Anyone have experience with the PATU DC65 chipper

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

P Holmander

Reaction score
Does anyone know if the anvil plate on this chipper can be flipped around. On mine the bottom and top corners are worn where it meets the blade cutting surface. On some chippers, you can flip it or rotate it so essentially you can renew the surface four times. It is tough to access it so before I try to remove it, would be nice to know if it can be reversed. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks

I would remove and see, sounds like you will have to anyway. Chances are good that it is reversible.
Jeff

Thanks Jeff. I really don't have to remove it, but if I set the clearance on the blades as it is, at the top and bottom of the anvil, the wear will cause those areas to try and create a larger chip, which might clog up the discharge chute. The area it is in, is difficult to access with your hands. There is a large sheet metal cover over the opposite end of where the anvil mounts. There might be a small slot there for sliding it in or out. The only other option I see is to remove the bearing caps and lift the flywheel off the machine out of the way. But in order to do that, you have to remove the pto shaft and slip clutch which is allot of work. The anvil plate is held on by two large bolts and I'm assuming the plate is threaded to receive the bolts. I had my wife slide her arm inside the machine as mine is just too large to fit in the area on the backside of the plate.
She felt no nuts opposite the mounting bolts which makes sense because if there were, and they ever came loose, it would destroy the blades instantly. I am going to try and view it with a mirror, or remove the cover altogether to see if it is accessible from that end. I knew it was a long shot finding the info I'm looking for, but I searched the net and there are some old posts from guys who owned the machine I have. I'm hoping someone will see my question and chime in.

Is this mounted to a tractor?
Jeff
No, not right now. I bought the chipper a few years ago. It was new, never used. The blades needed sharpening, so I removed them and took them to a sharpening shop and had them done. When not in use, I take it off the tractor. It is a 3 point hitch style chipper. Here is a link to a vendor that used to sell them. http://arrivaldate.com/portablesawmill_com/brushchippers/dc65.html

I don't think they are in business anymore because I tried calling their number, and it is out of service. Mine is identical to the one they advertise and it has the hydraulic feed. It works very well. I have been pleased with it and we have chipped allot of limbs and brush with it.

Back