Anyone have experience with both, the Stihl MS261 and the MS291??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MS261... The 261 is the most HP in it's footprint. The 291 is NOT. The 391 is. Got the picture?

False statement the 271 and 291 share the same chassis. The 311 and the 391 are a different slightly bigger chassis.

One advantage to the 261 is the m-tronic you will never have to tune a carb again

If you can afford a 261 get one and dont look back they are in my opinion the best 50cc class saw.
I had a 261cm I really wanted to like it but it was the most undependable saw I’ve ever owned. It was not the latest vs2 but it had hot start issues that drove me nuts. I much prefer the 550 December 2015 I’ve ran the crap out of it always starts and keeps running and has good power stock. It will outrun my stock 346xpne. And I love Stihl saws just as much as husky/jred. I’ve had several 026/260’s and husky rules the 50cc class

the 261 runs .325 chain so you can get a little bit more out of it due to the narrower kerf, the 261 being a pro saw also means if you ever have to replace the cylinder you dont have to split the crankcase.

Ok guys, I pulled the trigger! I sincerely appreciate all the comments and advice. I just went down to the Stihl dealer and am the proud owner of a shiny new MS261!! Local shop is Thompson's Outdoor Power Equipment (Williamsport PA), they have a sale running for $539 for either the std carb version or the Mtronic version. I went with the carb version. He said if you are doing a lot of limbing the carb version might be better. Guess the Mtronic likes longer steady revs, over the frequent up and down rpms for limbing. I do a fair amount of both so went with the std carb.

So now I am really excited to use this this thing! I LOVE the size and weight. If it runs as good as everyone says then I am sure I will be more than thrilled!

M-TRONIC OWNERS, did I do the right thing getting the std carb version or should I have gone Mtronic? Curious on the opinions.

BTW, a plug for my local dealer mentioned above.... GREAT people, highly recommend if anyone is in my area. Solid trade figure on my 029 Super also! Very good experience.

I sincerely appreciate all the comments and advice BTW, made this decision very easy.

Thanks all very much! I liked the price of the 291 a little better honestly. But I have had Pro saws, and other pro-level equipment versus homeowner and retail store products, and I know I will be a heck of a lot happier in the long run. I can be a cheap SOB sometimes, but I also know you get what you pay for and so sometimes I just need the right nudge to get me pointed back in the right direction. :) Thanks for the nudge. I am happy with the purchase.

Back