Anyone hauled firewood in an end dump?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SamT1

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I have a customer that’s expanding his business and needs more wood. We’re about 4-5 hours apart. He has been coming for 3 cords at a time, but has access to an end dump trailer, I’m guessing like the guys haul road materials in. I’m not thinking it will be fun to load. But I can bum a loader from a friend. I’m curious what it might hold? I’m thinking not a whole lot 10 cords? May be better off getting a live floor box van. I have a friend that has one and is in the off season of his business so I could take it and take my time loading it.

Yes,once to Colorado.
Better stack it in there.
Dumping without a liner will be very interesting, may flip that sucker.
Make sure it has a two way gate also.
Square box,not a V or half round.
Took 52500 lbs if I remember correctly

Firewood weighs 6,000 lbs a cord green, 3,000 lbs seasoned. Any scales on your highway?

My company needed steel moved from ct to nyc. They rented a box truck I left at 4:30am and ran over loaded by a few 1,000 lbs. I made the run twice. Luckily not one scale was open.

How in hell is driving 4-5 hours for 3 cords of wood cost effective? I won't drive more than 20 minutes for free wood.
He can’t get the kinda wood I have where he is. I’ve had guys fly in from Florida and rent a U haul truck and load it down and drive home.

shoot I drive three to four hours for a pickup & trailer load... and i sitll make out compared to fuel oil or propane. Fuel costs here in japan are insane and most folks do not heat their houses unless the temps drop below40 on a regular basis....just a kotatsu and extra clothes. Me well...merica...why not?

Twenty years ago I sold one of my old semi tractor's to a scrapper. He used it to haul scrap and he was hauling firewood from south east Nebraska to Colorado. He started out using a old flat floor grain trailer loading and unloading by hand. Then he bought a end dump trailer and that worked ok until he rolled the rig over in Colorado unloading the load. I have owned a couple end dump trailers over the years that we used hauling different materials in them for the farm had a couple close calls unloading. I won't own another. You hardly ever see a end dump trailer around here any more. The side dump trailers have taken over for the construction company's.

A local by me sells to a guy who hauls a end dumping semi trailer to Chicago (3hours one way). He hold 12 cords. I loaded him once. It was with a John Deere 524 loader with a skeleton bucket on it. Not sure on the weights or anything. I was told to load him full and charge him for 12 cord. And this is split firewood scooped out of a pile.

Well the guy decided to bring some sort of big dump trailer. He says plan for 5, we shall see!

I have seen several 18 wheelers with an end dump with splits sticking over the top rail going down the hwy but never seen one dump wood. I've seen it done, but have no idea how much it held.

There is nothing wrong with using an end dump trailer as it works well for its intended purpose. You can not get any where near 12 cords of hardwoods in a trailer here. We have a Max gross of 80,000. If you do not have to go over scales then fill her up to 90,000 or even a 1000,000, If you are hauling raw logs then a logging truck is the way to go however you will have to get a brand. A logging trailer is the lightest simple way to go with just moving wood. I have seen sets of doubles and singles really cheap. What about a set of transfers as I would think they could handle 15 cords easy, but overloaded. When I haul most of the time my dump truck and trailer is the best for me. I have two trailers that will hold 3 cords each. When possible I like to leave loaded so as not to unload then turn around and load again. Each transfer cost $50 a cord so try to keep delivery simple. Thanks

Two kinds of end-dumps.With frame and Frame-less
With frame ,heavier but a LITTLE more stable.
Frame-less is my preference, dumped 10s of thousands of loads.
Yes,had some close calls,but prefer a frame-less.The liner needs to go at least halfway up the sides.
I don't understand how side dumps are taking over?
How are they stacking their loads?Drive-by?

Woodchuck71
I was talking about the construction folks that are hauling dirt, rock, construction debris. A normal dump truck around here on a construction job is a rare site. In this state with four axle tractor and a three axle side dump you can go 95,000. I did see a load of firewood in a side dump last winter probably a construction guy hauling his winter supply.

There is nothing wrong with using an end dump trailer as it works well for its intended purpose. You can not get any where near 12 cords of hardwoods in a trailer here. We have a Max gross of 80,000. If you do not have to go over scales then fill her up to 90,000 or even a 1000,000, If you are hauling raw logs then a logging truck is the way to go however you will have to get a brand. A logging trailer is the lightest simple way to go with just moving wood. I have seen sets of doubles and singles really cheap. What about a set of transfers as I would think they could handle 15 cords easy, but overloaded. When I haul most of the time my dump truck and trailer is the best for me. I have two trailers that will hold 3 cords each. When possible I like to leave loaded so as not to unload then turn around and load again. Each transfer cost $50 a cord so try to keep delivery simple. Thanks

You do know DOT has portable scales right!!

10 cords would be around 25 tons. On a 5 axle setup that'd likely be pushing being overweight.

Without stacking it'd be a guess on how much wood is loaded.

Does California CHP have portable scales I am sure, but in over 40 years have never seen seen one. In Texas a little different in that they are used more. As far as hauling I know guys who haul 10,000 lbs over on a routine basis. With wood it is an agricultural product that has more variations than other products. Still getting caught and convicted could be a $1 a lb or more. Rule of thumb stay away from DOT. Thanks

Rancher2,I see what you're saying now.
Personally I have never pulled a side dump.
Friends have,I stick with raising it up HIGH!
Did know a guy that bought 1 for a road job,1st day the dirt kinda stuck in there and it kept on going.
I've lost 1 end dump when SHTF and out of all the times to blow a tire,rear axle left side blew out before it hit 3rd stage.
Insurance man wasn't happy,but that's why I pay it.
Wife wasn't happy either, come to think o

10 cords would be around 25 tons. On a 5 axle setup that'd likely be pushing being overweight.
Without stacking it'd be a guess on how much wood is loaded.

My truck and trailer currently is 7 cords at 35,000lb a set of doubles maybe can get 12 cords if wood is super dry and not live Oak. Folks who cut and sell often cut their loads at 20 to 22'' so that they can legally say they are selling 12 cords , but not. Thanks

My truck and trailer currently is 7 cords at 35,000lb a set of doubles maybe can get 12 cords if wood is super dry and not live Oak. Folks who cut and sell often cut their loads at 20 to 22'' so that they can legally say they are selling 12 cords , but not. Thanks
Yea mine are all 18-20”. Mesquite is really crooked so a cord is only 3200#

Never said I put 12 cords on the truck. I only said I was told to charge home for it. And besides, at 3,500lbs per dried cord of hard wood puts the load to 21 tones. Well within the reach of a semi tump trailer.

Back