Anyone ever use on of these?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Never have, but some that did are no longer with us... My memory is they were pulled from the market due to liability issues.

I can not comment on the tyre/wheel driven ones,but in the area of France I live, tractor power take off versions are still available for sale. the ones on sale here have 4 lengths off channel welded at right angles to the backplate, so the log is trapped before it gets to the spiral splitting part[still a bit of light blue touch paper & retire to a safe distance set up though]

Yup. Guy missing an arm .... duct tape holding the wiring to the post .... Cheesy stopper under the screw ... you'd not have me workin' in there !

And the other vid, no thanks, I like my fingers where they are.

Actually there are at least two times in the video where you see the guy's other hand. Judging from the way he grabs (more like pushes) a log, it might not be fully finctional.

I can see why the "screw" splitter didn't catch on.

HaHaHa...this subject has come up on here before....an old friend on mine had one of these and used on an Chevy II..6 cy auto....crazy as **** but he used it for a few yrs but while he was shipping out on the lakes his OL had the old junk car hauled off so Pudly had no power unit to drive this "Last Thought of a Backward Child"......we were on a 1000 footer doing overhaul Jan/Feb 1980 in Detroit and he came up with this plan to mount it on and old wimpy tiller steered riding lawnmower frame with a bunch of jack shafts, pillow blocks and belts and drive it with the 8HP Briggs motor......his rational was that it only takes 8HP to run a hydro splitter..so....I told Pudly that I thought he was in error in a number of theories...well Pud had been to MMA and was a certified engineer...I was not....and he got rather indignant with my opinions....so I spoke nothing more of his invention...not a word...even when asked. Winter turned to spring and Pud and I rode bikes together and I kept my 59 Panhead in his barn so as I was getting the bike ready for another season...Pudly was making steady progress and I just happened to be there for the "Sea Trails" LOL!!! I said ...not a word..Pud fired 'er up and it sat there slowly screwin....so he stuck a small piece of maple on it and it duely split the stick...the next stick was about 12' dia with a good sized knot....fearless as ever Pud jambed his second test piece on the screw.....well!!! the whole mess took off across the lawn like duck shot in the azz.....lump..lump..lump....straight for his house...with a 250lb, 5'-7" man dancing all about trying to shut it off. It engaged the house right under the kitchen window which was where the sink was located and his OL was standing there doing dishes and saw the whole thing. When it got to the house it sat there and beat the cadar shingles to bits until it flipped over and broke the sparkplug off and it finally died........I had to go.......quickly....but about crashed my truck from the tears running down my cheeks......we never spoke a word of the "incedent" but the following weekend I saw the contraption at the dump.....it had been set fire to....and hit repeatedly with a blunt object.....

Last edited:
On the subject of crazy splitters, i think this one takes the 2nd place after the wheel of death splitter... :D

[video=youtube;LtgQ-VFRYWc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtgQ-VFRYWc&NR=1[/video]

It sure is a lot faster than hydraulics or spiral splitters tho :D

On the subject of crazy splitters, i think this one takes the 2nd place after the wheel of death splitter... :D

[video=youtube;LtgQ-VFRYWc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtgQ-VFRYWc&NR=1[/video]

If you noticed, the thing only cycles a few inches below the top of the log, and he keeps his hands well below that. Not quite as dangerous as it looks.

I can't see anything bad happening there. I'd rather run a cordwood saw than that thing. :laugh:

That one doesn't look half-bad ! and useful too ! Seems to have plenty of snot, and the guy on the splitter end seems to have all his fingers ....

Spiral splitters, buzz saws, gasoline blowtorches. Just a few of the things we all used (use) that give people shrunken sphincter syndrome. I wish I had $5.00 for every person that told me they knew a half dozen people that had been crushed, decapitated, eviscerated and beheaded by buzzsaws alone. I could pay off my mortgage. I was on another site a while back and guy stated very convincingly that you could easily cut your chest open with a radial arm saw and that's why they weren't made anymore! Naturally I had to link to all those extremely obscure and hard to locate sources for radial arm saws- like Sears and Lowes and Home Depot.

Kinda makes ya wonder how we've survived without a big, cushy bubble to live in all this time, eh?

Wonder what I did with my lawn darts......

I've seen them for a three-point hitch and PTO on a tractor. Always seemed dangerous to me -- lots of ways to get wrapped up in the screw and get hurt.
My grandfather had one of these and it worked ok though a bit scary.This was before you saw gas powered hydraulic splitters.

Spiral splitters, buzz saws, gasoline blowtorches. Just a few of the things we all used (use) that give people shrunken sphincter syndrome. I wish I had $5.00 for every person that told me they knew a half dozen people that had been crushed, decapitated, eviscerated and beheaded by buzzsaws alone. I could pay off my mortgage. I was on another site a while back and guy stated very convincingly that you could easily cut your chest open with a radial arm saw and that's why they weren't made anymore! Naturally I had to link to all those extremely obscure and hard to locate sources for radial arm saws- like Sears and Lowes and Home Depot.

Kinda makes ya wonder how we've survived without a big, cushy bubble to live in all this time, eh?

Wonder what I did with my lawn darts......

Sometimes I think all these safety devices have dilluted the chlorine in the gene pool.

One safety slogan that has stuck with me for a long time was from an industrial fire safety course. You can run a dangerous plant safely, and you can run a safe plant dangerously.

The flip side of that is you can never make something foolproof, because the you can never out design a determined fool.

Latest posts

Back