anyone else quit cutting due to the heat??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mowingman

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Am I a wimp, or is it just too darn hot to fool with firewood? We have had 17 days in a row of 100 degree or higher temps. I have a trailer loaded with 4 cords of split oak that have been on the trailer 4 weeks, and can just not talk myself into unloading it. This is my first year in the business, and while I want to get stocked up for fall sales, I am not working in this heat. It was 84 degrees at daylight this morning.
Do I need to toughen up, or do most of you guys take a break from this during the heat of the summer??
Jeff

in the spring [when i normally get my annual customers stocked up ] i couldnt get any log length firewood to process due to extremely muddy conditions in the woods . my usual comfort zone is 50 degrees max for doing firewood ,but due to the backlog of orders i have been forced to work above my zone ,now i use 70 as the quitting temp ,work for an hour or so in the a.m. then hit the shower before turning wrenches for a livin , so i guess i am a bigger baby than you lol , i am getting used to seeing all those sweat stains all over the top of the saws , and wife is complaining about the 2 soaked tee shirts that get tossed on the washer each day . 4 cords to deliver then i am caught up to april "11 yeah !!! firewood in july who woulda thunk it ?? cheers jk

Am I a wimp, or is it just too darn hot to fool with firewood? We have had 17 days in a row of 100 degree or higher temps. I have a trailer loaded with 4 cords of split oak that have been on the trailer 4 weeks, and can just not talk myself into unloading it. This is my first year in the business, and while I want to get stocked up for fall sales, I am not working in this heat. It was 84 degrees at daylight this morning.
Do I need to toughen up, or do most of you guys take a break from this during the heat of the summer??
Jeff

Try pouring water all over you and work in the off hours

during the mid to half summer heat season and the few days we see over 85 degrees, i usually set it out.... are average of over 90 degs. is 10 days a summer. with this week coming were headed into a 6 day streach of well over 90 to 99 degs. this time is a good time to take a break and rework all the saws and order a few replacement parts. with a ready supply of rounds waiting to be split, its a good time to work at it in the early mornings and an hour or so before dark! either way the work must go on in the heat or cold.. enjoy our summer as it is ! it could be bone chilled cold or a foot of mud??

Jeff
I stopped this afternoon. Best bet is to work before 11 am during a heat wave. Then let a barmaid in a sexy outfit serve you a cold beer with your lunch and sign off. :biggrinbounce2:

I stopped this afternoon. Best bet is to work before 11 am during a heat wave. Then let a barmaid in a sexy outfit serve you a cold beer with your lunch and sign off. :biggrinbounce2:

great idea? only if you can get it done without the wife cutting you short for a cold one served hot!! lol

I'm with ya! Too Hot! I've decided to get out around 6am and work till 8-9, then time for indoors work!

If you have to be out, drink plenty of water!!

Soon, fall will be here and we will forget about this heat....

You're not the only one. Last Friday was hot. Went and cut wood anyways even though I felt like crap. Went to the Dr. on Sat as it felt like bronchitis and she thought I was crazy for cutting wood. That wood is still on the trailer and will be til Monday. Don't have a choice as I'm helping with storm clean up, I think.

its been hot and humid here.. even if i could cut i wouldn't...but that's just me...i love the coldness of winter better.. you can always put cloths on to keep warm, but you can only take off so much and be legal...:bang::bang:

Not nearly as hot up here as you are going through, but when the humidity gets around 80% and the temp goes over 85, I shut it down.

If I have stuff that I have to get done that bad, I get up around 5:30 and work until it's too hot. Running the splitter isn't so bad, but working with a saw when it's super hot out just plain sucks.

I know a lot of guys though who are forced to work in it because they couldn't get stuff done in the mud this spring. Kinda darned if you do, darned if you don't I guess lol

I know it's been about 90-95 here the last few days and with all my gear or I can only cut for 15-20mins at a time max then I have to stop because the sweat is pouring off me. I have next week off and I plan to have all my wood cut. I might be waking up early to bet the heat if this keeps up.
I don't think it has to do with toughness just what your capable of, the mind migth be willing but if the body isn't then you have to stop.

It's been too hot to even go outside to smoke! 103 plus, we've set four records in the last week, Saturday it was still 100 at 9:30pm!
I've got a couple of tree's to drop but it ain't happening until this crap moves on! Then we got three inches of rain the other night, want to talk about humidity? It's miserable out there, not fit for man nor beast!

We've had 49 days of over 100 degrees, and our longest stretch is 23 days in a row of 100 degrees or hotter.

I cut from 6am until around 10am and then that's it. Thankfully I've only got three firewood clients this year :laugh:

Headin for 88° and sunny today and I'm putting on rubber roof. Funny how I can work on a black rubber roof all day in this heat but I can't convince myself to even LOOK at a saw.

Back