Anyone else fired up their woodstove yet?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lit off my first for the season this afternoon. Made mistake of grabbing scraps off the uglies pile and filled firebox half full. Few minutes later had toshut down all the drafts. Did take the chill off tho. Might be running it 24/7 here in a few days, highs in the 60s lows 40s and 30s. No frost for us here yet but threat of it N Idaho, NE Washington and into MT. Snow predicted tonith NW Mt.
IMG_2421.JPG Yep it snowed:), about 2" when we went through Dillon Mt.

I'm seeing some excited chatter online about the Farmer's Almanac prediction for my part of the country. Cold fall weather, snow and very cold starting in December and staying that way until March. So far, it's been unseasonably cool here for September. If we do have a bad winter with lots of snow here in the south, I'll be hanging out in the climate change discussions annoying the alarmists. The rest of my time will be spent trying to sell the firewood I've accumulated around here.

I see you still don't know the difference between weather and climate

I fired up the stove a couple weekends ago. We had a couple days where It was damp and into the low 40s at night with highs in the low 60s during the day. I burned up some scraps and a handful of bio bricks. I tried to build a small fire but I still overheated he house.

Now we're back to July weather with highs in the mid 80s all week.

Cool, 60s and some 50s coming up. Finally broke the dry spell last night/this moring. 80 days with no rain. That broke the 100 year old record of 73 days. Real rain too. I dont' have a gauge but estimate around 1/2" the way it was raining this morning. That is a lot for this country in one rain. Two more days of showers but it didn't look like it will add mugh more. Stove running 24hr/day and will remain so until we get back to the normal 70s for highs.

Yep, we've had some high 30's - 40's in the AM a few times. Burning some larger pieces of slash I processed from standing dead as its still hitting 60-70's for highs.

Still need to sweep the chimney, re-gasket the doors and install the new catalyst. Might be a projector for next weekend come to think of it. I actually never cleaned the stove out last spring...got busy building a new deck. Same logs stacked next to it, same ash in it from the last fire back in April. Been a busy summer! Finally storing the boats and outboards away and getting the chainsaws and log splitter tuned up.

It was the hottest day of the year today. Usually we are in the 50s and 60s today 90. Still using ac. Woods all ready to go just have to sweep the chimney. I'm in no hurry though. I like to clean the gutters and sweep the chimney at the same time if I can.

No need for a wood fire here in Shushan NY, it was 90 degrees today and is supposed to be that way for most of the week. Of course we are working in a round house in a field with no shade trees. Oh did I mention it's humid too?

Back