Anyone hauled firewood in an end dump?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
. Folks who cut and sell often cut their loads at 20 to 22'' so that they can legally say they are selling 12 cords , but not. Thanks

No sure I follow. What does the length have to do with "being able" able to cheat on the wood?

Length plays into the calculation of volume, so it'd just mean less rows over 16" lengths.

No sure I follow. What does the length have to do with "being able" able to cheat on the wood?

Length plays into the calculation of volume, so it'd just mean less rows over 16" lengths.
I’m not aware of anyone near me selling 128cf cords. In Texas it’s sold by 64sqft face. Even the macho man who tells you “my rack better be full” expects a 64 sqft face stack that’s whatever length he requested to fit his stove or whatever.
I have enough trouble because most all my competition’s stacks only measure 55 or so sqft on the face. Keep in mind also the 64sqft face stacks average picked up on the yard price is only $150 here for seasoned or dead cut wood. I deliver and stack local for 175. I don’t usually handle it, just straight from pasture to trailer to new owner.

I’m not aware of anyone near me selling 128cf cords. In Texas it’s sold by 64sqft face. Even the macho man who tells you “my rack better be full” expects a 64 sqft face stack that’s whatever length he requested to fit his stove or whatever.
I have enough trouble because most all my competition’s stacks only measure 55 or so sqft on the face. Keep in mind also the 64sqft face stacks average picked up on the yard price is only $150 here for seasoned or dead cut wood. I deliver and stack local for 175. I don’t usually handle it, just straight from pasture to trailer to new owner.

It's a regional thing, here in Oregon by Law Firewood can only be sold in cords, or measured fractions of cords, the "Campfire Bundles", Excepted, but they usually give a cubic footage measurement which could be figured into a cord percentage.

I'm Not saying that law is Strictly enforced, plenty of guys selling firewood by the "Pick Up Load", and they Usually aren't hassled unless they get some complaints, but it could bite someone unscrupulous where they sit.

Before joining AS, I had never heard of a "Face Cord", all wood measurements were by the cord, or fraction of. Oregon Weights and Measures also used the term "Rick" of wood, which it describes IIRC, as 1/3 of a cord, typically 4'x8'x16", which would be a 16" "Face Cord", but other than in the regulations I had never heard either "Rick" or "Face Cord" used by the average citizen.

It's all about the consumer being able to compare prices, similar to how store shelf tags often give the price per ounce of an item, you can't compare without standardized units of measure, but there are those who find that "Inconvenient" sometimes for a reason;):surprised3::(

Doug :cheers:

I’ve had end dump gravel trucks dump 10 cord loads of cut and split in my yard many times. Also 40 yard bins off blocked wood from arborists. This load looks like it will yield around 5 cords. Started smashing it up yesterday.

Attachments

• 6E1C7CF8-8016-456E-AD29-51C4137BB9FE.jpeg
    6E1C7CF8-8016-456E-AD29-51C4137BB9FE.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 15
  • 462AEF94-8FBA-482D-A99B-F6112DC12A23.jpeg
    462AEF94-8FBA-482D-A99B-F6112DC12A23.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 14

Latest posts

Back