Anyone else fired up their woodstove yet?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lit off my first for the season this afternoon. Made mistake of grabbing scraps off the uglies pile and filled firebox half full. Few minutes later had toshut down all the drafts. Did take the chill off tho. Might be running it 24/7 here in a few days, highs in the 60s lows 40s and 30s. No frost for us here yet but threat of it N Idaho, NE Washington and into MT. Snow predicted tonith NW Mt.

Took out bottom sections on the 2 wood burner flue pipes& swept the rest & cleaned bottom section tested out both wit a couple of splits good lady took advantage to raise the bread rolls she was in the process of baking All OK so good to go come the cold & whatever else weather

Sure, been heating for a couple weeks. At home mostly just a fire at night, at the shop it's been full time, just not packing the stove. Highs in the 50s, lows in the 30s-40s.

Trees are well on their way to dropping the leaves, most of them are yellow at this point.
Most years we see snow toward the end of Sept and there's usually snow that's staying by Holloween.

Not yet but we did get down to 6* one or two nights now. No actual frost yet.
Got my wood stove and chimney all cleaned last week and I'll be cleaning my pellet stove today or tomorrow.
Also got my 150 bags of wood pellets delivered and stacked ready to go. Had 31 bags from last year left so they are up front.
Have to make up some kindling this weekend too.
DSCF7863.JPG DSCF7866.JPG DSCF7865.JPG

I ain't even put a long sleeved shirt on yet. It's been mid to upper 80s all week... supposed to have a slight cooling trend over the next couple days and then back in the 80s by the end of the week. Heck, the A/C is running right now.
Either way I won't be burning wood this year... the house situation finally came to a head and I was forced to find new digs fast. After living the country life for 40 years I'm now a town dweller. Wood furnace and stove are in storage... have no use for my saws and rolled my splitter into dads utility shed (after all it was his to begin with). Sold the golf cart we used as a runabout/utility vehicle yesterday and have placed more "stuff" on the for sale list... just have no need/use/space for it. I won't miss the country this winter... but when spring comes around... who knows??

Not yet but we did get down to 6* one or two nights now. No actual frost yet.
Got my wood stove and chimney all cleaned last week and I'll be cleaning my pellet stove today or tomorrow.
Also got my 150 bags of wood pellets delivered and stacked ready to go. Had 31 bags from last year left so they are up front.
Have to make up some kindling this weekend too.
View attachment 601759 View attachment 601760 View attachment 601761

Brr. Where do you live thar it's that cold?!

Low 80's and very humid ... Contemplating turning the air back on

I ain't even put a long sleeved shirt on yet. It's been mid to upper 80s all week... supposed to have a slight cooling trend over the next couple days and then back in the 80s by the end of the week. Heck, the A/C is running right now.
Either way I won't be burning wood this year... the house situation finally came to a head and I was forced to find new digs fast. After living the country life for 40 years I'm now a town dweller. Wood furnace and stove are in storage... have no use for my saws and rolled my splitter into dads utility shed (after all it was his to begin with). Sold the golf cart we used as a runabout/utility vehicle yesterday and have placed more "stuff" on the for sale list... just have no need/use/space for it. I won't miss the country this winter... but when spring comes around... who knows??

Are you still in Iowa?

I'm seeing some excited chatter online about the Farmer's Almanac prediction for my part of the country. Cold fall weather, snow and very cold starting in December and staying that way until March. So far, it's been unseasonably cool here for September. If we do have a bad winter with lots of snow here in the south, I'll be hanging out in the climate change discussions annoying the alarmists. The rest of my time will be spent trying to sell the firewood I've accumulated around here.

Back