Anyone got an idea on what species this tree is - potential milling

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I live in MD where Redwoods are not common. I just had a fellow give me a nice Dawn Redwood log. Got 3 nice 8 footers out of it. Looks very much like my Dawn, my bark my be a little shaggier, but close.. I believe that the Dawn Redwood and Metasequoia are the same thing, Joe.

I'm far from an expert in the taxonomy of trees but that looks about like the redwood needles we have here. I'd mill it for sure.

Looks like query solved, thanks to all for your efforts, if I get to mill it I'll post a few pictures.
Have a great Easter

Um I'm not 100% its sequoia or subspecies so if others wish to claim please chime in its needles do seem a tad small to me. In oz I only worked on a few in my time ... I last visited California forests 1989 so pushin my memory as well

Apparently she was told it was a red wood by a local Arborist but what species is still unknown

he could be wrong though

Bald Cypress. upload_2016-3-28_10-56-55.jpeg Eastern Hemlock
images
Coast Redwood
Leaves-and-cone-of-coast-redwood.jpg
Sequoia
220px-Sequoiadendron_giganteum_MHNT.BOT.2004.0.191.jpg
220px-Daniel_Fuchs.CC-BY-SA.Sequoiadendron_giganteum.jpg

It looks like a bald cypress, native here where I live in LoUiSiAna. Warm climate. Tolerates drought and flood, but not shade on seedlings. Found growing in lakes and swamps. Highly prized for lumber. Very decay resistant. Taxodichum is close to the Latin.

Back