moments you want to break something, or light it on fire... But the end result is always rewarding." Whereas I have never wanted to light it on fire, there were moments...:dizzy:

Sylvia

P.S. Picture is looking out our front door. Bitterroot Range in the Rocky Mountains.

attachment.php

uau looks amaizing i wish i had my house over there ....

Made this timber mallet today (a.k.a. a "persuader")

The head is made out of laminated hard maple, and the handle was got from Homer, it's a hickory sledge handle, 36" long.

The head is 12 1/2" long, 7" high, and 5 1/2" wide. Weighs about 12 lbs without the handle.

http://arboristsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=105389&stc=1&
d=1249186305

Back