Anyone have experience with both, the Stihl MS261 and the MS291??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guysnydr

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Trying to decide which one. Anyone out there that has used them both and can give me an opinion on the actual performance difference between them? Trying to decide if worth the jump to the MS261 for basic homeowner & camp use. Thanks in advance.

Trying to decide which one. Anyone out there that has used them both and can give me an opinion on the actual performance difference between them? Trying to decide if worth the jump to the MS261 for basic homeowner & camp use. Thanks in advance.
Welcome to AS fellow keystoner.
I started out with the predecessor to the 291. The MS 290. Not a bad saw but bulky and heavy for the power. The 261 is light and has plenty of power and I would pick it up anytime over the 291. That said if you are only doing occasional cutting you could probably get away with the 291 and save some $. BTW I'm down in York county.

I am coming from an older pro saw, a Jonsered 2163, which was a hot rod of a saw. I know neither of these are going to run like that. I did use a MS271 and was not all that impressed with the speed of cut, so I am wanting bigger/faster than that, but still lightweight. Thank you! Trying to decide, for my use, if there is a good reason "performance-wise" to pay more for the MS261.

So would you say that the 291 would cut along side the 261, or is the 261 faster? Chain speed about the same? Any comparison help would be appreciated. Thank you!

I’m inclined to say that the 291 might have a hair more torque but the 261 will cut faster for sure. I’ve cut 30” oak with mine with a 18” bar by just cutting both sides and was impressed by it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m inclined to say that the 291 might have a hair more torque but the 261 will cut faster for sure. I’ve cut 30” oak with mine with a 18” bar by just cutting both sides and was impressed by it.
30"oak! That's what the 462 you have is for.:laugh:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wish you were a bit closer you could come and run both. Like I mentioned earlier I pick up the 261 first. Really big wood and the 462 gets the nod.

Yeah, I wish we were closer too. Thank you for the offer though! Would take you up on it if I were coming down that way. Do you have a 291 also? One thing I loved about my old Jonsered was the chain speed. Many that thing would fly through wood. If the 261 is faster than the 291 that might sell me. In the grand scheme of things the difference in cost of $130 bucks or whatever it was is not the end of the world if I would be happier with it. But I also don't want to spend more money if they are close in regards to performance.

Yeah, I wish we were closer too. Thank you for the offer though! Would take you up on it if I were coming down that way. Do you have a 291 also? One thing I loved about my old Jonsered was the chain speed. Many that thing would fly through wood. If the 261 is faster than the 291 that might sell me. In the grand scheme of things the difference in cost of $130 bucks or whatever it was is not the end of the world if I would be happier with it. But I also don't want to spend more money if they are close in regards to performance.

They're probably not far apart in "performance". The 261 is much lighter and more fun to use. It will have better resale value too.

MS261... The 261 is the most HP in it's footprint. The 291 is NOT. The 391 is. Got the picture?
Hey Steve.
Most likely you're thinking of the 290/390 as they are on the same platform. The 271 and the 291 are on the same chassis, and then the 311/391 share the same chassis iirc, but I am more of a husky guy lol.

Ok, so it appears that there is an obvious answer here. I haven't heard anything bad really about the 291, however 100% of the MS261 owner's comments are positive ones, so I think that is the way to go. It is obvious that those of you who own the 261 are fond of it. Not that I want to spend more, but I don't consider an extra $130 to be that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things, and if it is a better saw. If we were talking hundreds of dollars more, that might be a little different.

Just to add to the hype on the MS261, I stopped by the saw shop on my lunch break and the sales guy was giving some opinions on the 271, 291, and 311. There happened to be a customer standing at the counter and overheard my questions. He politely walked over and said that he owned several of the Stihl saws on display there for his business. He pointed right to the MS261 and said "if you want a real nice saw, consider that MS261"! He couldn't say enough good about it. So, it is obvious that this saw is a winner to those who own or have used it. I think it is the obvious answer for me too based on all this.

Latest posts

Back